Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forest panorama - a Velvia tribute  (Read 11602 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Forest panorama - a Velvia tribute
« on: January 07, 2013, 02:41:32 am »

Hi All,

This is my first serious try at a panoramic landscape. The scene was too nice to pass up. The sun was diffused by solid cloud cover and recent rains have nearly denuded the coniferous trees in Charles Tilden Park above Berkeley, but the colors remain vibrant.

I am posting my two favorite crops from a 6 image panorama stitched together with 16mp files. One thing I noticed that I wasn't too happy about were some artifacts from what I assume is part of the Photoshop photo-merge process.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid the worst of these, please let me know. In this particular set of images, they don't seem to draw attention or detract from the overall impression due to the rather chaotic composition. I think they are easiest to spot as sort of "sworly" out of focus bits on sections of otherwise in-focus tree trunks.

More about the process I used and a few different crops here and here.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:05:14 am by gerafotografija »

sdwilsonsct

Re: Forest panorama - a Velvia tribute
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:40:07 am »

The delicate structure goes well with the subtle colours.

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:46:45 am »

It's not often that we see short distance forest as panorama. It works very well here and the colors & lightness of the scene are perfect.

As for avoiding artifacts in pp, it's not easy but you'll probably need to edit the layer masks by hand. Other tools like PTGui or AutoPano offer more options.
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:24 pm »

Gorgeous detail. Well scene, captured and processed. It takes "courage" not to show us "everything", but rather to be so severe with the cropping, paring away all the extraneous details to the final result shown here - AND to do this as a panoramic... well done!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:57:32 am »

I actually really like the abstract feel that #1 takes on.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:57 am »

Very unusual, but very effective.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:14:29 pm »

Perhaps composition is the interesting thing about this kind of picture -- there seem fewer obvious approaches and more possibilities. (Well, fewer obvious approaches below the sky to avoid CA and above the forest floor to avoid clutter.)
Where were you positioned to allow this mid-level view into the forest?

Good point Isaac. Now that you mention it, I think I was standing across a narrow river gully from the tree line pictured.

I suspect I did not notice the view during previous visits because there is usually a nearly solid wall of foliage, but recent weather knocked down leaves that would otherwise remain through the mild Winter around here. I'll definitely watch for other opportunistic vantage points like this.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up