Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One or Two SSD for new PC Build  (Read 18873 times)

Gregs

One or Two SSD for new PC Build
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:56:33 pm »

I'm planning a new PC build for CS6/lightroom. Is there any advantage to using 2 SSD's (one for OS/program files, second for  PS scratch disk), or can I use a single larger SSD with 2 partitions  - one for the scratch disk?? (eg, 120 +160, vs 240+). Data storage will be done on a standard HDD. Also, how large an SSD is needed for scratch disk?? I'll be working with 200MB+ files and multiple layers. Thanks.

Sheldon N

Re: One or Two SSD for new PC Build
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:42:06 pm »

I'd add RAM first and foremost, that will avoid any need for scratch disk. 16GB or 32GB depending on whether the particular version of Windows supports it (I think some versions of Win 7 were limited to 16GB RAM max).

No point in partitioning an SSD, there's no mechanical advantage to doing so.

I chose to go with a dual SSD setup, but mainly it was so I could have a dedicated SSD for my Lightroom catalog. I do put the ACR cache and the photoshop scratch disk on the second SSD as well, but I don't think the SSD gets much scratch disk activity since I've got 16GB RAM. I have dual 128GB SSD's, the LR/ACR/Scratch disk is about 1/3 to 1/2 full as is the OS drive.

My average file size in Photoshop is between 300-900MB.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Gregs

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:59 pm »

IF there's no advantage to partitioning an SSD, then I assume there's a speed advantage to separate SSDs vs. running the OS/CS6 = scratch disk on same drive?? I am planning on 16 GB of ram.
Off topic, but any thoughts on 1155 vs 2011 chipsets?

tived

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:39:42 am »

Use multiple SSD's look at the flow of data as a three step process.
1, OS AND APPS
2, SCRATCH AND TEMP DISK
3, DATA STORAGE

And you obviously need to have some sort of backup.

Each of these can be made up of multiple SSDs as well.

This applies for both Windows and Mac

Henrik

Ps: partitioning is not practical with SSDs, it's was done to break larger disks into smaller units, or to limited the area where the disk was being read.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:03:49 am »

Gregs:

There has *never* been an advantage to partioning for performance sake, other than "short stroking" - which means partioning a magnetic based drive well under under it's capacity - essentially reducing the drives read/write head movement.  Partioning a drive woud defeat this.

A SSD doesn't have a physical read/write head; short stroking / partioning - don't apply....

As far as 1155 vs: 2011 - search the forum, I've written about this as well as others.....

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:14:50 pm »

Use multiple SSD's look at the flow of data as a three step process.
1, OS AND APPS
2, SCRATCH AND TEMP DISK
3, DATA STORAGE

Where would you put the LR catalogue in the set up above?

In my new build I am considering 2 SSD drives and 2 regular spin drives for data.
For the SSD with my OS and apps i will go with reliability and an Intel. But I am not sure about the SSD that I will dedicate as a SCRATCH AND TEMP DISK. What is the minimum size SSD for this task? (I like to be frugal). And I understand the that SSDs seem to break down more often than spin drives. Are ADATA, Samsung or Crucial drives reliable as a cost cutting choice?

nemo295

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »

Get one big SSD and keep enough space free for scratch, if Photoshop even needs it. But plenty of available RAM is most important. The rule of thumb for Photoshop is to have enough unused RAM equal to at least 5 times the uncompressed size of the image you're working on.

markwilliams279

• stellar Photo Recovery software
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:10:48 am »

Yes it is very much needed to increase the RAM first. GO for 2 SSD rather than having one large ssd  In one drive keep os and use the second one for storing other things. It would help you to get saved from data loss pro, slow speed issue etc in future. As for a year it would work fine but with time it could be little slow for sure if you use 1 large ssd.

douglas frost

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:14 pm »

another reason to only have o/s and programs on one ssd is if you need to re-install the o/s, it's much simpler and quicker.

tived

• http://
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »

Hi

Sorry for the late reply,

I probably don't fit the standard computer user with 20 SSD's over three RAID controllers, and still counting :-)

In my I would place the LR catalogue, either on the TEMP/SCRATCH drive or add a forth SSD drive for it.

SCRATCH disk size, all depends on the type of work you do, I do large pano's so I need a large temp/scratch disk approx. 1TB

but I would just add two 120 SSD;s and stripe them, in my case I use 8 SSD's for this for the improved speed increase!

All my spinning disks are in NAS

Henrik

Where would you put the LR catalogue in the set up above?

In my new build I am considering 2 SSD drives and 2 regular spin drives for data.
For the SSD with my OS and apps i will go with reliability and an Intel. But I am not sure about the SSD that I will dedicate as a SCRATCH AND TEMP DISK. What is the minimum size SSD for this task? (I like to be frugal). And I understand the that SSDs seem to break down more often than spin drives. Are ADATA, Samsung or Crucial drives reliable as a cost cutting choice?
Pages: [1]   Go Up