Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what about Samsung?  (Read 11771 times)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
what about Samsung?
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:10:18 am »

There were rumors about two years ago that Samsung was developing a medium format camera that would change the market... What happened with this? what do you think?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: what about Samsung?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:14:54 am »

There were rumors about two years ago that Samsung was developing a medium format camera that would change the market... What happened with this? what do you think?

It would make little sense for them.

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

Francois

BJL

what about Samsung? Blog and forum fantasies vs reality
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:32 pm »

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/exclusive-samsung-goes-medium-format-canon-and-nikon-should-be-worried/
That bogus rumor from 2011 has it all when it comes to wishful thinking about unicorn products: not just a mass-market camera maker going into a format bigger than 36x24mm, but a _square_ sensor.

It reminds me of an old saying about horses:
"If rumors were products, we'd all have medium format cameras in our pockets."

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:44:22 pm »

How about this rumor (which I just made up):
Kodak (that you all thought was dead) is secretly working on a full-frame 8x10" DSLR with a dymanic range of 23.2 stops and a suggested retail price of $379.99.  ::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:55 pm »

a full-frame 8x10" DSLR with a dymanic range of 23.2 stops
They cannot do that because DXO's graphs cannot display such numbers....
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:59:56 pm »

Weird, Nikon and Canon don't offer medium format cameras…

Not really.
They are very close to MF quality, have way more functionality and a huge market.
I really don't see them being interested in a shrinking market.
On top of that both Canon and Nikon know that they have up their sleeves. Non bayer array sensor technology
could be the next large leap in IQ.

I think if anyone were to get into MF it would be Fuji with all their MF lens expertise. A MF digital with more DSLR functionality would be a
prestigious product for Fuji to have. However I wounder if it is really something they need. Personally I think that scaling up the Xpro-1
quality to a full frame DSLR would be a big enough step forward.

I think that both Nikon and Canon would do better by pursuing motion picture cameras than delve into MF.

Regarding Samsung. The only reason I could see for them coming out with an MF camera would be to
give the brand more prestige as a camera manufacturer. This could be a good more to bolster sales of their other cameras.
Samsung recently launched a camera that runs on the Android OS. IT would be very interesting to have a professional
camera that runs on the android OS. IT would make developing custom applications very interesting.

FredBGG

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:05:21 pm »

Dragon sensor from Red

Loads of dynamic range, but small sensor.

francois

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:48 am »

Quote from: francois
Weird, Nikon and Canon don't offer medium format cameras…
Not really.
They are very close to MF quality, have way more functionality and a huge market.

Fred,
"Weird" was in reference to the rumor not to the fact that Canon & Nikon have no medium format camera in their line. I can't think why C & N would step in medium format market at the moment. It doesn't make sense.
Francois

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:11:02 am »

Well, a collegue of mine talked to a rep at Samsung Sweden... He kinda confirmed that there might be something like this in the works. As Fred say, they want to improve their rep as camera company. They have sooooo much money to spend and want to be nr one on all fealds. Cellphones, computers, whites, TVs... Why not cameras?

gerald.d

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:31:43 am »

If you really want to check out rumours such as this one, then an interesting place to start would be to search LinkedIn for current Samsung employees with a background in MF...

FredBGG

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »

Well, a collegue of mine talked to a rep at Samsung Sweden... He kinda confirmed that there might be something like this in the works. As Fred say, they want to improve their rep as camera company. They have sooooo much money to spend and want to be nr one on all fealds. Cellphones, computers, whites, TVs... Why not cameras?

However one has to consider if there is really any validity to medium format bringing a company any photographic prestige in the eyes of consumers.

There was a time when medium format had a definite and significant IQ superiority. There was also a time when medium format had significant prestige
in the eyes of the public. MF was the camera that went into space, that for example is not the case today.

Just look at the last two Pirelli calendars. Shot mainly with 35mm DSLR with a few shot with MF. This is the sort of high end luxury/fashiony/glamor
publication where Samsung would like to be seen, but if this kind of publication also demonstrates that 35mm DSLR and MFD are more than adequate....
well where does the advantage of having a MFD product

There is also another thing to be considered. Visibility. A company like Samsung would want a flagship camera that is going to be seem.
Not many people are going to sling big clunky MF cameras around their necks and stroll around.

I also think that if Samsung had the intention of making a big push in photography
that involved medium format in the equation they would have bought Pentax.

I think that when it comes to Samsung it's more likely that you will see more movement in a relationship with google than MFD.

Also with Samsung being an electronics giant you are more likely to see big advancements in sensors and camera operating systems from them that stuffing
megapixels into the older concept of MFD.

It would be interesting to see what a giant like Samsung could do with for example Sigma.

bcooter

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 04:20:28 pm »

However one has to consider if there is really any validity to medium format bringing a company any photographic prestige in the eyes of consumers.

There was a time when medium format had a definite and significant IQ superiority. There was also a time when medium format had significant prestige
in the eyes of the public. MF was the camera that went into space, that for example is not the case today.

Just look at the last two Pirelli calendars. Shot mainly with 35mm DSLR with a few shot with MF.

snip

Validity in photography is and probably always will be from what imagery is shot with what camera.

For dslrs it's normally sports.  A bunch of white lenses at the Olympics, or the super bowl moves people towards Canon, Black Lenses to Nikon.

I'm not saying brands can't be invented (RED) or changed (Target) in the mind of consumers, but if Samsung made a whiz bang professional camera tomorrow I think it would be a difficult sale in the professional ranks.

Even Sony who bought Minolta, has Zeiss lenses and has moved their dslrs to the pro league aren't the first choice in the pro league, sports, journalism, advertising or art.

When Nikon came out with the D3, I was at our Dallas Studio and the camera supplier I use when I'm there.  On one saturday I watched 4 people walk out with at least $70,000 of long black lenses.  All were upper management/ceo types and all were as happy as clams.

Consequently when the D3x was out for about a year I asked this same supplier how many they sold.  they said about 10 to 15 in the first month.  I asked how many to professionals . . . 0.

Now if Apple made a professional camera, with their brand awareness and their marketing it would probably dominate in two years.

(That doesn't mean Samsung isn't good, it just means it's sold to a different crowd and doesn't have the perception of other brands).

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:28:12 pm by bcooter »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 04:23:17 pm »

Hi,

I think RED essentially make HDR. Two exposure merged into one frame.

Best regards
Erik

Dragon sensor from Red

Loads of dynamic range, but small sensor.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:48 pm »

Hi,

I guess DxO knows hows to draws such graphs... Also DxO is one of the few actors who actually publish measured data.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 04:32:28 pm »

Hi,

Possible? Yes! Probable? Not.

Why not? Well, it is about sales. The smaller formats are good enough for most work. I guess that MF is for demanding professionals and for connoisseurs, for both groups trade marks mean a lot. It's is also about building a system, sensor, camera and lenses.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

FredBGG

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

Validity in photography is and probably always will be from what imagery is shot with what camera.

For dslrs it's normally sports.  A bunch of white lenses at the Olympics, or the super bowl moves people towards Canon, Black Lenses to Nikon.

I'm not saying brands can't be invented (RED) or changed (Target) in the mind of consumers, but if Samsung made a whiz bang professional camera tomorrow I think it would be a difficult sale in the professional ranks.

Even Sony who bought Minolta, has Zeiss lenses and has moved their dslrs to the pro league aren't the first choice in the pro league, sports, journalism, advertising or art.

When Nikon came out with the D3, I was at our Dallas Studio and the camera supplier I use when I'm there.  On one saturday I watched 4 people walk out with at least $70,000 of long black lenses.  All were upper management/ceo types and all were as happy as clams.

Consequently when the D3x was out for about a year I asked this same supplier how many they sold.  they said about 10 to 15 in the first month.  I asked how many to professionals . . . 0.

Now if Apple made a professional camera, with their brand awareness and their marketing it would probably dominate in two years.

(That doesn't mean Samsung isn't good, it just means it's sold to a different crowd and doesn't have the perception of other brands).

IMO

BC

I think it's a misconception that 35mm DSLR are mainly associated with sports photography.

Validation in the broad market does come to a certain from what is shot with what equipment.

Fashion from what I see is being more and more shot with 35mm DSLR, even in studio.
Even at the highest and "trendiest" levels.

Just look at http://inezandvinoodh.com/. They shoot for Vogue and Harpers Bazaar, Louis Vitton, Dior, Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent

They shoot 35mm DSLR.

Both Canon and Nikon make both high speed cameras designed predominantly for sports and higher MP cameras for
other purposes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:03:49 am by FredBGG »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 08:44:53 pm »

Fred, these are some of the most amazing videos I've seen. Lady Gaga just ratifies herself as the most amazing woman alive.
Thanks for the link!
Eduardo

I

Just look at http://inezandvinoodh.com/. They shoot for Vogue and Harpers Bazaar, Louis Vitton, Dior, Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent

FredBGG

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:59 pm »

Fred, these are some of the most amazing videos I've seen. Lady Gaga just ratifies herself as the most amazing woman alive.
Thanks for the link!
Eduardo

I can confirm she's quite amazing. I've worked with her twice. She is also simply one of the most charming people I have ever met.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up