Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Straps  (Read 24077 times)

DaveL

• http://
Re: Camera Straps
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:53 am »

Hello,

If you are feed up as much as I have with camera straps you might want to try what I did.

I found this company in the US called Berkeley Point who sell these very well made spring clips.

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/stainless_clips.html

The clip I use for my Fuji X10 is the "Micro" and the clip for my Nikon D800E and D800 is the "Nano"

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon!  I can find quite a few uses for those.

I now use a Wapiti strap. I used a Domke gripper strap for many years. Bought a Black Rapid strap,l and used it until recently on my d300s. However, I don't like their modified carabiner. Much happier with the Wapiti strap.

jrsforums

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:32 am »

I've never trusted quick release thingies holding my camera (if they can, they will), which rules out OpTech and many other straps of that type.  For years I have been using Domke straps without the metal swivels (I also don't like anything metal close to my camera... if it can hit a lens, it will... which has kept me from using the otherwise remarkable original Domke bags: flying metal fasteners).  The woven-in rubber strips on the strap have always worked well for me, even on slick nylon jackets, the strap is very flexible, comfortable on my neck and, if need be, wraps easily around my wrist when I want to carry the camera that way.

I have tried most of the straps over he years, including op/tech, upstrap, etc.  Loved 'em, but my eventual all had some problems.  one problem with all of them was bulk, particularly when putting back in bag.

I am now using the Domke straps for a number of reasons.  The rubber strips are really amazing.  When tight on your clothing they do not move at all.  A little shrug to loosen and you can zip the strap around to get the camera where you want.

The really big reason for going with the Domke is that I can make it any length I want.  Most straps are, for me too short.  I want my camera down a round my waist...either off the should or, quite often, bandolier style, across my body.  Bandolier style is better for long carries, keeps to snug to body, and gets most of the weight and torque on the legs rather than ones back.  As mentioned above, a quick shrug and the camera is free to me moved around, similar to black rapid, but with strap sliding around.

It uses standard 3/8" webbing, that can easily be obtain on the Internet (try dog sites sites is also for leads).  The webbing on the Domke is no sewn to the "pad", so can easily be replaced...and made any length.

I like the 1.5" version, which I think only comes with the swivel clip.  The swivel clip is up by pad.  Since you are "rewebbing", if you don't trust the swivel you can easily remove it. 

I personally like the swivel clip, but want it close to the camera, not the pad, so that, on a tripod, when unclipped there are no straps dangling.  To attach to the camera, I use the Op/Tech Utility Loop connector http://optechusa.com/system-connectors/utility-loop.html.

John
John

SunnyUK

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:19 am »

I've been using an R-strap for years on my D700. Always felt comfortable, but it was a bit of a pain that it occupied the tripod screw hole, making it more cumbersome to switch between hand-held and tripod-held.

For my D800 I got an OpTech bandolier-style strap which comes with two of the utility connectors John mentions. I've got them attached to my L-plate, so that I can now put the camera on a tripod with the strap still attached. I like that from a safety-perspective, and am happy with the solution.

jrsforums

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 09:04:30 am »

I've been using an R-strap for years on my D700. Always felt comfortable, but it was a bit of a pain that it occupied the tripod screw hole, making it more cumbersome to switch between hand-held and tripod-held.

For my D800 I got an OpTech bandolier-style strap which comes with two of the utility connectors John mentions. I've got them attached to my L-plate, so that I can now put the camera on a tripod with the strap still attached. I like that from a safety-perspective, and am happy with the solution.

I had not wanted to muddy up the earlier post with too much info, but I also attach via the L-plate.  Also helps when shooting in portrait mode to get strap out of the way.

John
John

NancyP

Re: Camera Straps - Cotton Carrier, plus an Optech standard neoprene strap
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »

Cotton Carrier vest is great for hiking, as it stows your camera so that your hands are free and camera doesn't swing. Optech neoprene neck strap is less itchy to me than the original Canon strap.

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 07:13:53 pm »

Depending on what you are doing, the camera strap SYSTEM from Vulture Camera works could be very good for you, I have a presentation of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFic4hGZtFk one of my favorite features, aside from its modularity is that it also has that foot / monopod which could also be excellent depending on what kind of work you do.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »

I've been very happy with a Luma Loop from Luma Labs which I've had for a couple of years. Unfortunately Black Rapid has killed their product with a patent application years after Luma loop was out. Doh!
http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/15/luma-loop-camera-strap-killed-off-after-patent-awarded-to-black-rapid/

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 04:09:20 pm »

I tried an Upstrap and went right back to the OpTech. Perhaps they have changed the material since I had one. Mine was stiff as a board and therefore uncomfortable.
Are others experiencing this problem with the upstrap?

dwswager

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 08:44:48 pm »

yeah, I would be buying a black rapid.. NOT................................

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3338762

I am looking for a long strap that attaches to the strap loops so I can still use it across my chest.

This DPReview post says nothing about a Black Rapid strap.  Based on the description, either the camera D800 has a weak tripod attachment or the user is incompetent.  Even considering that the tripod socket was not intended to be used as a hanging attachment point, just hanging a camera w/lens off it would not bend the camera.  Just wouldn't generate enough force.

If you look around, Black Rapid straps are almost universally loved.

Since my cameras always have a RRS L-Plate attached any "tripod mounted" strap will be screwed into the Tripod hole on the L-Plate or to a Arca-Swiss Type clamp.  Here is a good way to do it using the Black Rapid Strap and Arca Clamp.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=8861

stever

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 11:18:17 pm »

I used Upstraps for some time, but have been using the Blackrapid strap (and Blackrapid hardware on old straps) for the last 3 years.  The Blackrapid is a much more comfortable carry and the speed of getting the camera in shooting position is much better.  I would not consider going back to any kind of conventional lug-attached strap.

However, I periodically check that the camera attachment is screwed in tight and have replaced one of the Blackrapid swivels which showed some wear (after quite some use with a 5d3 and 100-400)

dwswager

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 05:40:16 pm »

Hello folks,

Being a newbie here, I do have a noob question....

If you are in the market for a camera strap to use with a D800/D800E, which one would you go in for and why?

I have looked at straps from Black Rapid and UPStrap. I've also read some reviews on Amazon where some folks have complained about the Black Rapid fasteners being defective, thereby damaging the equipment. I don't know how much to trust those reviews. Having said that, which one between the two would you choose and why?

I'd greatly appreciate any insights you have to share with the community here.

Cheers!

Tried dozens of straps over the the decades and have settled on 2.  Domke Gripper straps and the Black Rapid Sport.

The Domke is for over the shoulder (like a woman wears a purse). It is more like a carrying strap and  I only put it over my neck when I'm leaning over a railing, bridge, cliff.  The rubber woven into the canvas strap keeps it on your shoulder pretty well.  It is a quick release strap, but you have to fix it for it to work.  Take the commercial strap and reverse the quick release part so they are permanently attached to the strap body and unclip at the camera lugs.  Can someone riddle me why you would want 6-8 inches of crap hanging from the camera lugs when you 'quick release' a strap.  Any strap designed that way is a monster fail! 

The black rapid sport is what I used when I'm actually shooting with purpose handheld.  Since I have a RRS Arca Swiss L-Plate on my camras and RRS lens plates on tripod footed lenses, I screwed the FastenR into a small Arca Swiss Clamp and that is how I attach ti to camera or lens.  If I carried 2 cameras or 2 lenses with tripod feet at one time, I might try the black rapid Yeti.

BJL

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 09:29:23 pm »

i am very happy with an OpTech duo of:
- shoulder strap so the camera hangs near my right hand, out of the way of other gear, and
- a wrist strap, when carrying just the camera in hand with a small lens.

The camera attatchment goes in the right-hand strap lug, with a quick release alllowing quick swaps between the two options, and the shoulder strap allows a second direct connection to a heavy lens, to stop it from drooping down too much (but I do not use that.)

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 09:37:58 am »

I go against the grain, and i personally, never, ever liked the black rapid style of strap.  However, camera straps, saying "which is best" is a lot like saying "which flavour of ice cream is best."  Individual tastes and needs really do vary.

For me, my D700 and D800 and anything else, I love the Crumpler "Disgrace" straps best myself.  For me, my needs, my style, they work best. Worth a look to see ifyou might like them

good luck

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2014, 11:19:00 am »

However, camera straps, saying "which is best" is a lot like saying "which flavour of ice cream is best."  Individual tastes and needs really do vary.
Come on, now... everyone knows that mint chocolate cookie-dough is the absolute best.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »

The Domke is for over the shoulder (like a woman wears a purse). It is more like a carrying strap and  I only put it over my neck when I'm leaning over a railing, bridge, cliff.  The rubber woven into the canvas strap keeps it on your shoulder pretty well.  It is a quick release strap, but you have to fix it for it to work.  Take the commercial strap and reverse the quick release part so they are permanently attached to the strap body and unclip at the camera lugs.  Can someone riddle me why you would want 6-8 inches of crap hanging from the camera lugs when you 'quick release' a strap.  Any strap designed that way is a monster fail! 

Hey Dwswager,

I've been looking for a good quick release strap for ages.  Could you upload a couple of pictures of how you've 'FIXED' the domke?

Many thanks.
Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

dwswager

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2014, 08:39:23 pm »

Hey Dwswager,

I've been looking for a good quick release strap for ages.  Could you upload a couple of pictures of how you've 'FIXED' the domke?

Many thanks.
Andrew

Looking at the photo attached, I've laid out the strap where the part on the bottom is how it comes from the manufacturer with the black clip attached to the strap and you are supposed to put wind the little silver ring onto the camera lug.  On the top is how I use it.  I wind the little silver ring around the main part of the strap and clip the black clip to the camera lug.  This strap is 3 years old or so and was on a Nikon D300 and now I use it on a Nikon D7100.  If you use like Domke thinks, you have 9 inches of crap attached to the camera when you quick release it from the strap.  Used my way, you have nothing hanging off the camera when you want to pop it on a tripod, monopod or any other option.

Personally, I'd fire the product manager for having a good design...having the answer...and being too stupid to know it.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 12:36:08 am »

Personally, I'd fire the product manager for having a good design...having the answer...and being too stupid to know it.

Quality.  Thanks.  A couple of these are going on an order very soon - though I wonder if I can find the black clips somewhere else..

Cheers
Andrew

dwswager

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:09 am »

Quality.  Thanks.  A couple of these are going on an order very soon - though I wonder if I can find the black clips somewhere else..

Cheers
Andrew

What type of camera are you putting it on?  My DSLR Nikons (D300, D7100, D810) have had lugs that made the fatter black clips on the Domke possible.  Seems my N90s had just metal slats for a strap to go through and I'm not sure this clip would work.  Check you lugs 1st.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 04:46:10 pm »

Thanks for the heads up!

A variety of Pentax and Canon DSLRS.
I think the Canon will struggle, but the newer pentaxs' will be fine as they are similiar to the D810 shown here.

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »

Last year i used OP|Tech strap with L-plated Sony a900 and some MF gear.
Very comfortable (they claim weight reduction by factor of two - too optimistic of course) and with 5-buck parts easily converted regular strap to a sliding similar to Black Rapid - and without touching tripod screw. And you can wear camera under backpack straps and quickly buckle on and off your camera.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up