Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunki and Canon Print Plugin  (Read 2705 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Colormunki and Canon Print Plugin
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:48:47 am »

So I purchased a ColorMunki Photo and did the whole calibration setup with monitor and printer.  I switched out on my photoshop cs6 color management options to have the workspace use the monitor profile it created for me.  I'm assuming this allows me to see the images how they will print.  I then export the file to my Canon print plugin and when I try to print I get the error message I attached to the topic.  Does this mean that no matter how I see it in photoshop, the plugin will print using windows icc profile instead ?  I'm lost

kingscurate

Re: Colormunki and Canon Print Plugin
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:19:46 am »

Using windows, using a canon pro9000mk2, although i have never created my own print profile I have downloaded some. I install them to the windows default location, they then appear in CS 5 print settings etc. If there is a plugin print utility i have never used it.
I aint a pro

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:51:17 am »

I switched out on my photoshop cs6 color management options to have the workspace use the monitor profile it created for me.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Photoshop will automatically use your monitor profile for on-screen display, there's nothing to configure here as long asthe monitor ICC is registered with Windows as the default (which it automatically is when you run the calibration). I suspect what you may have done is change the RGB Working Space to your monitor display, and unless you really know what you're doing, you should not do that. Leave it at ProPhoto RGB.

I then export the file to my Canon print plugin and when I try to print I get the error message I attached to the topic.  Does this mean that no matter how I see it in photoshop, the plugin will print using windows icc profile instead ?  I'm lost
I don't recall seeing that message before, even though I use i1Profiler to generate v4 ICC's. But I think you should be able to safely ignore it if you're on a recent version of Windows (Vista or newer) as the OS should have no problem with v4 profiles.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:27 am »

There's an option to choose color management module that will convert the image to printer profile:

Adobe CMM apparently doesn't support ICC v4 profiles (it only works in 32 bit mode), so the plug-ing automatically switches to OS CMM, but the effect should be virtually the same - so there's no need to worry.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:41:55 am »

Jeff, you are correct.  I changed the RGB working space.  When I have the working space set to my custom profile I made for my monitor my reds come out a lot darker on screen.  If I switch to ProPhoto RGB the red turns into a very vibrant bright red.  Which one of these will print to my printer?  If I leave it on ProPhoto I'm afraid the printer will print out a lot darker than what I see on screen. 

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:12:24 pm »

You should not be setting the monitor profile as a a photoshop default. As mentioned earlier, the monitor profile (measure of transmissive light) is automatically adopted by the operating system.  A monitor profile should never be used for printing. A printer profile (measure of reflective light) includes information about the printer, ink coverage and paper type, a monitor profile does not.

I profile both my monitor and specific papers used with the iPF5100 printer. My workflow utilizes ProPhoto RGB from Camera Raw to the moment I export to the Canon Print plug-in for Photoshop CS6. At that point I convert my image to the paper profile I created and turn off color management in the plug-in (which does not accept V4 profiles on the Mac OS). This workflow continues to produce prints with accurate color reproduction that match what I see on my monitor.
Gerald J Skrocki

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:38 pm »

Jerry, when you say you convert the image to the paper profile you created is this what you're talking about?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:27:12 pm »

Yes that is the profile created for the specific paper type and printer. This can either be supplied by the paper manufacturer or created with a device like the DataColor SpyderPrint product, the Xrite Colormunki Photo or the more expensive Xrite i1Photo Pro 2.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up