Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OMDEM5/GH3 commentary  (Read 2786 times)

John Camp

OMDEM5/GH3 commentary
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:32:34 pm »

Might I solicit a comment from Michael (or anyone else who has actual experience with the Panasonic GH3 and the OM-D) as to the comparative quality of their still photos, or anything else that would make one of those bodies preferred over the other? I have an extensive collection of glass, mostly Panasonic, which I assume will work fine with the OM-D. I was planning to buy the GH3 but it sounds as though it has been optimized for video, rather than stills. Is that true? Is there a difference in the quality of the sensor output in the GH3 and the G5? I has the impression that the G5 uses the older sensor as in the GH2.

michael

Re: OMDEM5/GH3 commentary
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:27 pm »

These days it seems to me that the differences between comparable models (say – released with the same year) is less about overall IQ than it is about other characteristics.

The appeal of the OM-D for me is the small size and light weight. The GH3 is a larger camera, somewhat overshadowing the inherent advantage of MFT, which is smaller and lighter lenses.

But, I would suggest that handling each at a store yourself would be preferable to listening to one man's opinion.

Michael

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:59 pm »

Interesting, and thanks to both Michael and John. I'm in the same position, shooting with a GH2 and wondering about these two newer cameras. Looking at raw files downloaded from dpreview, the OMD has a clear IQ advantage over the GH2, though of course that's only at nosebleed ISO values and might not show up in prints.

My issue is finding a camera store within 750 miles that stocks either of them, let alone both.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:28:57 pm »

Looking at raw files downloaded from dpreview
and you certainly checked the raw files using rawdigger to verify that dpreview was able (which they do not) to do a simple task of equally saturating the sensors ? otherwise what you were looking at ?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:57:55 pm »

... saturating the sensors...

English, please.

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:23:13 pm »

I have both and a gaggle of lenses. I generally prefer the GH3 for ergonomics, the size fits me better and the buttons are easier to press. I prefer the focus set up of the GH3, better back button setup and smaller focus rectangle plus pin point focus (really precise). I prefer the IBIS of the EM-5, it works really well. Since I have both Panasonic and Oly lenses, I tend to use the Panasonic with its lenses which for the most part are stabilized and the Oly lenses with the EM-5 - I am keeping both.

I like the highlight overlay for exposure of the EM-5. It overlays orange in high clipped areas and blue in underexposed. It makes getting good exposure a snap. Trouble is that it is not always available: if you use reduced focus rectangle it is not available. This really steams me as I want both. If not for this I might prefer the EM-5 a little more. Panasonic has hinted that this feature might be available in an update.

The articulated LCD of the Panasonic is superior and more useful.

The wi-fi feature of the Panasonic has been useful to me already in the short time I've had it. I shot a church charity event of about 40 families using the wi-fi to send jpgs to Lightroom as I shot them. The families then selected the ones they wanted which were stared. I used the family name as a keyword which was added to the jpg in LR as I shot. I then uploaded the raws from the card (shot raw + jpg) to my main computer along with the jpgs from the the LR portable and using John Beardsworth's Syncomatic, synched the raw files metadata to the jpgs. It worked slickly. I had to buy a portable wi-fi hot spot to send the files to the portable. I don't know if it is possible without that, but I could not figure out a way. If you just want to remotely control the camera with an Iphone or Ipad, the wi-fi hot spot is not required. It works well with lots of features and always having the Iphone on me means I always have a wireless remote one me.

The battery life is better in the Panasonic. I use the EM-5 with the battery grip, without it it is too small. The GH3 is just right without a grip and may be too big with one. I have the grip on order so I'll see.

I have never used the video on either camera so it is a non issue for me. Thinking that the GH3 is a video camera only is wrong, it is eminently useable as a stills only camera.

I have not compared image quality head to head. They both satisfy my requirements. About the same, I'd say.

Bracketing is much better with the GH3 as is using the self timer. I find that changing commonly used parameters more intuitive and easier with the GH3. You can set up to five custom configurations on the GH3,  quickly accessible on the mode dial. You have to menu dive the EM-5 for the same so it is not nearly so useful.

Custom button configuration. On the EM-5 I really had to struggle to get it set up so that I was comfortable using the camera. I had to 'waste' a couple of buttons to get over the focusing limitations of the EM-5. The GH3 is basically set up out of the box and works well. The only mods I made on the GH3 were to the soft touch buttons on the LCD to change aspect ratio and show the histogram. The touch screen on both is really nice, I find myself using it more and more. It is a feature like Live View which when it came out was poo pooed but now is a mainstream must have feature.

The leveling horizon on the GH3 is nice: accessible when you want it. I have not figured it out yet for the EM-5.

Summing up: I get better focus with the GH3. Better exposures with the EM-5. By better I mean easier to achieve. If I could have only one it would be a real tough choice, with a slight nod the the GH3.

Larry

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »

Since I have both Panasonic and Oly lenses, I tend to use the Panasonic with its lenses which for the most part are stabilized and the Oly lenses with the EM-5 - I am keeping both.

Larry, this is great, thanks for taking the time to write. I was actually thinking that I would keep the GH2 for use with the stabilized lenses, and get the OMD for use with the 45 and 75 and old lenses via adapter.

Vladmirovich, I don't have that level of technical expertise in my daily work, so I'm not sure it's going to help me with this choice. I just push the little doohickey. :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

John Camp

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:56:03 am »

Thanks Michael and Larry for the comments.

I'm in exactly the same situation as K Bennett, shooting the GH2 (for stills, not video) and looking at the fork in the road -- a choice between the GH3 and the OM-D. It's further complicated by the presence of the G5, a new camera that is smaller even than the GH2. The G5 has the same Venus processing engine as the GH3, but a different sensor, apparently. I wonder how much difference that makes? It's still rated to 12800, but the camera is about half the cost of the GH3. I wonder how much of that extra cost goes to video capabilities, in which I'm not interested?

I'm also somewhat plagued by reports of the GH3's size -- I value small size, but the GH2 is fine with me. (Besides, when I really want to go small I have two GX1s.) I have not actually found a GH3 to handle, but according to the specs published by DPR, the GH3 is only about .36 of an inch wider,.12 of an inch higher, and .24 of an inch deeper...or a little more than 1/3 of an inch by 1/8 of an inch by 1/4 of an inch. That doesn't seem like very much to me, but as I say, I haven't actually seen one yet. 

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:09:29 am »

English, please.
open 2 raw files in rawdigger and compare raw histоgramms
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:11:15 am by Vladimirovich »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 11:10:36 am »

TThe G5 has the same Venus processing engine as the GH3, but a different sensor, apparently.
G5 has GH2 sensor with blocked true multi-aspect feature

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:38 am »

Vladmirovich, I don't have that level of technical expertise in my daily work, so I'm not sure it's going to help me with this choice. I just push the little doohickey. :)
if you can use a raw converter then you can surely check the raw data in rawdigger (www.rawdigger.com)...
Pages: [1]   Go Up