• My work.
Ice
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:31:14 pm »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:56:41 am »

The first is spoiled by the band of featureless snow. I like the second, with its little splash of gold.

Jeremy

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:01:40 am »

The first is spoiled by the band of featureless snow. I like the second, with its little splash of gold.

I agree with Jeremy.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:25:28 am »

I agree - snow/ice is not featureless white like a sheet of paper, it has texture. Both images, particularly the first one, are spoiled by areas of blank white. If you are using Lightroom, try the highlight recovery tool.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:32:33 am »

I agree - snow/ice is not featureless white like a sheet of paper, it has texture. Both images, particularly the first one, are spoiled by areas of blank white. If you are using Lightroom, try the highlight recovery tool.

On my monitor I see detail in the white areas that you note.

Peter

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:16 am »

Thanks for the comments. I tried to keep the detail in the snow there, but not dominant, as the water and ice is the most interesting part of the photo to me with the white acting as a separator. I may come back to this and adjust for more detail, however the prints I've made do show detail.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:56 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I tried to keep the detail in the snow there, but not dominant, as the water and ice is the most interesting part of the photo to me with the white acting as a separator. I may come back to this and adjust for more detail, however the prints I've made do show detail.

You've seen the prints, of course, and I've not, but I think that even with some detail in the snow, #1 wouldn't work: the band of white is just too dominant. #2, of course, would be even better.

Jeremy

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:24 am »

This is very true Jeremy. I should say that the print isn't intended for sale, but rather for me to learn from. I have access to a 60" printer and am able to make prints every now and then. I use it mostly to put into practice what I've learned from this site and other readings. I am slowly building a personal portfolio though.

I think that this area is worth (another) re-shoot, as the more I look at these two photos, the more I think they are "merely pretty". At best.

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:39 am »

The splash of gold in the first one I will "buy" as light, but not in the second one. It looks like some radioactive urine in the water or something. It looks like shabby selective coloring in the second one.

I quite like the first one, with the contrast of the golden light with the blue toned lower half. It's a pleasingly attractive semi-abstract and, to a degree, it feels cold. It happens that this is the second set of ice photography I have looked at today, and the other photo (in some other forum) didn't manage to capture "cold" nearly as well as this one does. So, well done!

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30:17 am »

The first is spoiled by the band of featureless snow.
I don't agree : for me, the almost-slick white makes for a very interesting contrast and balance of textures, and that is what makes the image work for me.

The second lacks a bit of something to my taste, maybe some color in the snow, or maybe it should concentrate more on the water textures.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up