Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keywording philosophy  (Read 2370 times)

Tony Jay

keywording philosophy
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:39 am »

I have posted this on the lightroom forum because I use it for my DAM.

I have an extensive, and growing, keyword hierarchy - some 24 000 odd terms.
Most of my interest is in outdoor photography hence the question I am now posing.

Does anybody keyword for the sky ie actually use sky as a keyword?
If so, how does one categorize sky as a keyword?

I will wait to hear.

Tony Jay

Tom Montgomery

Re: keywording philosophy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »

IMO, 'sky' is not a very useful keyword by itself. I do have [attributes->blueSky] that I use for images that show a dramatically blue sky that I might want to search for. However, I have many keywords pertaining to clouds and cloud types and formations. I find that much more useful than trying to classify "sky".

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:06:33 am »

I can see using "dark, clear, clouds, stormy," and I do use "sky" in general.

I catagorize it for my skyscapes, as I have two personal projects in the subject.

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:29 am »

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen.

I certainly have several descriptions of skies that can be used.
I have a very detailed description of weather and weather phenomena in my keyword hierarchy.
I also have colours.
I also have an attributes and characteristics hierarchy that can be used to describe anything, including skies.

My difficulty is whether 'sky' itself is a useful keyword in itself. (Mixed thoughts on this forum so far - see above.)
If one thinks of how one would classify 'dog' this is easy: dog is a canine, canine is a placental, placental is a mammal, mammal is an animal.
Can one classify 'sky' in any useful way or is this something that truly stands alone?

Tony Jay

leuallen

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:35:17 am »

Tony, if you sometimes take pictures of skies for sky replacements then sky is a useful keyword to find the skies when needed. When out and about I often take a couple of snaps of the sky composed for intended replacement if the sky is particularly interesting.

Larry

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »

I confess that I don't really do composites as I prefer sky and foreground to reflect things (pun intended) as they were.
No criticism of those who do composites though.

My issue does not really revolve around WHAT to keyword, but HOW to classify the sky as part of my keyword hierarchy.
It may not actually fit anywhere in a classification, and so far no research I have done has brought me any closer to deciding.
This is not a make or break issue for me by any means but an interesting challenge (and normally one that I would and could solve easily by myself) that at this point I have been unable to find a solution for.

Tony Jay

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:22:25 am »

I do not use the word "sky" as a keyword.  I had not thought about it before your post here, but I do not think of the sky as being important in my images...I think the importance lies in what is happening in the sky.  Is there a sunset, are there clouds, storms etc.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:44:36 pm by Bryan Conner »

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 04:25:54 am »

Bryan I am beginning to share your view.
Until recently I too had never thought to directly use the word sky as a keyword.
I have plenty of keywords that can describe the sky though.

I will keep the thread open for a little while longer to see if anyone shares something on the level of an epiphany.
If not I will lock it.

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up