Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gretag Macbeth i1  (Read 2172 times)

petercorb

Gretag Macbeth i1
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:11:15 am »

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and found that my Eye One i1 (uv cut) did not function. It turns out that the old version software 3.1 (Gretag) does not work with Lion. After some research and a downloaded a completely new version 1.1

I can now use my device for Monitor Profile but no longer for Printer Profiles. Not amused I spoke to - now X-Rite - support and was told that for $535 I can obtain the software for my device to use for Printer Profiling.

I do not use a vast range of papers (mainly because I live in South Africa and sourcing media here is very limited) but have always built my own profiles. I have recently started using Epson Cold & Hot Press and I am using Epson "canned" profiles. I would like some opinions/advice or experience with a similar issue.

Do I spend the $535, is it worth the expense?

Would I get better profiles from the new software, with the old device than canned profiles?

X-Rite claim the new software is far superior - even with the old device - and considerable time and effort on their part justifies the extra cost.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Gretag Macbeth i1
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:49:30 am »

Check ArgyllCMS; shareware, compatible and very capable. It will be less user friendly but based on the same standard method that should not be a big problem.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:40 am »

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and found that my Eye One i1 (uv cut) did not function.

Do you have a backup of your computer running under the previous OS? If so, you could boot up from the backup when ever you want to make printer profiles.

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:57:11 am »

The new software really is that much better and these are the things we must do to maintain compatibility every decade or so... Naturally you can keep an old OS around just to continue using the old software but I think it would be smart to move forward.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

petercorb

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:56:52 pm »

I dont have a problem with paying as time and technology progress I would like to evaluate the worth before committing so I am looking for first hand experiences. The cost of a new setup is considerably more but I dont want to compromise with a cheaper option then find out the old hardware has no legs for the foreseeable future. I run a small Fine Art Print business and my stance is that I offer a master service and to do that I need the best technology and knowledge.

Check ArgyllCMS; shareware, compatible and very capable. It will be less user friendly but based on the same standard method that should not be a big problem.

I am not sure what this is apart from some RGB profile curves??

It is not an option to boot from another drive with the old software.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:05:42 pm »

I dont want to compromise with a cheaper option then find out the old hardware has no legs for the foreseeable future.

That is a risk. Your existing device will function fantastically well until it dies. Weigh your options with selling your i1Pro and getting a new one as one of them.

For a picky printmaker, i1Profiler (and Monaco Profiler before it) really is a whole lot better. I put EyeOneMatch/ProfileMakerPro behind me almost a decade ago due to their inferior print profiles. There were other things that I liked, but MP and i1P really have it where it counts as far as print profiles go.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

petercorb

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »

I thought i1 Match was just the software and the Colorimeter is the same?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »

I thought i1 Match was just the software and the Colorimeter is the same?

EyeOneMatch is just software. i1Profiler is the name of the new software. There are lots of colorimeters and spectros with similar sounding names. The EyeOneDisplay variations are colorimeters while the EyeOnePro variations are the spectros. The hardware/software packages that they sell make these lines even more confusing don't they?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »

EyeOne Match drove both EyeOne colorimeters and spectros.  It was essentially the entry level spectro software package.  I was in exactly the same situation as Peter a year ago.  I made the upgrade to the i1Profiler.  It's a considerable step up from "Match" and well worth it.  You get a much greater level of control at most every stage of the profile creation process.  I'm using it with one of the original EyeOne Photo spectros that I bought new in '03.  I use it for monitor calibration and printer profiling for a number of different Epsons on a fairly wide variety of media.  Works well.

Bob Smith
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:52:41 pm by Bob Smith »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 02:40:24 pm »

Would I get better profiles from the new software, with the old device than canned profiles?

Yes. But I can't say it's worth the $500+ to you. The new color engine is much better but thanks to X-rite's idea of software design, there are aspects of the new product that will make you want to knock your head against a wall. I'd say overall, three steps forwards from the older software, a step, step and a half back. Short of booting an older system, (something I still have to do thanks to functionality in the older PMP software that i1P doesn't have), you probably need to upgrade the software.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:58:48 pm »

I am not sure what this is apart from some RGB profile curves??  "referring to ArgyllCMS"

ArgyllCMS is a full set of software tools for profiling almost anything.  Profiles are extremely good and once you get over the learning curve, easy to implement.  I've been using Argyll with an i1 Pro spectro for two years now and the profiles that I get are better in every case than those supplied by the manufacturer.  The software is free and there is an active user group that will answer all your questions.

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 03:21:25 pm »

I don't recall paying $500 plus for it... though I know I thought it was steep.  Maybe there was some better pricing on upgrades initially.  I think I purchased through Amazon.  It does have some serious design quirks.  But so did Match.  Not quite the way I would have done it.  But it works and the resulting profiles have served me well.  And I very much appreciate the ability to easily custom design targets.  Something you couldn't really do in Match

Hey, Andrew, I still occasionally boot an old G4 into system 9 to run an Imacon you sold me in '97 (works very reliably on what it was designed for!).  I'm very familiar with going "old school" as needed.  I just don't think its warranted here.

Bob Smith

petercorb

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:34 pm »

Yes it is $535 as quoted on the telephone from the USA - they even asked for the serial number of my device. However even if I wanted to buy it they would not sell it and directed me to the Swiss outfit in Europe.  They (the Swiss)  could not advise me and said I must contact the agent in South Africa, which I did 7 weeks ago, I  am still waiting for a price - I guess that's Africa eh!

Anyhow the consensus here, seems to be that my device is Ok and that its the software. I am interested in this ArgyllCMS shareware before I spend $500 + but would still like to pose the following question:

Printers, inks and media have come a long way in terms of consistency; are canned profiles as good as bespoke given the equipment in question? Of course its a subjective question and answer because there is no absolute profile, or is it just a matter of the artist and interpretation?

Can I get better prints today building my own profiles?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 04:01:52 pm »

Can I get better prints today building my own profiles?

It depends on too many factors to say yes or no. In most cases yes and indeed, many canned profiles are pretty good.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

petercorb

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 04:08:19 pm »

Hey Andrew thats a great answer :D - takes me for a walk around the block and back where I started.

I guess it boils down to; do I want to interpret and put my own stamp on profiles and therefore prints, or stick with the mainstream, I mean the people who make the printers, inks paper and drivers and take their opinion as the best there is - nothing wrong with that either.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:41 pm »

For what's it worth, and I'm no expert like some of the people here, but I use the Epson profiles with my 4900 and and Cold Press Natural (mostly) and very pleased with the results. I have clients say they've never seen prints as nice as these.  So.. works for me.  If I tried to make my own profiles would I find them 'better'?  Possibly, but why don't you try the canned profiles and see how you like them?  Compare them to a print you made before the need to upgrade and see what you think.  Then you'll know for sure if you have to spend the $500+ or not.
Mike Guilbault

petercorb

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 03:33:34 am »

It seems pretty obvious thats what I should do Mike, however I do not have access to the legacy i1 Match software (it will only run on Rosetta) and I did not produce profiles of the Epson media when I did. I have used the Epson canned profiles and Image Print profiles and the results are very good indeed.

As I said I have always built my own profiles especially when I try new media, i just like to know that I can get the best (for me) and there is not a compromise using canned profiles. I intend to investigate this ArgyllCMS shareware see what I get before I decide which way I go.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

I run virtual machines on my computer.  I'm a PC guy and I prefer vmware, but there are free virtual machine packages for PC as well.  I'd bet there are some free ones also for Mac.

The idea is that the virtual machine software sets up a "fake computer" within your computer.  You let it create a large file, and it lies to everything running inside it that it's really it's own hard drive.  The software running inside doesn't know the difference, and thinks it has complete control over it's own machine.  The virtual machine starts out as a blank hard drive, so you install your O/S, and all the software and files on it.  If you've ever remote connected to a computer, it's basically just like that - except it's actually running on your machine.  Requires enough technical experience to be able to install an O/S, etc, but that's really about it.

Not saying to not upgrade!  Just saying this is an option.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761
Pages: [1]   Go Up