Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quiet Morning  (Read 2672 times)

marvpelkey

Quiet Morning
« on: January 02, 2013, 09:19:28 pm »

Arrived to this location very early and found real thick fog. As the fog moved, I was teased by the, barely visible, boat but was unable to grab a shot due to hardly being able to see it. I figured eventually the sun would burn the fog enough to make the view and committed myself to standing at the end of the pier and waiting by my set up camera and tripod. Two hours later, my feet and fingers were frozen, and it finally appeared. Within five minutes the light was too harsh to continue. I just about couldn't press the remote due to no feelings in my hands (the story may be more interesting than the photo but both had to be presented  ;D).

Marv

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Quiet Morning
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:13:20 pm »

To the rescue:  ;)

P.S. Wonderful photograph!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:13 am »

>Arrived to this location very early and found real thick fog….

It was worth the effort. You have made an exceptional and gorgeous capture!

All i will add to that is my hopes that you keep up the great work and to buy some good cold temp clothing. REI, as example, is a great source for that kind of thing...

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:41:21 am »

(the story may be more interesting than the photo but both had to be presented  ;D).

The photo looks worth every minute of the pain. Then again, they were your hands and not mine  ;)

Jeremy

mac_paolo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:31 am »

I really like it a lot.
I wish you a very big print: it deserves it! :)

francois

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:51:42 am »

Really wonderful image…

Next time, take thick gloves, hands and feet warmers
Francois

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:11 am »

I love the phot but I really like those gloves.  ;D
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

marvpelkey

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:09:50 pm »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I will have to look into getting some decent gloves (perhaps with those removable fingers as Slobodan suggested). I did have some good boots, however, after two hours of standing in a small space on a dock above cold sea water, they weren't as effective as I had hoped.

I am considering printing it large but am debating whether it should be matte, glossy or...the 16 bit TIFF on full size screen has an almost watercolour aspect to it so maybe matte.

Marv

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:31 am »

Matte, IMHO.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:29:12 am »

Arrived to this location very early and found real thick fog. As the fog moved, I was teased by the, barely visible, boat but was unable to grab a shot due to hardly being able to see it. I figured eventually the sun would burn the fog enough to make the view and committed myself to standing at the end of the pier and waiting by my set up camera and tripod. Two hours later, my feet and fingers were frozen, and it finally appeared. Within five minutes the light was too harsh to continue. I just about couldn't press the remote due to no feelings in my hands (the story may be more interesting than the photo but both had to be presented  ;D).

Marv

Marv,

I am a bit late to the party to comment; but I love this image. Fog is whimsical and difficult to capture and process well but you have done a sterling job of it. Your photo leaves me wanting more as I peer into the fog. Wonderful feeling with just the right amount of warmth which required a very subtle touch. I like it very much. More please.  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

marvpelkey

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:38 pm »

Josh,

Thanks for your kind comments. Give me a choice of blue skies and hot weather or cold and foggy and I'll take the latter every time.

Marv
Pages: [1]   Go Up