Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miami and Mangroves  (Read 1331 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Miami and Mangroves
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:16 pm »

Hey all. Here is a somewhat dated photo, but one that I have not shown here yet.  Bear Cut is one of my favorite places to photograph in South Florida. It's one of the most wild, pristine places in the immediate proximity of Miami. There's a surprisingly wide variety of natural beauty: dense mangrove forests, tidal flats, fossilized reefs, natural coastline, and more. And it's right at the tip of Key Biscayne, so it's one of those rare places where you can see both sunset and sunrise. But perhaps the best thing about it is the great view of the downtown Miami skyline. From here, the modern sky-scrapers glimmer in both the morning and evening light, and stand in beautiful contrast to the natural landscape of the park. The mangroves provide the perfect frame to remind you that Miami is replete with wilderness just a stone's throw away.

Miami and Mangroves
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Tony Jay

Re: Miami and Mangroves
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:43:44 pm »

I like this Matt.
Beautiful light.
Lovely portrait of Miami using the mangroves as a foreground frame and context.
It is indeed a reminder about Miami's environs.

Reminds me a little of Brisbane in Australia except the city centre is grouped around the Brisbane river rather than along the coast to the east.
Nonetheless lots of mangroves along the river and the opportunity to shoot for a comparable result.

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:36:15 am »

It's a beautiful image. I like the light but the juxtaposition of nature and man-made landscape is what makes the shot for me.
Francois

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:41:04 pm »

+1 to all the other comments...a very fine capture.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Hyper_Vistas

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:42 pm »

Yes I can see Brisbane River in this pic, good call.

I love the low light hitting the skyline, really brings the image to life.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:14 am »

Beautifully captured - right moment, right spot, ideal composition and well-processed. The photo almost makes me believe that our modern world can co-exist with nature, but I then I quickly come out of it and back to reality!

One niggly - the "stuff" in the water in the bottom right just above your signature. It may be entirely natural and you may be of the "change nothing" ilk and I respect that, but I'm not sure that it adds to the artistic beauty of the image. In fact, I think it detracts from it as my eye keeps wandering down to it. Great image, though. I'll be sure to check out Bear Cut when I am next in the area.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:03:56 pm »

Thanks for the comments, all!

Terry, that's a good point, I'll look into cloning it out.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up