Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 4  (Read 242852 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Lightroom experience
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »

Well, I hated using Lightroom.  The whole experience just feels really clunky to me.  The interface is messy and speed slow.  If Apple fixes the GX7 processing issue alone, I'll stick with it.  Photography is just my hobby, I don't have patience for bad user experience.

In a different direction, have you tried the Capture One Pro demo? Its still not as polished as Aperture, but has more adjustment features, including lens correction and better noise reduction. And it "feels" better to me than Lightroom. But it is a more "professional" solution and may not as quickly support the cameras and lenses used by "the rest of us." I doesn't appear to support my micro four thirds lenses, for example (although I'd be happy to be corrected on that).

Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

trichardlin

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2014, 03:32:42 pm »

In a different direction, have you tried the Capture One Pro demo?...

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob.  No I haven't looked at Capture One.  I might, during one of those sleepless nights.

By the way, I have been storing all my photos in a couple of managed Aperture libraries.  This recent issue with GX7 had led me to re-think my photo management/storage strategy.  My current thinking is to move the photos out of Aperture libraries and store them in a referenced folder so that I can use both Aperture and Lightroom to access them.  Any comments on that?

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »

By the way, I have been storing all my photos in a couple of managed Aperture libraries.  This recent issue with GX7 had led me to re-think my photo management/storage strategy.  My current thinking is to move the photos out of Aperture libraries and store them in a referenced folder so that I can use both Aperture and Lightroom to access them.  Any comments on that?

There's no problem I'm aware of in having some photos managed and others referenced. If/when Aperture get's its GX7 raw decoding fixed to your liking, you can always move them back into managed.

Just remember, if files are referenced, Aperture won't back them up in a vault, if you're using vaults.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

trichardlin

Re: Aperture 4
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:25 am »

Great.  That's what I thought.  I'm backing up with Time Machine, BTW.

Jim Funston

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:33 pm »

Am I the only one who had to stop using the auto enhance button in my workflow since Maverick roll out? For my RAW's auto enhance used to get me really close to what I liked but now it totally over expose's all my RAW files regardless of the Sony camera I am using. Anyone else experience this? I even did a total reset of this function and still it overexposes by 2-3 stops.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 01:41:45 pm »

Am I the only one who had to stop using the auto enhance button in my workflow since Maverick roll out? For my RAW's auto enhance used to get me really close to what I liked but now it totally over expose's all my RAW files regardless of the Sony camera I am using. Anyone else experience this? I even did a total reset of this function and still it overexposes by 2-3 stops.

I didn’t want to see this just hanging without any answer, though I can’t offer any help. I’ve never liked the results I got from auto enhance, so I’ve almost never used them.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

ario

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 10:07:56 pm »

I am not a fan of autoenhance but I just tried it on a few files (including Sony A7r files) and I have not detected any overxposure problem neither visually nor on the histogram. I am presently running OSX 10.9.2.

Jim Funston

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 12:16:39 am »

I found out that MAC is aware of a problem with auto enhance with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB video card in their new iMac with  3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 processors........ supposedly they are working on it; using the auto enhance will blow out the curves by over two stops.

dseelig

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 04:12:56 pm »

Will there be a real update? I AMN IN NYC and went on the apple website to get a free class at the soho store and noticed no aperture classes any where. Not a very good sign.
David

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2014, 05:02:46 am »

I'm not seeing many (any?) crashes, and I don't know that I've had to rebuild my Aperture database once since I started using it in late 2006.

So I suspect there's something else going on with your system.
I've had to rebuild my Library twice this week, something in all the years of using Aperture I can't remember ever doing. My computer just freezes ( a 2012 MBP), I have to power down. I suspect it might be something to do with Spotify, that's the only change I can think has been made recently.
To play it safe I've just ordered another backup drive I'm going to copy the library to. This will be a Thunderbolt not usb, just incase there is some problem there. Another copy (I have 2 copies already) will not be a mistake and a move to Thunderbolt should be a nice upgrade. Still not sure why the computer freezes.
Kevin.

westfreeman

• West Freeman Photography
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »

WOW !!
This tread started Jan 2013 and there is still no Aperture 4 yet. ... Apple and the pro Photographer, what a odd relationship.  I love my 30" display but the next one will not be an Apple if they don't bring back the antiglare screens. 

there are many things that Lightroom does better and that is why I use it.  But at the same time I will not use any software that I have to subscribe to.  We could all go on and on.

trichardlin

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:47 pm »

WOW !!
This tread started Jan 2013 and there is still no Aperture 4 yet. ... Apple and the pro Photographer, what a odd relationship.  I love my 30" display but the next one will not be an Apple if they don't bring back the antiglare screens. 

there are many things that Lightroom does better and that is why I use it.  But at the same time I will not use any software that I have to subscribe to.  We could all go on and on.

Apple is really in a deep new products funk right now.  No new significant hardware, no new significant software.  As a long time fan, it is getting really long in the tooth.

The sad thing is, no one else is stepping up to the plate.  Lightroom has a great imaging engine and a great feature set, but it still feels like a half baked product in its user interface.  I wish Adobe just be like Samsung and copy Aperture's interface and smoothness already.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2014, 12:42:47 pm »

What I've done to re-invigorate this app is to to purchase Perfect Photo Suite 8.5 as a plug-in. The workflow is efficient and although not parametric by creating a PSD of a copy and working in layers all corrections can be re-edited.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up