Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 4  (Read 242843 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Aperture 4
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »

I noticed this on Amazon.ca : Apple Aperture 4: Unleashing Your Photo Workflow by John Lewell (Feb 12 2013). I can only assume that is the date of release of new software.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Aperture 4
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:49 pm »

It'll come not a moment too soon. I'm pretty fed up with the crashes & hangs, database rebuilds & the rest of the nonsense.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:40:30 pm »

I'm not seeing many (any?) crashes, and I don't know that I've had to rebuild my Aperture database once since I started using it in late 2006.

So I suspect there's something else going on with your system.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:52 pm »

I'm with Cat, I haven't had Aperture crash since 2009 (I looked in ~/Library/Logs), and I haven't had to rebuild the library for a long time either.

I have noticed that if I leave Aperture open for a long time (a week or more, usually) I'll see some odd behavior, like an adjustment block won't work. But quitting and restarting always resolves that. And besides, given Apple's track record with v.1 software, Aperture 4.0 might be just as troublesome, though likely in different ways.  :)
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

jonathanlung

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 01:55:40 pm »

I had to keep rebuilding my libraries on my old Air, but it turned out the hard drive was about to go kaput and was occasionally (silently) corrupting data.

braeburnboy

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:03:58 pm »

Hi Bill

Using latest aperture 3.4.3 I believe and mt. Lion Mac Pro works fine for me no troubles but on my Mac air no good but on my iMac its just a little slow loading some times  - I think the graphics card in my Mac  pro helps a lot

I do a lot of books and there usually excellent has a few hiccups like font troubles and a cover printed upside doen but apple fixed for free both times and quickly

All things considered I'm ok with aperture except trying to print right from the program isn't easy so I just edit in photoshop cs6 and print
Braeburnboy

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »

It'll come not a moment too soon. I'm pretty fed up with the crashes & hangs, database rebuilds & the rest of the nonsense.

I'd be fed up too, but Aperture has been stable for me since 3.2 or thereabouts.  Since 3.0 - 3.2 was ... tipsy ... I myself am not looking forward to the leaping from 3.x to attempt a landing on the newly polished decks of 4.0.

If your installation is not unworrisomely afloat, something is wrong.  I run several Libraries on a few machines in a few locations, and they are all now -- and have been for some time -- seaworthy and ocean-going.

There is an skilled group of trouble-shooters over at the Apple Discussion forum for Aperture.  If you detail your problems, you are sure to receive excellent advice.  (I am a frequent contributor.)

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:54 pm »

Aperture is the hands down best software for managing photos and doing the prime level of adjustments and a whole raft of other uses.

C1, Lightroom and others are a few hundred miles in the rear.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

ario

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 03:07:10 am »

Aperture is the hands down best software for managing photos and doing the prime level of adjustments and a whole raft of other uses.

C1, Lightroom and others are a few hundred miles in the rear.
Ipse dixit. :)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:33:08 pm »

Don't know if this applies to the problems you are having, but I have not had a single Aperture library corruption issue since I bought a GRAID external disk and moved my libraries to it.

I run a 2011 Mac Air with external monitor and self upgraded RAM.

That being said, I am looking at the new $599 Mac Mini as a photoshop and aperture machine in the near future. This is only because I started stitching bigger files together and the Air is starting to lock up, probably because the RAM is not sufficient (scratch space is going over 120gig and things are getting dicey when I try to do anything with >500MB PSD files).

I described the minimum cost configuration and why I think it will be a reasonable short term solution (until I upgrade from CS5 and Aperture 3, not sure about Aperture 4 requirements yet, but CS6 seems to benefit from more cores at least) on another post here.

Cheers!

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 07:01:31 pm »

To close the loop on this thread, I have been having colour management issues with Aperture when printing. I just downloaded the latest driver for my HP B9180 and all is corrected. Now when Aperture 4 comes out next month I doubt I'll be an early adopter.

gfsymon

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:36 pm »

The colour management issues are actually as much to do with the OS as they are to do with Aperture.  Or, so it would seem.

jonathanlung

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »

I run a 2011 Mac Air with external monitor and self upgraded RAM.

How did you manage that? (The RAM. I know how to use an external monitor :D )

onlinedelivery

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »

After loving everything about Aperture except its horrible printing, I decided to do some research and solve it. I had a huge print job coming up and didn't want to have to take everything to Photoshop to get printing I could count on and predict. I've been printing using a software driven process learned in Photoshop. Photoshop ran the profile. Even then, I always had to shift my file slightly to get it bright enough or have enough saturation.

Then I stumbled across a landscape photographer that said to let the printer drive. It can't be that simple... Does Adobe know more about my Epson printer than the company that makes it? After thinking about it, I decided not. Steve Jobs would have wanted it to be easy.

Bam! My Aperture printing has been perfect ever since. Better than anything I get out of Photoshop. In Aperture I let the printer manage the printing. In the printer driver under Mountain Lion, I have the right colorsync profile chosen for the right paper. I save that along with the usual printer settings as an Epson preset. A newer profile from ColorMunki tweaked in a slight brightness and saturation shift I had previously tweaked in Aperture. Now printing has become become automatic and straight forward.

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:28:30 pm »

On the other hand, a recent HP driver update for OS X 8.2.2 allowed me to use Aperture to print on my B9180 with appropriate ICC profiles.

trichardlin

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 02:19:32 am »

> Then I stumbled across a landscape photographer that said to let the printer drive.

That's exactly what I found recently after getting my new Epson R3000 printer.  Because it was a new printer, I experimented with different settings, but initially always set color profiles in Aperture.  It was close, but never spot on.  Things snapped into place after I switched to letting printer manage color.   

I know many of you here might be appalled to hear this, but I use Epson Color Control rather than using ColorSync in the Color Matching tab in the print dialog.  Although there's not much adjustment needed in this setting, I can easily fine tune the color or brightness of the print using the Advanced Color Settings tab under Printer Settings. 

Richard

tonywong

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 02:02:18 pm »

*Tumbleweeds*  :-\

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14:05 pm »

*Tumbleweeds*  :-\
Beautifully expressed, bordering on the clichéd, but with a terseness that feels new.  I might have increased the contrast a bit more (on my monitor it's a bit wispy) but perhaps that was your intent.  The subject matter is well chosen -- objective correlative and all that -- but I'm left wondering if the treatment might have borne us more powerfully to the subject itself.  Just my light breezes in your stilled wind.  Well done.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 12:20:11 pm »

I would have thought thatAdobe's Creative Cloud announcements would have caused some renewed interest in Aperture. I guess it is not generally assumed that Lightroom is likely to follow Photoshop into the subscription-only cloud one day. But that's my bet: a photographers' cloud with Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom iOS and Revel. And then a subscription-only photographers's cloud.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

rgg195

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 10:39:32 am »

It did for me and a couple of my fellow photographer friends. I am in the process of moving over from Lightroom to Aperture. It's not as much work as I thought and I must admit the interface and usability of Aperture is way better than Lightroom - I am surprised how much faster and smoother Aperture works. I just wish I had never converted some of my raw files to DNG - big mistake!. Not only Aperture, but a bunch of other high end high programs have problems with DNG. I would recommend to anyone not to convert to DNG, there really is no real upside and contrary to popular opinion you really are locking yourself into Adobe.

Cheers
Guy
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:41:43 am by rgg195 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up