Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 4  (Read 242865 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Aperture 4
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 05:04:25 pm »

I just wish I had never converted some of my raw files to DNG - big mistake!. Not only Aperture, but a bunch of other high end high programs have problems with DNG. I would recommend to anyone not to convert to DNG, there really is no real upside and contrary to popular opinion you really are locking yourself into Adobe.

I agree! You lose some functionality in the conversion (for example, Aperture can't find the focus points in a DNG) and I just can't find any real advantage to just using the vendor's format (Nikon, in my case).
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

ButchM

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 05:54:41 pm »

I don't have any worries about the DNG files I have created in the past ... though I no longer have the confidence to create any more in light of last week's policy change by Adobe. Though it would solve a great deal of issues if the camera makers would settle on and use a universal file format for ALL digital cameras ... even if it had to be a few different types for the various types of sensors used, it would be better than the constant addition of a new file format for EVERY camera made ...

On Aperture 4 wishes ... I'm not all that concerned about specific features ... but that there will be the next step from Apple ... for me, my photography is my only source of livelihood and it has been that way for nearly 40 years ... a business has to be able to plan ahead ... uncertainty is not an element that one likes to embrace for planning for the future ... again, in light of recent events, I will never again keep all my eggs in one basket for my RAW processing workflow so if Apple doesn't wish to step up (and I hope they do in a really big way) I'll be forced to seek out another option ...

If Apple doesn't make an official announcement at WWDC next month, or at least a serious indication of something to come later this year ... confidence among Aperture users will surely dwindle ... and likely very rapidly ...

It's too bad that we are forced to jump through all these hoops created by billion dollar corporations that depend upon our financial support to survive ... one would hope they could become just a bit more responsive to our concerns ... since without us ... they have no reason to exist. I know I couldn't survive at all by taking my customers for granted ...

David S

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:52 am »

When this thread started in January, the OP thought that 4 might be released soon. I haven't seen any definite news. Have I missed something?

Dave S

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:08 pm »

Nope.

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 05:26:09 am »

WWDC came and went with not a hint of Aperture 4, disappointed.
Wills
Wil

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 06:22:16 am »

I found this post about an updated SDK intriguing. Sync the release of Aperture 4 to the new high end hardware?

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 07:50:06 am »

WWDC came and went with not a hint of Aperture 4, disappointed.

Me, too. But the prospect of an updated FCP together with the new Mac Pro hardware gives another opportunity. Aperture has always depended, to some extent, on GPU as a supplement to CPU. Maybe the Mac Pro will give Apple the chance to show off Aperture vs Lightroom speed on that hardware.

And there's no real reason to have updated the SDK unless they are thinking something.

Bob
Bob Rockefeller

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 09:15:50 am »

I found this post about an updated SDK intriguing. Sync the release of Aperture 4 to the new high end hardware?
Agree. Thanks for the link. It makes sense (but so did Apple introducing new Pro apps alongside the new Mac Pro). Alas, we still won't know until we know.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 09:24:18 am »

Agree. Thanks for the link. It makes sense (but so did Apple introducing new Pro apps alongside the new Mac Pro). Alas, we still won't know until we know.

Ultimately, that's right and how Apple is; they've "doubled down" on secrecy. I guess they feel like too many have copied their ideas and don't want to give anyone a head start.

I'd sure like a big update to Aperture to cap off all the smaller changes over the past year, or so. But I still get done what I want to get done, in the way I like doing it, with Aperture today.

Bob
Bob Rockefeller

ButchM

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »

And there's no real reason to have updated the SDK unless they are thinking something.

Yes ... I don't ever recall a developer issuing an updated SDK for an end of life product, which many had feared Apple was considering ... while I wanted to hear more by now ... this little nugget about the SDK has me feeling better about the future ...

Guess we'll just have to wait patiently for confirmation of something extremely bold for Aperture to come ...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »

Well, don't forget the architect of Adobe's cloud joined Apple in March.....

ButchM

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 06:55:48 pm »

What you sayn' John? ...  :o

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »

At least there is plenty of speculation to go around now about the future of Aperture. It doesn't sound like its quite dead, yet.

Consider the possibility that the next Aperture will be even more optimized for splitting off processing to the GPU. And then look at the GPU powerhouse the new Mac Pro will be.

It may not be hard to imagine an Apple pro user event this fall with the Mac Pro, upgraded MacBook Pro Retina models (with Thunderbolt 2), FCP X and Aperture (X?). If desktop retina displays could be available by then, a Mac Pro running the new Aperture (and FCP X) on a pair of such displays might well run circles around Lightroom, and the rest of the competition, making a powerful "show the pros" presentation opportunity for Apple.

Bob

Bob Rockefeller

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:23 am »

It's now August and not a hint of Aperture 4, October seems to be the next event with Mavericks and new hardware what's the chance they are too busy to look at updating Aperture.
Wills
Wil

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 10:11:16 am »

It's now August and not a hint of Aperture 4, October seems to be the next event with Mavericks and new hardware what's the chance they are too busy to look at updating Aperture.

It is very likely that the next version of Aperture, probably Aperture X, will happen. Aperture does not appear to be dead.

It could come out "by surprise" most any time much like Logic X did.

Or it could be tightly coupled to Mavericks and/or iOS 7 capabilities and be ready then.

An even longer shot is that it will so efficiently make use of the dual-GPU design of the new Mac Pro that it will be released at the same time as a showcase for that machine.

Bob
Bob Rockefeller

fhammond

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »

(I came across this thread looking for something else, so I'm replying very late.)

I think you're referring to Kevin Lynch. I worked in Kevin's team and have a lot of respect for him and was definitely sorry to seem him leave. Fortunately for Adobe, he was not the architect of the Creative Cloud or the internal platform that Creative Cloud runs on. I don't think there is one single architect for these things but probably the closest person is someone who is still definitely at the company (and is my boss!). Kevin definitely was the driving force behind the themes of mobile, social and cloud at Adobe but many people have been involved in architecting and implementing his vision.

Regards,
Fergus

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 02:53:48 am »

Fergus, I used "architect" in a loose sense to pull Butch's leg over Apple offering him shelter from the Creative Cloud. "Driving force" would do equally well!

John
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:49:11 am by johnbeardy »

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »

Several new pieces of software to be announced by Apple next week. dare we think Aperture will be one of them?
Peter Randall

ButchM

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »

Several new pieces of software to be announced by Apple next week. dare we think Aperture will be one of them?

Well ... I have seen more than one rumor report that FCP X is to receive a significant update to coincide with Mavericks ... If Aperture does not receive similar attention that would be extremely disconcerting for more than a few folks. I am holding onto the hope that Apple is aware of this and will satisfy their users with a fresh, new offering this coming Tuesday. **Fingers crossed**

kirkt

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 02:00:46 pm »

No new Aperture in the kool-aid presentation going on right now... at least in the app portion of the event.

bummer.

kirk
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:03:40 pm by kirkt »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up