Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing in OS X 10.7.5--and--Apple Epson Printer Update  (Read 2045 times)

Garnick

Printing in OS X 10.7.5--and--Apple Epson Printer Update
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:14:33 am »

Hello All,

First I must wish everyone on the forum a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous NEW YEAR! Given the present economy here in Canada and the U.S. I believe we can only look forward to better things in the future. Hopefully that will be the case for all of us.

Two questions...I'm presently working with 10.7.3 on a 2010 MacPro and everything seems to be OK. I am considering upgrading to 10.7.5 and would like to get a bit of feedback concerning that OS and any issues printing with the 9900. And I suppose I might as well ask about 10.8.x as well while I'm here, any issues with that OS?

Also the Apple Software Update for Epson Printers. Earlier this year there were issues with that update and larger format Epson printers. When I took possession of the MacPro I was very careful not to apply the update. However, the Silverfast v8 app required that the update be done, so I really had no choice. Since I have 2 bootable clones of my main HDD I took the leap and new that I could easily start up on a boot clone and restore back if necessary. Since then things have been operating as expected, so no problems with the 9900. As I recall it all had something to with the fact that if the 9900 driver was the 9.x version it should be OK, and in my experience that was the case. I've just noticed another Apple Epson Printer Update and I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with this latest one.

Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Gary   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printing in OS X 10.7.5--and--Apple Epson Printer Update
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:24:17 am »

Hi Gary,

I can't answer your main question because I am still on 10.6.8. and using an Epson 4900.

However, I noticed in your post - if I understand it correctly - mention of needing to do an Epson driver upgrade for the purposes of SilverFast 8. I don't understand why that should be the case. As far as I know, SilverFast 8 has nothing to do with the Epson driver - unless perhaps you are trying to use PrinTao. Grateful if you could clarify.

And Happy New Year to you too.

(And, BTW, economic conditions could well be worse than they were in 2012. It depends on so many uncertain variables...........let's not go there on New Year's Eve on a photography forum.........) Let us enjoy what is good while it lasts!
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:07:52 pm »

Hi Gary,

I can't answer your main question because I am still on 10.6.8. and using an Epson 4900.

However, I noticed in your post - if I understand it correctly - mention of needing to do an Epson driver upgrade for the purposes of SilverFast 8. I don't understand why that should be the case. As far as I know, SilverFast 8 has nothing to do with the Epson driver - unless perhaps you are trying to use PrinTao. Grateful if you could clarify.

And Happy New Year to you too.

(And, BTW, economic conditions could well be worse than they were in 2012. It depends on so many uncertain variables...........let's not go there on New Year's Eve on a photography forum.........) Let us enjoy what is good while it lasts!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I should have clarified my reference to Silverfast. As you are probably aware, the Apple Epson Printer Update also updates many scanner drivers as they relate to the "Image Capture" app in OS X.  In Lion, only version 8 of Silverfast Ai Studio will work with the V750, so of course I had to upgrade.  However, in order for v.8 to work, Apple's Image Capture had to be updated to the latest version as well.  That was an update I was not prepared to do initially, due to the reports of quite a few people on this and another forum of issues with the large format printers after the Apple/Epson Update.  I did a lot of research and forum surfing and waited as long as I could before actually taking the plunge and applying the latest Apple Epson Printer/Scanner Update, knowing that I could boot up on one of my clone drives and restore back to MacHD if necessary.  I finally found some information to the effect that if one is running v.9.x of the printer driver there should be no problem, since the Apple Update was also v.9.  The theory was that the v.9 Apple Update was creating a conflict with earlier printer driver versions, which certainly seemed plausible.  All of this was covered during the summer and early autumn months on this and other forums.  I eventually did apply the Apple Update and all was well in printerland.  So my question this time was to determine if anyone is having issues/conflicts with the latest Apple Epson Printer Update and the Epson Large Format Printers.  I'll have to perhaps check the update version and also whether there has been a recent Epson update for the 9900 driver.  If the two update versions coincide I imagine there should be no problems.

Well Mark, as usual I seem to have become rather wordy in my attempt at an explanation, but I do hope I have been able to clarify the situation and the reason for my initial question.  Thanks again for the reply and stumbling through my initial post, confusing as it was.

Gary     

Gary N.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:00:38 pm »

well, the Apple epson update is specifically geared for consumer printers.  I would avoid it at all costs, it can be problematic.

Can't you download scanner drivers for epson scanners directly from epson and install them that way, rather than depending on the apple printer drivers?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »

Gary and Wayne, there is no need for Apple's updates of Epson drivers (I agree, not a good idea) in order to run SilverFast 8 with an Epson V750 scanner. You install the scanner, install SilverFast 8, and you're done. If it's needed at all, the Epson website has downloadable drivers and utilities for this scanner compatible with whichever operating system you are using.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »

Gary and Wayne, there is no need for Apple's updates of Epson drivers (I agree, not a good idea) in order to run SilverFast 8 with an Epson V750 scanner. You install the scanner, install SilverFast 8, and you're done. If it's needed at all, the Epson website has downloadable drivers and utilities for this scanner compatible with whichever operating system you are using.

Hi Mark,

Yes, one might think that the Apple Epson Printer/Scanner Update should not be necessary for the Silverfast v.8 app.  However, after I initially downloaded the V750 version of Silverfast 8 I noticed a "warning" in the install dialog that Apple Image Capture must be up to date in order for v.8 to work properly.  I then contacted Lasersoft and they confirmed that was indeed the case.  After having read about he misfortune of a few other members of this and another forum I was very reluctant to run the Apple Update, for obvious reasons.  I rely on my two large format printers in my business each and every day and downtime is not an option.  After a number of communications with Lasersoft I was finally convinced that indeed the only way that I could successfully install Silverfast v.8 was to do the Apple Update as well, so I did just that and it hasn't caused any problems.  Also, if you check the Epson site for the latest V750 driver for Lion you will notice that it is indeed an ICA(Image Capture Application) driver and can only be downloaded through Apple Software Update.  That's the "Apple Epson Printer Driver Update" that I've been questioning in this post.  However, after having said all of this I too have made the decision not to go anywhere near the Apple Software Update and take a chance on jeopardizing my printing capabilities. 

Again, I agree that it seems rather strange that the ICA would have to be updated in order for Silverfast v.8 to operate in Lion, but that is the case as stated by Lasersoft.  Yes, there is another driver and utility listed as well, but Lasersoft insists that the ICA app be up to date.  Perhaps the fact that you working with a different OS would mean that the aforementioned restrictions for Lion and the V750 SIlverfast v.8 download would no apply.  I'm not at all certain about that, since I'm working with Lion and have no experience with the V750 in Snow Leopard.  If you were to try to install the Silverfast v.8 driver in 10.7 you would also be presented with the "warning" I mentioned previously.  Moot point?, yes, since I will not be applying the Apple Software Update regardless.  It was however a definite issue a few months ago and may be again at some point.

Gary         

Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »

As I haven't updated to Lion I haven't experienced the issue, so your information on that would be more recent than mine. Thanks for the explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up