Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Key Step To Becoming A Better Photographer In 2013  (Read 7420 times)

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
Re: A Key Step To Becoming A Better Photographer In 2013
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:29 am »

It's partly generational, partly cultural. To some "mission statement" reeks of 1980's corporate bullshit along with TQM and other diversions from running a business. If I lived in NW Scotland my mission statement would be "to drink beautiful whisky in beautiful places."

Were I zig-zagging across America, competing with other extremely sharp people like Matt Kloskowski, I'd want a clean statement of what I want to do for myself in photography such as "take beautiful pictures of ugly places."

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 02:38:58 pm »

You know what - I am completely wrong (digs spoon deeply into humble pie and starts to eat...), after finally watching the whole video through last night, I have to admit I was off about as far as I could be on this one. Up until last night I had only read Matt's post and as had already been pointed out in this thread, culturally for me, any talk of setting goals or mission statements being associated in any way with photographic creativity, sent an icy cold shiver all the way down the back of my spine. But when looking at the accompanying video, I have to admit that this video is in actual fact, full of excellent advice for the beginning photographer, to help decide what genre of photography they should choose to concentrate their efforts on and pursue to best effect.

Obviously my passion for photography temporarily blocked my ability to rationalise what was being said. So all I can say is, that if I am wrong then I am ALWAYS big enough to admit I am wrong and this time I was entirely wrong.

Sorry Matt, Scott and Jeff  :-[

Dave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:36:09 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:15 pm »

Obviously my passion for photography temporarily blocked my ability to rationalise what was being said. So all I can say is, that if I am wrong then I am ALWAYS big enough to admit I am wrong and this time I was entirely wrong.

Good for you Dave...and I also watched the video and I agree with your assessment of it-it does provide useful advice for amateur photographers–either beginners or those that want to take a fresh approach. See, we Americans aren't all THAT screwed up :~)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up