Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yank in UK needs quick Canon repair  (Read 2150 times)

mshea

Yank in UK needs quick Canon repair
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »

Hi All,

Just arrived in UK (Chichester). My 5D MKII worked fine yesterday. Today it's partially dead. LED readout on top is functioning but I can't access any options on the back to the camera. Shutter trips when turning on the camera and when switching from mode to mode. No focus confirm either. All I can think of is some moisture got inside and shorted something when changing lenses yesterday. Looks like I'll have to take it in for service. Is my USA CPS membership valid here? And where's the best location: Elstree? Possible to get same-day service?

Thanks for any advice!

Merrill

Righteye

Re: Yank in UK needs quick Canon repair
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »

Elstree is Canon HQ here in the UK and i would think that is your best bet.
I live not to far from there and is one of the reasons i have stuck with Canon because the service centre is so close.
There are other repair centres but none are any nearer to you than Elstree if you are remaining in Cirencester from what i can see on google earth.
Moisture is a big problem in the UK at the moment i think this has become the wettest year on record.
You probably have the link and address below but i included it the post just in case.
Good luck, i hope the rest of your trip goes without further mishap.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx

Unit 130 Centennial Avenue
Centennial Park
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE

Tel: 0844 369 0100
Please be aware that this number will connect you to our helpdesk. Select option 3 where the customer support agent  will try to resolve your general repair enquiry. Please note that some calls may have to be referred to the Canon repair centre who will return your call as soon as possible.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:09:46 pm by Righteye »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »

Canon at Elstree can be helpful, but it's not the easiest place to get to if you don't have your own transport.
Not sure what the CPS membership from the US will get you here, you'll have to call them. If you're lucky they may be open tomorrow, otherwise you'll have to wait until Wednesday because of the New Year holiday here.

Canon's other main agent in South East England is Fixation http://www.fixationuk.com They're easier to get to being in central London and a short walk from Vauxhall tube station, but they won't be open until Wednesday 2nd Jan. This is definitely THE place for Pro service in the south east, if you can't get a loan body via your CPS membership Fixation have a good rental business.

I think either location will do same day repairs, assuming any spares are available, they may also be helpful with respect to mailing a body back to you by next day delivery courier too. Our Royal Mail postal service have a "Special Delivery" service which guarantees next day delivery for valuables at a reasonable cost, most post offices can also sell you suitable packing too if getting to London isn't an option. I don't think there anything nearer to Chichester that can help.

My own preference would be Fixation, but you may be able to get a loan body from Canon if you're CPS which might swing it for you.
Fixation also might be a win for you if you want to visit London anyway. There's some good photo exhibitions on in town at the moment, eg the Taylor Wessing Portrait awards at the National Portrait Gallery, plus it's just a great place to visit even in the rain ;-)

Hope this helps

Paul

Gel

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:42:03 pm »

Hi Merrill,

Canon Elstree is the best place, really it is. Fixation are a lot more expensive too.
The problem you have is it's a half day tomorrow and bank holiday on Tuesday. Most things won't be up and running until Wednesday.

I'm in Brighton, about 30 minutes from you and if I was in the same position, and it was urgent I'd do one of the following.

1. Take the battery out and place the body face down in a sealed bag of rice overnight.
2. Look to buy a used one locally
3. Contact Canon Elstree first thing in the a.m. and see what they can do for you. If they accept it as a repair use Royal Mail special delivery, they'll have it Wednesday and if sent the same day you'll have it Thursday...if you are Platinum CPS. Or they can arrange a loner for delivery Wednesday.
4. Look at it as being a reason to buy a MKiii

If you are really, really desperate you can have my assistants backup 5D2 which I don't think has anything more than 10k clicks on it for £1350 delivered in person.
My wedding season is over for the coming weeks so I have the chance to find a replacement.

It sounds like the shutter though. It's all that ever really goes wrong.

mshea

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »

Thanks for all the input, fellas. I was prepared to call Canon in the morning and then decided to put the body in an airing closet overnight and, thank goodness, that did the trick.

Merrill

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 02:03:39 pm »

Good to hear it's all worked out OK.
Funny how often simple remedies work out well.

Enjoy your stay here :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up