Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What back to put on a Hasselblad 500 series camera?  (Read 12602 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: What back to put on a Hasselblad 500 series camera?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 08:10:51 am »

Hi,

Try shooting on tripod, with MLU and self timer. Try apertures from 5.6 to 11. You may alsomhave a focusing issue. Try to vary focus.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Steve

Just a quick question on the CFV. I got a CF39 and I still need a synch cable between the back and the CFE 80mm. Am I doing something wrong? The back won't capture anything unless the cable is plugged.
Also, how is the CF39 in terms of sharpness? I've been playing around it to be honest the images are not as sharp as I'd like at 100% I shoot under good day light and around F11 125s so I don't think it's an aperture or focus issue (focused at infinity). I'm thinking it might be due to slight mirrow slap or the older lens?
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 01:39:19 am »

Hi,

Looking at old postings - check out this good info from Steve Hendrix! Really great guy!

So, what happened? Once prices dropped below 10000$US I bought a P45+ from Poland, got me a Hasselbald 555/ELD. I have been trough something like 9 lenses.

The system worked decently well. After something like 2 3/4 years of usage it went into retirement. A nice but a bit expensive experience. The reason it went into retirement is the arrival of the Sony A7rII.

Just to make things clear: The advice from Steve was extremely good. The fact it did not work out for me has nothing to do with Steve's advice. I may add that the Hasselblad 555/ELD P45+ combo did make great images. But, the Alpha 99 I had also made great images, and those images made it to the wall…

Best regards
Erik

Erik -

A reasonable pursuit. The interesting thing is that most of our Hassleblad and Contax customers are the most stable, in terms of feeling the (lack of) need to upgrade camera/backs. I think that speaks to a genuine fondness and preference for the camera platform. And if that is in place, then there are a number of ways you can go.

I had a client try out the CFV-50 a couple weeks ago. Even though he would have to turn the camera itself over to shoot a vertical (he mostly shoots landscapes), he was still intrigued by the simplicity of the CFV, with no cable. It felt very simple, and that was his key, he wanted simple. In fact, that is why he wants to continue shooting his Hasselblad. But for some, turning the camera on its side would be a deal breaker, and if they wanted long exposures past 30 seconds, only the Phase Plus backs provide that option. It is pretty subjective, but the positive is there are quite a few models to choose from.

Some of the below solutions start at less than $4,000, even from a dealer like CI.

**Phase One P/P+ Series
Pros: Plus backs can perform very long exposures, can be re-mounted on the camera for orientation change
Cons: Small, mediocre LCD screen, Sync cable required

- P21+/P30+ - Expanded ISO Range
- P25+/45+ - Larger sensor, long exposure

**Leaf Aptus/Aptus-II Series
Pros: Enhanced functionality (input lens data, pinpoint tonal range, etc).
Cons: Large mediocre LCD (but best chance of checking sharpness vs competitors), Sync Cable required.

- Aptus 65/Aptus-II 28 - More megapixels than Aptus 22
- Aptus 22/75/Aptus-II 22/33 - Larger sensor

**Hasselblad CFV Series

Pros: No Sync Cable required, looks sweet (just like the film back)
Cons: Small mediocre LCD, DB cannot be re-mounted in vertical orientation

- CFV-39/50 - Large sensor, ample resolution
- CFV-16 - Smaller sensor, square sensor (you can also pre-crop larger sensors for square capture.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
CI Pre-Owned Digital Backs
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:45:56 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 04:32:16 am »

Hi,

Looking at old postings - check out this good info from Steve Hendrix! Really great guy!

So, what happened? Once prices dropped below 10000$US I bought a P45+ from Poland, got me a Hasselbald 555/ELD. I have been trough something like 9 lenses.

The system worked decently well. After something like 2 3/4 years of usage it went into retirement. A nice but a bit expensive experience. The reason it went into retirement is the arrival of the Sony A7rII.

Best regards
Erik

I can't disagree on the technical end results Erik but as an amateur a lot of the pleasure in my photography is the shooting experience and that, for me, is where the Sony falls flat on its face.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 03:39:23 pm »

Hi Chris,

The intention of my post was to tell about the great advice I got from Steve Hendrix. I felt that his advice was accurate, honest and to the point.

That MFD didn't work for me is another issue, fully unrelated. But, it is also a part of the story. Another part of the story was that I really enjoyed the experience, but I don't feel that results justified the expenses.

On the personal side, I could feel no pride in spending a lot of money MFD. I just felt ignorant, irresponsible and stupid. I guess that you should never buy against your best judgement. I was quite a bit skeptical going into MFD and I got far more skeptical using it.

Best regards
Erik

I can't disagree on the technical end results Erik but as an amateur a lot of the pleasure in my photography is the shooting experience and that, for me, is where the Sony falls flat on its face.
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph B.

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 03:39:42 am »

I guess it depends on what you're using it for.
If you need long exposures in dim lit situations perhaps combined with high ISO etc - then you're better off with a cmos back or a 35mm DSLR or a Sony mirrorless.

But for portraits (especially in a studio environment) or still life (with camera movements) and many other scenarios a medium format back is great.

Miyata610

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 10:25:30 pm »

It seems odd reviving such an old thread....

I love my V series bodies. I love shooting film. I love shooting with my ancient H25 back even more.

It's such a "back to basics" experience.

Why does anyone need/want the latest or greatest for these classic cameras? As long as the crop from real 645 isn't too big (1.1 is about the limit) then just enjoy the experience.

We all have other camera systems, nobody would really choose MF for their high ISO low light needs, surely. We'd just pick up our A7 something or our ugly canikon plastic lumps.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 02:55:52 am »

Hi,

The reason I revived the thread was that I stumbled over it and wanted to give an example of great advice from Steve Hendrix of Capture Integration. Steve is informative and helpful and his suggestions always makes sense.

Best regards
Erik

Erik -

A reasonable pursuit. The interesting thing is that most of our Hassleblad and Contax customers are the most stable, in terms of feeling the (lack of) need to upgrade camera/backs. I think that speaks to a genuine fondness and preference for the camera platform. And if that is in place, then there are a number of ways you can go.

I had a client try out the CFV-50 a couple weeks ago. Even though he would have to turn the camera itself over to shoot a vertical (he mostly shoots landscapes), he was still intrigued by the simplicity of the CFV, with no cable. It felt very simple, and that was his key, he wanted simple. In fact, that is why he wants to continue shooting his Hasselblad. But for some, turning the camera on its side would be a deal breaker, and if they wanted long exposures past 30 seconds, only the Phase Plus backs provide that option. It is pretty subjective, but the positive is there are quite a few models to choose from.

Some of the below solutions start at less than $4,000, even from a dealer like CI.

**Phase One P/P+ Series
Pros: Plus backs can perform very long exposures, can be re-mounted on the camera for orientation change
Cons: Small, mediocre LCD screen, Sync cable required

- P21+/P30+ - Expanded ISO Range
- P25+/45+ - Larger sensor, long exposure

**Leaf Aptus/Aptus-II Series
Pros: Enhanced functionality (input lens data, pinpoint tonal range, etc).
Cons: Large mediocre LCD (but best chance of checking sharpness vs competitors), Sync Cable required.

- Aptus 65/Aptus-II 28 - More megapixels than Aptus 22
- Aptus 22/75/Aptus-II 22/33 - Larger sensor

**Hasselblad CFV Series

Pros: No Sync Cable required, looks sweet (just like the film back)
Cons: Small mediocre LCD, DB cannot be re-mounted in vertical orientation

- CFV-39/50 - Large sensor, ample resolution
- CFV-16 - Smaller sensor, square sensor (you can also pre-crop larger sensors for square capture.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
CI Pre-Owned Digital Backs

It seems odd reviving such an old thread....

I love my V series bodies. I love shooting film. I love shooting with my ancient H25 back even more.

It's such a "back to basics" experience.

Why does anyone need/want the latest or greatest for these classic cameras? As long as the crop from real 645 isn't too big (1.1 is about the limit) then just enjoy the experience.

We all have other camera systems, nobody would really choose MF for their high ISO low light needs, surely. We'd just pick up our A7 something or our ugly canikon plastic lumps.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up