Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LightZone - doing a Lazarus?  (Read 11808 times)

Tonysx

LightZone - doing a Lazarus?
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:19:47 am »

‘Be you ever so high, the law

francois

Re: LightZone - doing a Lazarus?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:40:09 am »

An announcement that leads to here

I thought that LightZone was dead for good and buried…

Thanks for the link!
Francois

Tonysx

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:13:41 am »

The version (3.9) that they supply a link to, was the latest but appears to work with many later cameras' RAW images.
Personally, I quite liked Lightzone.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »

When the product first came out, I was enthusiast and even wrote an article about it. At the time, we were told that 1.X customers would have a lifetime free upgrade. A year or so later, the boys running things decided this was not good for them so they reneged which soured my impression a great deal. I like the product, the people behind it, not so much.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tuthill

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »

When the product first came out, I was enthusiast and even wrote an article about it. At the time, we were told that 1.X customers would have a lifetime free upgrade. A year or so later, the boys running things decided this was not good for them so they reneged which soured my impression a great deal. I like the product, the people behind it, not so much.

Now that it's open source my understanding is that the only original developer involved in the resurrection is Anton Kast so you may wish to give it another look.  You'll get your free lifetime upgrades at any rate:-)

Tonysx

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:57:52 pm »

When the product first came out, I was enthusiast and even wrote an article about it. At the time, we were told that 1.X customers would have a lifetime free upgrade. A year or so later, the boys running things decided this was not good for them so they reneged which soured my impression a great deal.
Hah! Many, many years ago I purchased Paintshop Pro from JASC Software - with a lifetime upgrade. Then it got sold to Corel - you know the rest..

I like the product, the people behind it, not so much.
I also am a little irritated with the original team because at the time I came across Lightzone I was running a Win2000 machine and their then latest version required at least WinXP. I asked to purchase a license for the previous version but they declined.....  Granted Lightzone doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Lightroom, it still has some interesting features and seems to be a capable product which I quite like!

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:42 am »

Interesting to see this coming back. I too liked it, generally, when it first came out.  There were some quirks, particularly with printing.  The user forum was quite active but vendor support wasn't great. 

If I recall, there were some internal problems with some of the original group leaving the company.  The change in management may have been the impetus behind the change in pricing structure.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:54 am »

I still use LightZone 3 for certain types of editing. I don't use it for raw conversion, and it could never replace Photoshop for me. But the tone-mapper and relight tools are very useful for tonal adjustments, especially when combined with different blend modes. The big downside with LightZone is performance. Even on the latest machines it performs pretty badly, and is only capable of using about 1.5GB of RAM. The bigger your image file the worse things get; in fact past about 100mp it just won't work which makes it unsuitable for working on stitched panos. So if performance can be improved in the open-source project that would be great.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:07:37 pm »

Hi,

You know, life time can be short. Who's lifetime by the way, yours or your vendors?

Possible they may mean the life time of your product? Warrantied to work until it's dead?!

Best regards
Erik

Hah! Many, many years ago I purchased Paintshop Pro from JASC Software - with a lifetime upgrade. Then it got sold to Corel - you know the rest..
 I also am a little irritated with the original team because at the time I came across Lightzone I was running a Win2000 machine and their then latest version required at least WinXP. I asked to purchase a license for the previous version but they declined.....  Granted Lightzone doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Lightroom, it still has some interesting features and seems to be a capable product which I quite like!
Erik Kaffehr

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:47:38 pm »

You know, life time can be short. Who's lifetime by the way, yours or your vendors?

Doesn't matter. We early adopters were given a promise that the company reneged upon. They lied. So in my book, they can piss off.

But to answer your question, and how it doesn't matter:

If my life ends, then I can assure you the day after I die, I will have no need to upgrade to the next promised version for free.
If they die, then presumably the effect could result in the company going out of business and I'm not going to get the next upgrade anyway.

The Lightzone boys made a promise they quickly revoked. While both I and them were alive. It says a lot about their behavior!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tonysx

Lightzone - new version available....
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 06:38:56 pm »

... for Windows and Linux.
http://lightzoneproject.org/

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 03:39:38 am »

I wish they supported IIQ files of Phase One. That would be news!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up