Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabling All Keyboard Shortcuts?  (Read 19797 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Disabling All Keyboard Shortcuts?
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:04:07 pm »

Is there a way to disable all keyboard shortcuts in Lightroom 4.X?  I'm using LR on OS X, if that matters.  I can't find anything definitive, one way or t'other, in the Adobe documentation or with a Google search.

I'm aware many (probably most) LR users consider keyboard shortcuts to be great time-savers.  No doubt someone will feel the urge to advise me that instead of fighting the program I ought to become accustomed to using it the way its designers intended.  All I can say in my own pitiful defense is that I'm an old dog who is perhaps too stubbornly averse to learning new tricks.  Or, if you prefer a slightly technical explanation, I've been running UNIX with a graphical user agent since the Sun BSD days and I have deeply-ingrained reflexes which keep whispering in my virtual ear that focus should follow mouse position without the need for clicking in a window or field—so the keyboard shortcuts are constantly tripping me up.

donbga

Re: Disabling All Keyboard Shortcuts?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »

So why ate you touching the key board while using LR?   :)

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »

So why are you touching the keyboard while using LR?   :)
Chris I have to agree with this.

Tony Jay

Chris Kern

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »

So why ate you touching the key board while using LR?   :)

To add alpha strings to metadata in Library module.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »

So you want to reinvent the wheel, simply because you don't want can't remember to make a *single* click in the metadata field before you start typing?  Yeah, um...never mind...I don't want  to be banned ;)

Chris Kern

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:36 am »

So you want to reinvent the wheel, simply because you don't want can't remember to make a *single* click in the metadata field before you start typing?

Actually, no.  I'm content if nothing happens when I start to type and focus isn't where I want it.  All the window managers I use except X unfortunately behave that way.*  I would just like to prevent the LR user agent from interpreting my attempts to type in a metadata field as a command (or sequence of commands) to change its behavior, if there's some way to accomplish that.  The alpha keys are overloaded in LR.  In some contexts, they are used to insert text, in others to modify the appearance of the user agent.  I haven't been able to discover a way to restrict them to the insert-text function, which I why I posted my query.  It occurred to me that perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the product than I am might know of a way to coax it into doing what I wanted—perhaps even an undocumented one.
---
*The X Window system can be configured so that focus follows the pointer.  Or not.  Top-window behavior can also be configured to follow focus.  Or not.  Moreover, these characteristics are independent of each other.  I believe offering the end-user this kind of configurability is The Right Thing to Do.  But that's a subject for a different discussion in a different forum.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 10:12:16 am »

It's a waste of time trying to customize Lightoom in this way. At most you could try hacking a copy of one of the main translation files and changing the control codes for the shortcuts, but I'm not sure that this method will work. Better to learn to appreciate the value of keyboard shortcuts....

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:47:49 am »

I generally use the keyboard shortcuts, but the OP has a point.  There's a strong divergence among people that like to use keyboard shortcuts, those that like mouse operations and those that like menu commands.  Often there are 2 or 3 ways of doing the same thing, and most people just learn the style they like. 

Also, it's quite clear that some people get very confused by accidentally using keyboard shortcuts they didn't know existed.  Look at all the cries for help especially on the http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom forum:  "Where's my toolbar gone?"  "Where have the menus gone?"  Personally, I don't have a problem with an option to selectively disable keyboard shortcuts, if Adobe find enough demand for it. 

donbga

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »

And then there is this:

https://sites.google.com/site/dorfl68/ 

Phill Adams

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 06:44:50 am »

Well actually there is and it's rather simple.

I have no idea whether it is unique to my system but let me explain. I have an alternative foreign language keyboard set up on my Windows 7 (64bit) operating system. To switch between english and greek  I must hit ALt & Shift together in unison. If I do this in Lightroom, & it is always by mistake, then all of the lightroom shortcuts are disabled.

All in all rather irritating for me but could be useful to you!

I hope this helps, it be interesting to hear if it works for you.

Kind regards

Chris Kern

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 06:09:36 pm »

Well actually there is and it's rather simple.

I have no idea whether it is unique to my system but let me explain. I have an alternative foreign language keyboard set up on my Windows 7 (64bit) operating system. To switch between english and greek  I must hit ALt & Shift together in unison. If I do this in Lightroom, & it is always by mistake, then all of the lightroom shortcuts are disabled.

The Thread that Came Back from the Dead.  (I'd insert a smiley here, but I don't like smileys, either.)

Anyway, that's a Microsoft-specific keyboard mapping command that is designed, as you point out, to allow the user to quickly toggle between two different languages.  Another kind of shortcut, if you will.  There are equivalent commands on OS X and for some Linux window managers, but this is happening at the system level, not in the application.  Presumably the fact that it disables the Lightroom shortcuts on your system is an unintended side-effect.  Just a conjecture, but maybe LR doesn't grok Greek.
Pages: [1]   Go Up