Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC?  (Read 1898 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC?
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »

Hi all. We are still not back in our home after Sandy ( no power yet). We are living at a friend's home, and I am forced to use an ancient notebook, 2 gb RAM, Windows XP. My files are huge (Pentax 645D, and D800E), and the notebook chokes trying to run these files through Photoshop. I can buy a new notebook with 8 gb RAM for about $650. I know I will have to deactivate PS on the old notebook. My CS 5 was an upgrade from CS3. Will I be able to install CS 5 upgrade if the earlier version is not on the new notebook? I have the disks for earlier versions at home, but they are also upgrades. The new PCs are running Windows 8. Any issues with 8 and PS? I also just bought Lightroom 4 ( not installed yet), but intend to install it on the new PC. I really hate changing PCs, as I have a bunch of down loaded plug ins, etc, that will need to be re- down load. Lastly: At home I use a calibrated and profiled monitor, using Spyder Pro, and my prints match my monitor. I will probably have to wait until I return home for serious tweaks before printing. My Spyder Pro DOES have a feature for notebooks....is this a waste of time? I know where profiles are installed on Win 7, but have no clue where they end up in 8. I may check the retailer if I can get Win 7 64 bit in lieu of Win 8 .
Thanks for the help.
Dave in NJ

kingscurate

Re: Installing CS 5 on new notebook PC?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

AFAIK as long as you have the SN of your ps versions, No  problems.
I aint a pro

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 03:21:18 pm »

Hi all. We are still not back in our home after Sandy ( no power yet). ...  My CS 5 was an upgrade from CS3. Will I be able to install CS 5 upgrade if the earlier version is not on the new notebook? ...
Dave,
Good to see you around and I am really sorry you are not back at your own abode yet.

I had a similar situation when I replaced my Mac desktop and installed CS5 on it when CS4 was still on the previous desktop. In my case, I believe, I only needed the Activation or Serial number from the previous edition in order to install the update, but that was on a Mac and I cannot speak to Windows. However, with most Adobe products you can use it for 30 days prior to needing a serial number, so that might get you through. As for Windows 7 or 8, I don't know if CS5 runs on 8, but personally, I would always stick with the latest software that came with the machine in lieu of stepping backward as I think you are in for less frustration. And, you can always do a search for the profiles.

Best of Luck and we hoping you are home soon.

Ed

BTW - the D800 is just chugging right along.
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »

I recently did a clean install of cs6 upgrade on a new computer build.  If I recall correctly, to complete activation I had to enter the serial I had for cs3 which also was an upgrade version.  I did not have to enter the serial for Photoshop 7, my original program.  BTW, my CS3 serial was previously registered with Adobe and visible in the appropriate page of my Adobe account.  I don't know if that makes a difference.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:31:51 am »

Thank you all. Off to Staples or Best Buy to check out laptops. I will also retrieve back copies of PS to get serial numbers.
Ed :  Happy the D800 is working out for you.
Happy New Year!
Dave in NJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up