Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mariner's Grave  (Read 867 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Mariner's Grave
« on: December 29, 2012, 11:40:27 am »

We actually stopped at an intersection, so I had a little more time to compose this shot. There were a lot of desecrated graves around that church with this the only intact headstone.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Mariner's Grave
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:24 am »

So what is it about this shot that makes it so uninteresting as to receive no comments? I'm curious because to me it meets all the elements and principles of a good photograph both technically and artisitically. To me, it is no less a good shot than a lot of stuff on here. I'm just being curious today...perhaps even a little pissy. No can learn without input...data, I need data!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »

I've looked at it several times now and don't know. It's certainly technically OK, nice play of lines w/o distortion taking you from the headstone to the tower, into the sky, the right toning but somehow I still can't "connect" to the picture. Only explanation I can come up with is that there are a lot of unconnected different texture areas in there. Maybe too much distraction from the main subject or so. Hope this little ramble helps, if not just forget it ;)

EDIT: afterthougt: did you try the same from a step to the left, so the background is essentially the same but the headstone slightly more off-center? That's probably how I would have taken a scene like this. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:41:41 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »

I actually cropped back to a more centered point as the extra space to the left hindered more than helped and more to the right led to a long low wall which was a kill shot. I think your point as to not connecting is something to contend with. I was just interested in the singularity of the one headstone being intact and then working the image into the background. Sometimes, I think I get too caught up in trying to make sure I have all the pieces and parts in the right place at the right time than working more toward an artisitic rendering. I am a work in progress.

Thanks for the input.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:50:13 am »

It's a pleasant snapshot, Chris.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up