Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loupe for Nikon D800E liveview  (Read 17810 times)

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Loupe for Nikon D800E liveview
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 04:16:55 pm »

If you are dealing with an 800/E, from the LCDVF web site:

"LCDVF 4N, specific to Nikon D800 and D800E cameras, utilizes slightly different mounting though - the metal frame is not glue-on but is housed in a plastic clip-on frame that attaches to the camera in the exact same way as it's original screen protector."

Hopefully it will work, please let us know...

RFPhotography

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »

Ah!  I hadn't seen that on their website.  It won't affect me as I made my own L bracket, but yes, now I can see how it might impact others.  I'm going to have to go back to their website to try and find that.

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:21 am »

I purchased an LCDVF loupe for my D800E and can say, Scott Oberle’s reservations are well justified. The use of a RRS L-Bracket does definitely interfere with the LCDVF’s frame which snaps onto the D800 in the same fashion as Nikon’s standard LCD protector. I solved the problem by cutting a piece of cardboard (min. 1.5 mm thick) slightly smaller than the base of the L-Bracket, adding a hole for the screw, and then fastening the L-Bracket (together with the cardboard spacer) to the D800 in its usual position. This helped to clear the small lip at the base of the LCDVF’s frame, allowing it to rest securely in place.  Interestingly enough, I never had such problems with the RRS L-Bracket in conjunction with Nikon’s standard LCD protector.  However...!

If you have poor vision and wear glasses, as I do, you might incur considerable problems with the LCDVF ‘4N’ (the version made specifically for the D800/E) because of its lack of dioptric correction. I have progressive corrective lenses which make it extremely difficult to use the loupe.  If I use my reading glasses, I have no problem at all. However, the ‘reading’ portion of my progressive glasses is at the bottom of the lenses (logically enough) which makes use of the loupe literally a neck-breaking affair! Just a small warning for potential buyers.

Best wishes,

Larry

P.S. I believe only the LCDVF '3C' (the version made for Canon's 5D MkIII and 1DX) offers a diopter correction option.

AFairley

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »

I'm not a big LV user, so the investment in a hood type loupe is not worth it for me, but I carry a 2.5x jewelers eye loupe in my bag.  With the thing screwed into your eye you can do magnified LV hand held as with the hoods, of course it does not provide anchor stability or glare shielding.  OTOH it's cheap.

RFPhotography

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 02:50:34 pm »

I purchased an LCDVF loupe for my D800E and can say, Scott Oberle’s reservations are well justified. The use of a RRS L-Bracket does definitely interfere with the LCDVF’s frame which snaps onto the D800 in the same fashion as Nikon’s standard LCD protector. I solved the problem by cutting a piece of cardboard (min. 1.5 mm thick) slightly smaller than the base of the L-Bracket, adding a hole for the screw, and then fastening the L-Bracket (together with the cardboard spacer) to the D800 in its usual position. This helped to clear the small lip at the base of the LCDVF’s frame, allowing it to rest securely in place.  Interestingly enough, I never had such problems with the RRS L-Bracket in conjunction with Nikon’s standard LCD protector.  However...!

If you have poor vision and wear glasses, as I do, you might incur considerable problems with the LCDVF ‘4N’ (the version made specifically for the D800/E) because of its lack of dioptric correction. I have progressive corrective lenses which make it extremely difficult to use the loupe.  If I use my reading glasses, I have no problem at all. However, the ‘reading’ portion of my progressive glasses is at the bottom of the lenses (logically enough) which makes use of the loupe literally a neck-breaking affair! Just a small warning for potential buyers.

Best wishes,

Larry

P.S. I believe only the LCDVF '3C' (the version made for Canon's 5D MkIII and 1DX) offers a diopter correction option.

I've ordered the 4n and expect it to be here in a few days.  I do wear glasses so am not thrilled about your comment regarding the viewfinder.  That said, I don't use the diopter correction in the regular Nikon viewfinder but maybe the magnification factor is the issue with the LCDVF?  If it doesn't work, it'll have to be returned.

As far as the RRS bracket, I'd think a piece of rubber adhered to the bottom leg of the bracket would be a more permanent solution than cardboard.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:52:40 pm by BobFisher »

RFPhotography

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »

Just received it and it'll have to go back.  Can't determine focus due to wearing glasses.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:18 pm »

Just received it and it'll have to go back.  Can't determine focus due to wearing glasses.
I use the 3inch Hoodman loop over two years now . I like it a lot. On the d800 it is not a problem at all and you can change the dioptric correction.
The only thing missing is a way to attach it to the body- in some cases (video) that would be very welcome. the optical performance is better than the viewfinder quality...
(i set the dioptric once and put a screw in so it stays put.)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 01:31:53 pm »

Sorry to hear that! I'll probably end up returning mine as well. I was wondering, however, if it would be possible to adapt the ‘3C’ version (which does have dioptric correction) for use with the D800/E. I’ve learned my lesson though, and next time I’ll make sure the loupe is ‘usable’ before ordering one!

Best wishes,

Larry

RFPhotography

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:36 pm »

I use the 3inch Hoodman loop over two years now . I like it a lot. On the d800 it is not a problem at all and you can change the dioptric correction.
The only thing missing is a way to attach it to the body- in some cases (video) that would be very welcome. the optical performance is better than the viewfinder quality...
(i set the dioptric once and put a screw in so it stays put.)

The thing I don't like about the Hoodman are the elastic straps that are used to affix it to the camera.  

I had to pay $40 in taxes when it arrived and the shipping will likely be about $50 so the refund won't be all that spiffy when it does come.

Scott O.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:51 am »

Here is my summary opinion regarding these things. I have decided to use both a Hoodman Hoodloupe and Zacuto Z-Finder...your experience may vary!

1. For use to check focus or anything else on the LCD when shooting outdoors, I use the Hoodman. Works extremely well if you do not mind holding it up. And when not in use hangs around my neck relatively out of the way.
2. When using LiveView or shooting movies, I use the Zacuto as it is hands-free. I use their stick-on mount rather than their erector set type attachment as I use a RRS L-bracket. The stick-on mount attaches to an LCD protector cover as this allows it to clear the buttons. To avoid problems with the L-bracket knocking the cover off I use a spacer between the camera and the L-bracket as several people on this forum suggested (thanks, great idea!).

Anyhow, no perfect solution. But currently this seems to be the best for me...

RFPhotography

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 08:36:59 am »

Scott, no problems with the plastic LCD protector and seeing critical focus?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 08:50:26 am »

Cambo  ( www.cambo.com)  has also a loupe in their video lineup.

It is attached to the dDSLR and has Schneider optics that enlarges the viewfinder.
I have looked through it and it is best loupe i have seen.
for the d800 the loupe is called CS-31 Loupe Set

It is ideal for video but has a price ( >300€)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RFPhotography

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 11:03:26 am »

That may well be the price of entry for something that works well.  

I saw the CS-31 on the Cambo website but can't find it for sale anywhere.  I'm also not sure that it can be mounted without the bottom bracket which takes up the tripod socket.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:09:08 am by BobFisher »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:45 am »

Yeah it looks like Cambo solved the tripod plate problem by integrating their own tripod plate. Not really a solution for L-Bracket users.

I got my LCDVF 4N and I'm pretty annoyed to find out that it's not actually a 3.2" loupe - it's the same 3" loupe they sell as the LCDVF, they only difference is that mounting frame is raised enough to let you see the 3.2" screen. Which means I didn't need to buy another loupe, I just needed the mounting adapter (which they don't sell separately at the moment). Looking again at the product page I see now that it doesn't explicitly state the loupe is larger, but it sure doesn't make it clear that it's the same loupe.

I was actually able to get the mounting adapter installed with my RRS l-bracket, although the extra pressure on the bottom of the adapter causes a small gap between the adapter and the camera at the top so I guess some rubber or something between camera and l-bracket would help. But I'm not exactly thrilled with the mounting adapter because it somewhat obscures the screen edges when not using the loupe. Guess I'm probably gonna send it back, I can just use my existing LCDVF and hold it up to the screen with my hand.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Scott O.

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 11:25:46 am »

Actually, I did use the Zacuto on the stock Nikon LCD protector. It worked very well, but made every imperfection and piece of dirt on the thing really stand out! I will now try attaching the Zacuto via the stick-on mount to the GGS III LCD screen protector. I did have to put a spacer between the camera and the L-bracket as has been discussed previously. I haven't used this setup yet and my only concern is whether the GGS attaches firmly enough to allow the Zacuto to be put off and on. We'll see!

RFPhotography

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:36 am »

I wonder if the adhesive bracket for the 3.2" Z-Finder could be cut away a bit with an exacto knife or something similar to make it fit around the dial.

I just sent a bunch of questions to Zacuto.  The responded very quickly and said that the 3.2" is the same finder as for all the others, it's just the frame that's bigger.  So no difference there from the Kinotehnik.  Kinotehnik hasn't responded to my RMA request yet.  Zacuto also said that there is a tripod socket on the bottom of their Gorilla bracket so you're still able to mount the camera on a tripod or a rig.  Is that also the case with the Cambo, I wonder?  Zacuto also has a bracket extender for using with a battery grip.  At a princely $105. 

Scott O.

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »

Bob, what you say is true re: the Gorilla Bracket. But when used with an L-bracket, you have junk hanging all over the place. The direct attachment to the LCD is preferred. But, if you look closely, there is a small ridge at the top and bottom of the Nikon LCD screen. Guess what affect that has on the stick-on attachment! Right you are...it sacrifices strength. I used it this way at first (even filed down the plastic attachment bracket so it cleared the large button) but it wasn't strong enough. And you do get to see the entire LCD with the 3.2" bracket, doesn't matter that the Zacuto is really 3.0". By the way, if you want to buy a Zacuto, I have one for sale in the "For Sale" section. It belonged to my wife, who used it once (so it is in new condition) and decided she would rather have a Hoodman.

RFPhotography

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:23 pm »

I can see that being a problem, Scott.  I wouldn't be looking to use an L-bracket and the loupe together so not a problem for me.  I am aware of that small lip on the LCD.  Didn't know if it would impact the frame or not.  I use mine with a grip all the time and not sure I want to pay the $105 for the extension.  May have to keep looking.

dwswager

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 10:37:08 am »

I know this thread is old, with respect to the Kinotehnik LCDVF 4N on the Nikon D810 with an RRS L Plate BD-810L, is the issue that it cannot be attached/detached with the L-plate installed or that it is too big on the bottom edge to fit with the L-Plate unless you put some sort of spacer in between the camera body and the L-plate?

I have the $20 wing nut screw and so loosening the L-Plate to put it on and off is less onerous than hunting down an allen key.

I'm still debating between a Hoodman Compact and something more permanently attached.  I shoot a lot in low light  and at night were I don't really NEED a hood, but there are times.

Also, I will recommend the DK-17M 1.2X viewfinder magnifier in combination with the Nikon DK-19 Eye Cup.  As an old fart, viewfinder use dies hard and I find sometimes I use a combination live view and viewfinder.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up