Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung NX-20 vs. Sony NEX-6 vs. ________ ?  (Read 3613 times)

Anthony-SF

Samsung NX-20 vs. Sony NEX-6 vs. ________ ?
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:59:24 pm »

I'm an avid hiker, and I always have a camera along to photograph the beautiful California landscapes I visit.  I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from my Panasonic LX-2 over the years, but now I want to move up to a camera with a larger sensor, mostly likely APS-C. I don't want to carry around a bulky SLR, so I'm shopping in the “mirrorless” category. The two cameras I'm considering now are the Samsung NX-20 and the Sony NEX-6.

My subject matter is nearly 100% landscapes (although I hope to also do more architectural photography in the year ahead). So most of the time the lens is zoomed out to its widest, and the focus is on infinity. For me, low-light or fast-action capabilities aren't relevant, nor are flash performance or video features. The camera I select will probably wear a 16mm lens (24mm equivalent), or else a wide-angle zoom.

With this in mind, would anyone like to weigh in on which would be the better choice – Samsung or Sony?  Or is there some other camera out there that might surpass them both?? (within the parameters of compact size and approximately $1000 to budget for the camera and first lens)   

Thanks!

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Re: Samsung NX-20 vs. Sony NEX-6 vs. ________ ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:41:12 am »

Add the Canon EOS-M to your list. Compared to the Sony NEX-6 it is smaller in all dimensions and has an 18 megapixel APS-C sensor. I own this camera and the image quality continues to amaze me.
Gerald J Skrocki

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:02:52 am »

Samsung 16mm lens appears to be a bit better than Sony 16mm (except distortion).
In other terms NEX is better.

AlexRobinson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:50 am »

Samsung performs well at low to mid ISO settings. Colours are also quite different to Sony too. I've been shooting an NX200 the last year (same sensor as the NX20) and generally it's been a positive experience. It's not a camera for spray and pray photographers though, slowish write times and some lockup of controls between frames. However the lenses are good (20 and 30mm primes are beautiful) and the kit zooms seem to do a decent job. 85mm 1.4 is also fun but weird on a CSC. I'll be sticking with Samsung if the new 12-24mm is any good, the 16 is OK but nothing to write home about due to field curvature, I wouldn't pay close to full retail for one—that said it's better than Sony's dud.

I guess the NX20 wins if you want something closely approximating an SLR in design and handling whilst being smaller and the Samsung prime lenses are cheaper too. Having said all that the NEX 6 feels pretty amazing for something so small, it's certainly been tempting me lately!
Pages: [1]   Go Up