Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standing in the Shade, Waiting for the Bus  (Read 6551 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Standing in the Shade, Waiting for the Bus
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:55 am »

mac_paolo

So, post something of your own, taken from the back of a horse drawn carriage where the light and density of population is changing constantly and you're shooting for the best of all worlds rather than narrowing it down to a precious few "perfect" shots. Post something of your own, period, because I can't seem to find anything posted from you, at least in a photographic sense. I learn from those who can show me, not those who have an extra three cents in their critique bag but nothing to show example toward. It was three quick frames, two of which simply weren't usable because she was flicking that stick about.

For a "street shot" and that's what it is, it is pretty well exposed and composed. I went from that shot to this shot

in less than ten seconds and while I like the shot, it has more problems than I have time to fix at this point. There was a lot to shoot. The hat man came around a corner and gave me a two shot opportunity before he disappeared into a maze of other street vendors. For me, it's making the best of what's served to you. Others may feel differently but for the most part they offer constructive criticism by example.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

mac_paolo

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 09:27:30 am »

So, post something of your own, taken from the back of a horse drawn carriage where the light and density of population is changing constantly and you're shooting for the best of all worlds rather than narrowing it down to a precious few "perfect" shots.
That's exactly why I've got 200 photos publicly available on my Flickr account while almost none on forums; or why I weekly project some in front of real people.
Some people tend to get it personally. -I- don't like your photos = -YOU-'ve got wrong/-YOU-'re not skilled enough.
No, I won't play you're (puerile) game. Too old for it. I'll let this provocation end here.

Others may feel differently but for the most part they offer constructive criticism by example.
I did, with technical data and photographic arguments. You just didn't like them.
Peace. :)

Paolo

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:00 am »

Well, let's see four or five of the 200 in a street shot genre. I know I am not skilled enough in a lot of areas but until you show me you are much better, I'll trust you'll make no further comments on my work.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

So…? :)

So, he was in the back of a horse carriage and there were more important duties to hand than just snaps of folks awaiting busses. That he got what he got is quite enough, I'd have thought; clearly, you know something I don't so I won't argue or disturb your peace.

Ciao -

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:39:04 am by Rob C »

amolitor

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 07:34:47 am »

We can judge a work on its merits, and really it's not fair to do otherwise. We don't have to be jerks about it, of course, but just because circumstances were difficult does not make the work any better.

The closely allied thing we should avoid is judging a work based on what we think it ought to be. I frequently see, on the internet, critique that boils down to something like 'this candid is a very poor portrait' and 'that portrait is a very poor landscape'. We need to judge a photo based on its own merits, and how well it succeeds at being what it is.

I quite like all the variants of the girl that have been posted here, interestingly. This is, basically, because I like the girl, and she is an ornament to whatever framing you drop her in to.

mac_paolo

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 08:51:38 am »

clearly, you know something I don't so I won't argue or disturb your peace.
What an pointless inspiring comment.
Arrivederci Rob. ;)

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »

What an pointless inspiring comment.
Arrivederci Rob. ;)

There you are! A fraction of a second's thought and you saw the light!

Ciao - tanti auguri per 2013.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up