Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using NEC Spectra Sensor Pro to calibrate other brand's monitors ?  (Read 5323 times)

MartinG

Hi everyone!

I have a NEC PA241W monitor here that we have bought as a package with the NEC SpectraSensor Pro calibration tool. Since it looks to be exactly the same thing as the X-Rite i1 Display Pro, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can calibrate other brand's monitors (and laptops) with the NEC tool ? We have Asus PA238Q monitors on other computers and would like to get them calibrated to be as the NEC (or close). The NEC seems pretty much spot-on when comparing prints, but the Asus look very purple-ish. I would also like to calibrate my laptop's screen for when it's needed.

I have searched forums and have tried with the NEC software and the X-Rite software without success. The X-Rite software doesn't detect my NEC sensor, and the NEC software doesn't seem to let me select any other monitor than the NEC. I can't find info in the owners manuals either.

Is there a work-around to this ? If yes, anyone knows how ? I was just about to buy an X-Rite i1 Display Pro, but if I can save this it would be great.

Thanks again for your answers,

Martin

Johnny_Boy

Re: Using NEC Spectra Sensor Pro to calibrate other brand's monitors ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:59:21 am »

I have the same setup, but the calibrator does not seem to work well on other monitors. Many of them have some kind of tint once done calibrated. As you noted, you cannot use NEC software to select non-NEC monitors. You can se x-rite software to do it, but it does not calibrate correctly. I have a feeling that the NEC calibration software is compensating for the pinkish tint?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 05:33:58 am »

Use ArgyllCMS with dispcalGUI. Or buy basICColor display.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 11:09:28 am »

IF the 3rd party software detects the instrument, then a cast or similar issue is due to either the calibration target settings OR an older instrument that doesn't play nice with wide gamut displays. In theory, if you have controls to alter x/y values or similar, you should be able to adjust magenta cast.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ROBERTPJ

Re: Using NEC Spectra Sensor Pro
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:21:14 am »

Bought the NEC PA241 last night. The Sensor is in the box....with no instructions!!

Can anyone enlighten me, or direct me to a site with an instruction manual?

Thank you.

Bob

MartinG

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:50 am »

Thanks for your input. I have used ArgyllCMS and DispCal which worked with the NEC sensor on the ASUS monitor, but since I couldn't match both screens as I would have liked, I just decided to leave the ASUS monitor to factory calibration and put all the Photoshop tools on this one. The NEC monitor will be used to display the images.

I have bought an X-Rite i1 display pro for my home setup and it is great.

To ROBERTPJ, if you install the NEC software included with the device, it will give you all the instructions on how to use it. I did not look for an instructions manual but you would probably find it on NEC's website. The calibration process is easy and once you've entered your settings, plugged and placed the sensor as asked on screen, click "start calibration" and it's going to calibrate itself. You just have to select and save you profile at the end and you're pretty much set.

Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up