Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iT8 calibration target for Kodachrome slides  (Read 4927 times)

rbwelch48

iT8 calibration target for Kodachrome slides
« on: December 22, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

I'm a newbie to the site.  I planned to scan a large collection of Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides for archive.  I have Silverfast 8 Archive Studio
and a Nikon 5000 Scanner.  I waited way to long to get started and now find that Silverfast no longer have the Kodachrome calibration target.  Does anyone
know where I might find one?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: iT8 calibration target for Kodachrome slides
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 02:03:06 pm »

Nikon scanners were made to quite a high degree of uniformity. so before getting too concerned about the unavailability of a Kodachrome target for Auto-IT8 profiling, you should try using the canned Kodachrome profile for that scanner which comes bundled with your version of SilverFast 8. In fact, when you select "Kodachrome" in the second from the left "icon" of the media selection panel, the colour management preferences should automatically load the correct profile. You can verify this by going to Preferences>CMS>Profiles>Input ("Input" is SilverFastese for "Scanner Profile"), where the scanner profile <SFProfK(LS-5000 ED).icc> should show. If it doesn't, select it from the list (appears when you click on the pane) and try using it to see what quality scan you get from your Kodachrome slides.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rbwelch48

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 02:28:30 pm »

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  I sort of thought there was a built in profile in version 8, but
I had a hard time figuring out if the target was required. :)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 04:50:32 pm »

You only need a target to make your own custom profiles. But if the canned profile works well enough, you needn't bother. As well, if you find the canned profile is systematically "off" in ways you can see and are always the same, you can develop a set of corrections using SilverFast image editing tools and save them as a frame preset to apply to every Kodachrome before scanning it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up