Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heliopan Digital Glass Filter  (Read 5269 times)

kphelan

Heliopan Digital Glass Filter
« on: June 01, 2005, 11:58:18 am »

I was browsing the B&H catalog in search of a UV filter to be used on a Canon 1Ds2, for photographing on the ocean.  I use a Canon zoom lens and want to protect it from sea spray.

I found what I thought I wanted, the Heliopan MRC UV filter, but also noticed their "Digital Glass Filter".  The B&H description for this filter says: "This filter has been specially designed for digital cameras. It blocks ultra-violet radiation as well as IR rays. The result is improved color separation and reproduction with digital cameras. It is a necessity with artificial light for best digital results."

Blocking UV and IR is a big deal when photographing regattas on the Atlantic.  Even the sunniest of days can present much haze and water borne glare.  In theory this filter looks like it could add something, but from what little I can glean from Google searches, the few posts I can find said that this filter is not needed as it duplicates the IR filter in front of the CMOS sensor.

True?  Not true?  Has anybody used this filter?  Thanks much.

---Kent Phelan

alanscape

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:36:48 am »

Quote from: kphelan
I was browsing the B&H catalog in search of a UV filter to be used on a Canon 1Ds2, for photographing on the ocean.  I use a Canon zoom lens and want to protect it from sea spray.

I found what I thought I wanted, the Heliopan MRC UV filter, but also noticed their "Digital Glass Filter".  The B&H description for this filter says: "This filter has been specially designed for digital cameras. It blocks ultra-violet radiation as well as IR rays. The result is improved color separation and reproduction with digital cameras. It is a necessity with artificial light for best digital results."

Blocking UV and IR is a big deal when photographing regattas on the Atlantic.  Even the sunniest of days can present much haze and water borne glare.  In theory this filter looks like it could add something, but from what little I can glean from Google searches, the few posts I can find said that this filter is not needed as it duplicates the IR filter in front of the CMOS sensor.

True?  Not true?  Has anybody used this filter?  Thanks much.

---Kent Phelan

IMO filters don't come much better... I can't afford Heliopan for all my lenses but if I could I would. I use HOYA SHMC which are a nightmare to clean as opposed to B+W and Heliopan... go for the Heliopan, in your photographic situation it'll clean up beautifully.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:10:49 am »

The filter scheme is here (in german): http://www.heliopan.de/produkte/digital-video.shtml
To view the official german price list click on the blue button namend "PG2a".
Pages: [1]   Go Up