Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Hot Press Bright Rolls- D-Roller Problems  (Read 4172 times)

HowieShultz

Epson Hot Press Bright Rolls- D-Roller Problems
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:15:25 am »

I am a newbie and just bought a roll of Epson Hot Press Bright 17x50 and a D-roller.  I'm printing with an Epson 4900.  My prints come out with a slight curl which I expected.  When I use the D-roller the paper just curls in the opposite direction even if I leave it rolled up for literally just a second.    I've watch the video that Michael has here on LL as well as another youtube video and I seem to be following the methods correctly that are shown in these videos.  So the print is facing up etc.  I have tried using less tension, less time rolled up, more time rolled up and still there is a curl in the opposite directions.    After seeing the curl in the opposite direction I have even flipped the print over to see if I could correct it and it just seems to start making waves in the print.  So any suggestions for correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated.   

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Epson Hot Press Bright Rolls- D-Roller Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:09:01 am »

I don't have a D-roller or know the ins and outs about it, but after the initial roll of it, try laying the print flat and leave it for a while. The tension from the reverse rolling may settle itself.  Maybe someone with more experience with the D-roller will chime in.
Mike Guilbault

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

HowieShultz

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:06:39 am »

thanks for your help.  In regards to the iron it looks like there is a limit to the size of the rolls you can put in it?  I guess for large prints you can not iron part of the print one time and then the rest of the print a second time?

JWest1026

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:00:16 am »

I hang my Epson Hot Press Bright roll prints to dry for 24 hours, give or take, and find the the curl usually comes out during that time unless it's near the end of the roll which has more curl. As for the D-Roller, did you buy the 2" or 3" version? I have the 3" version and usually find that a quick roll/unroll and this paper typically flattens out pretty good. The 2" version is typically used for tougher papers to uncurl such as those printed on semiglossy/luster photo paper and I'm sure would more easily produce the reverse curl you describe.
Regards,
Jim

JWest1026

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:01:06 am »

Hi Howie,
   It looks like I was incorrect in my initial response regarding the 2 D-Roller core sizes. I checked a couple of suppliers and they only sell a 1.5" version in either 24" or 50" width. I bought mine a number of years ago and I recollect there being 2 options as to the core size but I may have been wrong about that. In any event Epson Hot Press paper does seem to flatten out pretty easily if you hang it or lay it flat for a day or so.
   Sorry about the initial incorrect information.
Jim

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:00:06 pm »

thanks for your help.  In regards to the iron it looks like there is a limit to the size of the rolls you can put in it?  I guess for large prints you can not iron part of the print one time and then the rest of the print a second time?

The press I have is 25x13", and yes, you can iron a part of larger print and then the rest of it. You can try with normal iron and ironing board if it works well with Hot Press.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

HowieShultz

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 04:17:07 pm »

Jim...no worries....I appreciate you trying to help me out.  The one I ought was the 50" by 1.5".   When you hang your photos how do you do that?....I have an image in my head of using clothes pins on a line but figure you are doing something a lot different than that.                         

Thanks for your help.

Howie

JWest1026

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:23:22 pm »

Your image of the clothesline is correct. This, of course, wouldn't work very well if I was doing a significant volume of print work but works Ok for my needs. I should mention that now with the winter weather and lower humidity my Epson prints don't uncurl as readily as they do during the higher humidity days of summer. A quick application with my D-Roller seems to do the trick. Once the print lays flat for a few minutes any reverse curl due to the D-Roller application seems to flatten out fine.
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up