Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How are you handling your tear sheets?  (Read 6558 times)

Graham Mitchell

How are you handling your tear sheets?
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

I'm just wondering how everyone is handling their tear sheets. Are you showing physical pages cut from magazines? Or photos of those magazine pages? Or maybe even a PDF of the magazine artwork of the page(s), or perhaps something else?

I'd be pretty reluctant to send out physical pages from the magazine. That stuff is irreplaceable.

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
Re: How are you handling your tear sheets?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »

While I am no Mario Testino I have been published thousands of times in features and ads and such in magazines and big company websites. Some in multiple editions, multiple languages. Then I have had giant ad banners in gyms to billboards in Eastern Europe. It was pretty exciting to see my work in like eight magazines, more or less, at a big book store in the same month, and month after month after month.

Anyway keeping all of that around in printed form became overwhelming. Some of my favorites I have torn out multiple copies just to have around, as well as a few copies of my favorite entire magazine features. Many I have as pdf's, scanned, screen saved. I have enough to where I could send out actual copies or print some from the files.

What I have learned is that it appears that art directors, publishers and others are just as happy to see my work on my website. I have a few "tear sheets" up along with my other photographs. Just Tuesday, by example, I had a national magazine contact me about shooting a feature based on the work on my website. Based on that alone they say they are convinced that I am the guy to shoot this for them.

That is just my experience at the moment so far :)

Attached is a "tear sheet" from New Zealand Fitness that I always just kind of like. It was fun because it was so different from the usual bodybuilder features. I don't even know if I have a copy of the magazine but they sent me the pdf's which are much more useful.

Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:26:35 pm »

Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to hear from a few other people as well.

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

PDF or Jpg, in the past I would always just show the page/pages or cover where my image was used.

Lately I have been using the edited image more and more.

I just like knowing that my images are shown exactly the way that I intend (crop/edit) rather that the way an art director selected edited and layed out the page.

But I think you need to show published work in order to be taken seriously. Too many people with a camera out there, claiming to be professional.

www.giorgioniro.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:49:45 am »

I'm lucky in that I work on staff with the designers who use my photographs. When I see a nice cover or inside spread, I ask for the PDF, and use that in my portfolio. That way it includes any type treatment.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:29:36 am »

PDF for all of my stuff.
Its just not feasible to collect all the printed work especially when it goes to foreign markets.
Rob

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:29:32 am »

PDF all the way. I upload them to the media section on my website and just direct clients to them. Keep the physical copies for my own archive. As you say, they are irreplaceable.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:35:12 am »

ok, so it seems PDF is popular, which is not surprising, but what surprises me is that the magazines supply you with them. I tend to never hear from a magazine again as soon as they've got what they want.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 05:37:07 am »

ok, so it seems PDF is popular, which is not surprising, but what surprises me is that the magazines supply you with them. I tend to never hear from a magazine again as soon as they've got what they want.

Agreed - often they don't supply them. In that instance just scan it and make your own.  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Kerry L

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:23:07 am »

Agreed - often they don't supply them. In that instance just scan it and make your own.  ;D

+1,

For me, much of my work is images for large exhibits, on websites and in large technical publications. I reproduce images of the pages and include an inset of the cover, especially when an image is a 2 page spread. With exhibits, I try to get photographs of the final project in use at a show, which adds a bit to the cachet. I do screen grabs of websites and again do an inset of the company home page.

All this makes it possible to make a nice tight professional looking presentation.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 02:42:05 am »

What magazines are you not hearing back from?
Best thing is to touch base with the art department when delivering the files.
It's really easy for them to deliver the PDF.

You can also scan the tear sheets. Best to do so with black paper behind the page so as not to get the print on the back of what you are scanning showing through.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 02:47:11 am »

+1
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 04:06:12 am »

You may be able to add provision of artwork as part of your T+C

Say you were doing a $1000 shoot you could do this..

Shoot Fee $1100,
Discount for provision of artworks $100
Total $1000

Which does give some incentive!

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:39:25 am »

Hi Graham,

I make a contact sheet of my tearsheets in photoshop. Then I make 11 x14s and both them in the back of my portfolio.  It's best to show editors covers, full bleed or double truck images.  If the image is 1/2 a page or less, I wouldn't brother.

Also it's important to separate your "Editorial tear sheets"  from your "Commerical or Advertising tear sheets"

Here are frame grabs.  Not hi res from my website.

Have a good shoot!
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:29 pm »

One thing - to me a web page is a tear sheet more and more.

I just screen grab that. http://www.sammorganmoore.com/latest/fourth-element-winter-2011-2

Mostly - and it is terrible practice, but with a physical tear often I just grab it with my Iphone!

http://www.sammorganmoore.com/cuttings

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up