Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140669 times)

madmanchan

• Web
Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »

Since Lightroom uses an instruction-based (parameter-based) model for image editing, we have to be very careful about adding new knobs or changing existing knobs.  Each addition or change has important implications for rendering compatibility down the road.  It's much easier for us to add something, than to remove something later that we (mistakenly) added. 
Eric Chan

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2013, 09:37:32 pm »

I don't have enough time to see if it's been suggested already but i'd like to se LR5 only save 2 or 3 of the Catalog backups. Currently it saves them all.

This is a perfect "feature" for an application like Hazel on the Mac  ;)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2013, 10:25:19 pm »

Last time I was there, Scotland was still part of the UK. I mean, I know there are some that would like to make the brake (kinda like Montreal or Northern California) but it hasn't happened yet, right?
There's definitely a separatist faction of sorts. But the Kingdom is still United.  :)
Though not sure why you though I was implying anything to do with that by saying a popular Scottish word is used elsewhere in UK. As there are lots of words that are very region specific still being used in the UK. I didn't know the more Scottish synonym, glaikit that Stamper mentioned and my builder who has a really strong local accent is often coming out with words I've never heard before. Despite my living up North for many years.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2013, 11:40:06 pm »

I went from digital compact camera to my first DSLR. I would claim that there are some fundamental differences in how they work and how they interface with the user
The concept is exactly the same, even if the buttons/layout differ. It's a camera, it takes photos, you understand what it does.
Using Photoshop to you seems to be the same as using a 35mm film camera without knowing anything at all about photography/cameras and getting annoyed it cannot produce something tangible in a couple of hours.

Do you have any references that "they realised it didn't work very well"? In what way does this refute my point?
The fact they changed it so drastically, despite an enormous user base than was very, very used to the old paradigm tells you they knew the old way wasn't working. MS were quite open about why it needed to change. You basically said that Word was able to dominate by very easy to use and if that was indeed the case they wouldn't have changed it. I hated Word myself as it was so faffy and fiddly.

Even programs for experts may benefit from user-friendliness.
And they may well be user friendly to experts, who usually have very different requirements to non-experts like yourself.

I have never used that application. I think it is great that Adobe has _some_ competition, though.
iPhoto is not competition for Photoshop. Very, very different end users in mind.

I believe that it is this balancing act that gets in the way of embracing the platform.
I work on a Mac and on PCs and Creative Suite seems pretty native on each, no less so than single platform programmes I'd say. Macs and PC are not really that different when it comes to basics of how things work and have become more similar over time by copying each other.

I have never met a person who use the "smart TV" functionality.
And I can't think of anyone I know who watches 3D tv as it happens, I wouldn't be so daft as to claim nobody uses it though.

Heres a secret: sometimes manufacturers miss their market, and spend R&D money on something that noone wants.Feature-creep often affects the general usability, speed and security of a product.
Not a secret that manufacturers get it wrong at times, but what people usually mean by feature creep/bloat is the very selfish "they are adding things I don't want".

"Audiophile" gear is usually for simple minds that believe in homeopathy and the like.
Or people with good hearing and who appreciate music. I can tell the difference between bad/decent/good kit as can many people I know and none of us believe in homeopathy, most of us being scientists. Those who dismiss that such differences are basically poor of hearing and cannot accept others are more capable in that area. That doesn't mean I necessarily believe £500 a metre cable is worth it over £10 a metre cable. But it quite surprising what a big difference decent cables can make over crappy cheap ones - not with digital signals I should point out.

Did you read the thread title? "What are you wishing for in LR5 ?" Perhaps you thought that it read "What are you wishing for in LR5/CS7 ?
Your English comprehension is as poor as your computer skills. I stated that part of what you were asking for was already there in CS6/LR4 and indeed has been since the beginning IIRC. Yes you have to open files into PS to do those tasks, but that is because they are PS fuctions and not LR abilities. There are different tools [bitmap Vs parametric editing] which excel in different areas. But they work very well together. As I can for example, open up multiple images into layers in PS and the work subsequently done in PS then seamlessly appears in the LR library.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2013, 01:07:01 pm »

How about a simple Envoke backup NOW!!
Yes, good idea - and why not directly zip the backups?
It saves about 90% space.

In the same Backup dpt., would it be possible to have the 2nd copy on import to mirror the folder structure created in the catalogue? that would make a data reconstruction from that backup much easier.

I want one just like it labeled "Remove Diffraction Effects, Completely".
I'd say that such an adaptative deconvolution based on fstop, in addition to the capture sharpening, has already been asked, but I'd second it nonetheless.
Doesn't DxO Optics Pro already do that?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

hjulenissen

« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30:36 pm »

Or people with good hearing and who appreciate music. I can tell the difference between bad/decent/good kit as can many people I know and none of us believe in homeopathy, most of us being scientists. Those who dismiss that such differences are basically poor of hearing and cannot accept others are more capable in that area. That doesn't mean I necessarily believe £500 a metre cable is worth it over £10 a metre cable. But it quite surprising what a big difference decent cables can make over crappy cheap ones - not with digital signals I should point out.
If by decent cables you mean the kind of cables sold by the hifi industry, this would place you squarely into the "homeopathy" group. Anyone with any experience in audibility, double-blind listening tests, basically audio science tends to be highly sceptical about hifi cables. If by decent you mean "follow basic engineering principles as known for 50 or 100 years", then of course, you are right. But those cables tends to cost pennies. Electronic engineering does apply to digital cables as well, by the way.

Claims are cheap ("you have bad hearing, I have golden ears"). Passing an ABX test with p>0.95 is really hard (anything not passing such tests belongs to the homeopathy group of "may or may not be plausible, but has so far evaded proof").

-h
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:48:54 pm by hjulenissen »

hjulenissen

« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2013, 04:31:57 pm »

Taking some quotes out of context really doesn't help your case.
Falsely claiming that quotes are out of context doesnt help your case either. If you have a problem with my quotes, why don't you point to specific cases?
Your English comprehension is as poor as your computer skills.
And numpty is indeed the perfect word to sum you up.
If hammering at your keyboard like this makes a small man feel a little larger, then I guess _something_ came out of our discussion rather than wasted time.

-h
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:35:24 am by hjulenissen »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #347 on: May 09, 2013, 08:37:52 am »

Probably too late for the new LR, but it would be useful to be able to turn cropping off for all thumbnails. Any cropping would be retained, just not shown in the thumbs. Sometimes I want to browse my thumbs and see the full frame images.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »

What I'm really wishing for in LR5 is a stand-alone, non-cloud product. And that's what I'm mainly hoping for in LR6, LR7, and LR8.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

PeterAit

« Reply #349 on: May 11, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »

And, the abiliity to "print" to a PDF. Yo, Adobe, you are the PDF people, what do you say?

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #350 on: May 11, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »

And, the abiliity to "print" to a PDF. Yo, Adobe, you are the PDF people, what do you say?

I assume you're speaking of Windows?  Because on OS X it's built into the OS.  ANYTHNG you can print, you can print to PDF via the print dialog.  It's been this way for 12 years now.

dreed

« Reply #351 on: May 12, 2013, 06:55:44 am »

If you're on Windows, install an application called "PrimoPDF":
http://www.primopdf.com/

PeterAit

« Reply #352 on: May 12, 2013, 08:22:21 am »

Thanks for the ideas.

jjj

« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2013, 12:14:15 pm »

If hammering at your keyboard like this makes a small man feel a little larger, then I guess _something_ came out of our discussion rather than wasted time.

-h

Candidate for least aware post of the month.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2013, 10:48:42 pm »

Note to jjj & hjulenissen

Perhaps you might take your sparring elsewhere?

jjj

« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:42 am »

I had given up on the thread a while back, but came across hjulinissen latest rant, so simply pointed out the hypocrisy.
People like hjulinisen is why I have mostly given up on internet forums.

StephaneB

• http://www.lumieredargent.com
« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2013, 09:27:52 am »

Well, since Adobe tells us now that PhotoShop was never intended for photographers, while LightRoom was always intended for photographers*, I see no reason why LightRoom only catalogs PhotoShop files and not files from PaintShop Pro, PhotoLine, Pixelmator and other photo editors.

So, that would be my biggest wish: to have LightRoom act as an agnostic photo cataloger.

I know it catalogs JPEGs and TIFs, but not files from other editors with layers and so on.

* I find the former an insult to our intelligence, while I do believe the latter.

Stéphane  [url=http://www.lumieredargen

PeterAit

« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2013, 10:12:06 am »

Saying that PS was never intended for photographers is such BS. How many years did PS exist before LR came on the scene? And yes, LR should definitely support files from non-Adobe apps. I don't use any such, but as you say, they need to support as many formats as possible for maximum success.

Drazick

« Reply #358 on: July 26, 2013, 10:31:09 am »

I would be happy if you opened the processing procedure for Plug In's.
Let people offer alternatives for NR, Demosaicing, Tonality Adjustments, etc...

SunnyUK

« Reply #359 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:43 am »

Saying that PS was never intended for photographers is such BS. How many years did PS exist before LR came on the scene? And yes, LR should definitely support files from non-Adobe apps. I don't use any such, but as you say, they need to support as many formats as possible for maximum success.

They *need* to spend their development resources on stuff that makes more people buy their wares. Same as any other software developer. They might have determined (rightly or wrongly) that the market for a catalogue-and-powerful-editor-and-print-and-web-and-... tool targeted at people who use their competitors' editor-and-print-and-web-and... tools is likely to not sell in huge quantities.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up