Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140219 times)

mac_paolo

Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #220 on: February 25, 2013, 04:26:23 am »

In order to use layers, Adobe should release a new DNG specification update with the option to embed several Raw files in a single DNG. Is it a DNG anymore if several different shots are grouped together?

Let's say you only add layers with local adjustments for a single DNG. Can't you just stack adjustments one onto another?
Sure, layers with names may ease the work while managing a huge number of adjustments but, is it worth it?
I can't tell.

hjulenissen

« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2013, 04:37:35 am »

Layers. If LR had them then it would be less of a selling point for PS. This is what the members who have a wish list don't get. The more you get in LR then the less likely they will buy PS. :)
Perhaps. But LR have to compete with other photography-oriented tools. It seems that many people will continue using Photoshop no matter what LR offers, perhaps because of its inherent flexibility, or because they have gotten used to doing things a certain way.

I really like the idea of LR being "anti-photoshop". I think it is an interesting exercise to ponder what features would make sense to include in LR without it loosing its "soul".

I, for one, use LR almost exclusively as a photography library and a photography editor/printer. I think that the photobook/web/map/slideshow/video stuff are a mild nuissance due to generally being to rigid and inflexible. If I need to put 2 images into one jpeg file, I will generally use Microsoft Paint as I find that more flexible than LR4...

I really hope that LR5 will get the ability to combine several images into one (HDR, pano, blending).

-h

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:09 am »

This is what the members who have a wish list don't get. The more you get in LR then the less likely they will buy PS. :)
I think most people understand that, but it doesn't stop them asking for it.

It may be that at some future point Adobe will take notice and implement some sort of layers feature, but I strongly suspect that it will be difficult technically and conceptually.
Maybe it could be added as a 'merge' module, that would cover simple comping, panoramas and HDR in one module.
I won't hold my breath though.

stamper

« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:08 am »

There is the problem of bloat. The more layers that are added then the more resources are used?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »

One thing I could think of is that it could hurt PS sales.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »

I really like the idea of LR being "anti-photoshop". I think it is an interesting exercise to ponder what features would make sense to include in LR without it loosing its "soul".

And that's exactly what Mark Hamburg was going for when he designed Lightroom...in truth really, he thought of LR ad the "Un-Photoshop" sort like 7-UP being the Un-Cola, not really the anti-Photoshop :~)

The main fulcrum in the decision axis is what image processing is BEST done with raw processing and what is best done in Photoshop? Since LR is an extension of Camera Raw's processing pipeline and that pipeline is designed and controlled by Thomas Knoll (who also happened to develop Photoshop), the push to add features and functionality to Camera Raw is really based on what is the optimal processing for raw files. Those things that can (and should) be done in ACR are done in ACR and the rest deferred to Photoshop.

There is no conscience effort to keep stuff out of ACR/LR to preserve Photoshop sales...seriously, if you think that, you don't understand the Photoshop marketplace. Photographers make up a very, very small % of the Photoshop user base (under 10% and getting smaller). The real line in the sand is what is best done with a metadata editor and what is best done with a pixel editor.

There's a lot of editing that's really easy to do (easy meaning engineering-wise) with pixels that is very, very difficult to do with metadata edits. If you understand the distinction, it becomes easier to understand what to hope for and ask for in terms of new features and functionality in ACR/LR. And, remember, both pipelines are tied together...what goes in one, will be in the other. I'm sure there will be some nice surprises showing up in LR 5 and ACR 8...(in fact, I already know some of them).

But...it's not really useful asking for features that are conceptually not designed for the basic task that ACR/LR was/is designed for; raw image processing.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »

In my own usage, color coding has little value, whereas keywording has great value. I'd love to be able to assign specific keywords to keys 6,7,8,9,0. I'd put my five most often used keywords on them and boy would that save me some time. (And yes I'm familiar with spray painting keywords.)
Bob
 ht

markly86

« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:15 pm »

A free upgrade from LR4

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

Color coding may have little value to you, but I often use it to sort and distribute...but that doesn't mean I use the shortcuts for it. Having said that, I think it would be nice to use a combo keys to make such changes. I haven't gotten so used to the shortcuts in LR. I use the shortcuts for ratings 1-5, and brush, zoom and many basics, but as someone suggested, it would be nice to get a large set of functions with the ability to customize them.  First thing I would adjust is the gradientM key and a few others. :-)

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2013, 06:31:28 am »

Color coding may have little value to you, but I often use it to sort and distribute..

Ditto - and I do use the shortcut keys.

...and going back up the thread a wee bit, to the discussion about potential competition between LR and PS, I suspect that we have already reached the stage where a combination of LR and Elements meets the genuine needs of most photographers. PS die-hards might well feel that they need CS** but, if we were starting again from scratch, what would we choose?

I am already at the stage where LR is the hub of my photoprocessing and, increasingly, I find myself using Nik and Topaz programs from within Lightroom, rather than moving into CS6. I have been trying to find something important that I currently do in CS6 that I could not do, almost as effectively in Elements.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2013, 03:05:33 pm »

How about it being time that LR CAN read all PSD file formats, and not just Max compatible! 

This is a pain not only for new files, but all the old folders I want to import have many non-max-compat files and I would need to open each individually and save!  I just cancel out of it, and how I remember to Sync the folder later and hope it prompts me again.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2013, 03:08:50 pm »

Also, is it my settings or does it stop reading files over 125K MBytes? If the latter, lets rid that cap. (I do think this maybe a user setting, but it should give you the option with a prompt that has a end action/solution not a statement. It can ask "Do you want to import this large file?". 

Schewe

« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2013, 03:42:38 pm »

How about it being time that LR CAN read all PSD file formats, and not just Max compatible! 

Sorry, not likely because Lightroom can't read layered PSDs to create the main composite preview. I doubt there is interest in putting in a layer raster capability for legacy use of PSD when saving with the composite preview makes the PSD compatible.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2013, 03:54:41 pm »

Also the second screen doesn't work too well. If you want to batch rate a set of images on the second screen in grid view. You can't. it only make it on the selected image. You have to switch back to the 1st screen to do this.
It would be nice to make it a TRUE dual screen support by making the Folders list movable to the second screen. This gives you more room on the 1st, and much more flex on the use of second screen. As long as it can make adjusments on the 2nd as it does on the first. This would also minimize the need to go from Lib to Dev, back to Lid modes.

Give the Folder list(Browser) with grid view on the second screen some independence, and you'd have a better LR for v5

Whitney Dunn

« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2013, 09:02:04 am »

My wish list comes from someone who's recently migrated from Aperture to Lightroom. Most of the friction comes from the library module. It's capable, but cumbersome.

What I'd like to see there:

1.) a closer link between the filter bar and smart albums. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to save the results of using the filter bar as a smart album. Equally, there's no way to have a live preview of a smart album: you first set up the criteria, then see what you get.

2.) creating new sets, collections and smart collections is unnecessarily cumbersome. If I right click on a collection set and pick "new collection", don't pop up a dialogue box - create the collection inside it with the cursor ready to name it. And let me rename something by simply double clicking on it! It works for the finder & windows explorer, it should work for LR too.

3.) it would be fantastic if develop included a grid view. In the longer term, the web/slideshow/book functions really do feel modular - you generally don't do those things till you've culled your images - but develop and library seem two sides of the same coin. Rating and adjusting, tweaking and choosing, those often go hand in hand. I'd love to see those modules combined or, if that's not possible, grow closer together.

4.) a more powerful spot removal tool. Circles are useful but limited. Being able to brush with uninterrupted strokes would be much more effective.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:53 am »

3.) it would be fantastic if develop included a grid view. In the longer term, the web/slideshow/book functions really do feel modular - you generally don't do those things till you've culled your images - but develop and library seem two sides of the same coin. Rating and adjusting, tweaking and choosing, those often go hand in hand. I'd love to see those modules combined or, if that's not possible, grow closer together.

I hear you Whitney.  About the grid view part of your wish - you can do that already in the second window.  It only helps you pick images to edit in Dev, but thought I would mention it in case you were not aware.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #236 on: March 02, 2013, 11:26:25 am »

Hi,

I would like to have some kind of luminosity mask.

Also I would like to have relative presets (like ten percent brighter) that could be temporarily applied to a set of images.

LR 4 is pretty good. It has most things I ever asked for!

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2013, 10:59:02 pm »

I would like to have some kind of luminosity mask.

For doing what types of adjustments?
Eric Chan

Schewe

« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2013, 11:03:21 pm »

And before you answer, remember who's asking...if anybody can make something happen, it's this guy :~)

(but you gotta make a real good use case and describe exactly what you are trying to do and why the current toolset fall short)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2013, 08:26:04 am »

Hi,

I would use it like the gradient filter.

As an example, I use it to darken skies in Photoshop. What I do is that I duplicate the image and use multiply. Than I select blue channel (Alt-CMD-5) and create a layer mask on the top layer. Would be nice to be able to do this in LR without going to Photoshop.

So what I would like to do is essentially to apply corrections depending on the luminosity of the region.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:28:38 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18   Go Up