Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140223 times)

Stephane Desnault

Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2013, 09:28:19 am »

Fascinating insights into artificial intelligence and several discussions of the relative capabilities of the human mind and computers can be found at:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Create-Mind-Thought-Revealed/dp/0670025291/

I know I enjoyed the read :D .

Glenn NK

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:25 pm »

If LR can do "Auto Tone", why can't it do "Auto Straighten"?
And if it can do "Auto Straighten", why can't it do "Auto Keystone Correction"?

I have a few hundred images shot over water (across Juan da Fuca Strait, and on the Oregon coast) in which I've had a very difficult time determining exactly where the horizon is because of large waves, mist, fog, distant cloud, etc., but these are easy compared to a scene shot across a lake.  (I've adjusted some of them several times).

In the case of an image shot over a lake where the far shore is not perpendicular to the line of sight and the camera is not at water level, it is impossible to visually determine a horizontal line on the image because there is none.  If one knew the angle between the far shoreline and the line of sight, and also know the angle between the lake surface and the line of sight, it is mathematically possible (with three dimensional geometry) to calculate a horizontal.  There is still the problem of determining the first angle (angle of shoreline to line of sight) - I have not found an easy method of doing this.  ;)

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

hjulenissen

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:19 pm »

I have a few hundred images shot over water (across Juan da Fuca Strait, and on the Oregon coast) in which I've had a very difficult time determining exactly where the horizon is because of large waves, mist, fog, distant cloud, etc., but these are easy compared to a scene shot across a lake.  (I've adjusted some of them several times).

In the case of an image shot over a lake where the far shore is not perpendicular to the line of sight and the camera is not at water level, it is impossible to visually determine a horizontal line on the image because there is none.  If one knew the angle between the far shoreline and the line of sight, and also know the angle between the lake surface and the line of sight, it is mathematically possible (with three dimensional geometry) to calculate a horizontal.  There is still the problem of determining the first angle (angle of shoreline to line of sight) - I have not found an easy method of doing this.  ;)

Glenn
But then, is it the "true" horizon that one generally wants, or is it the most visually pleasing alternative? If there are no tell-tale buildings, power-line poles etc that the true horizon can be inferred from, it seems to me that one may just as well be creative until a believable and pleasing result appears.

-h

Glenn NK

« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2013, 03:21:49 pm »

But then, is it the "true" horizon that one generally wants, or is it the most visually pleasing alternative? If there are no tell-tale buildings, power-line poles etc that the true horizon can be inferred from, it seems to me that one may just as well be creative until a believable and pleasing result appears.

-h

And precisely why the software can't solve the problem.

It happens quite frequently with landscapes on forums - someone thinks the image needs a little CW or CCW rotation - someone else thinks it's OK.  Try and develop an algorithm based on feelings or opinion.

Previous posters have said as much in different words.  I think it's a dead issue.

Glenn

John Caldwell

Relative Adjustments
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »

What's the latest talk visa vi relative adjustments and presets for relative adjustments? I had the impression that there might be a critical mass of folks wanting this, and that it was not too burdensome from a programming perspective. True?

John Caldwell

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2013, 02:40:52 am »

Late to this thread and haven't read it all. Apologies.
I wish dual monitor support would get sorted. I have the thumbnails on one screen and the image and panels on another. “Save metadata to file” doesn't work unless I move the thumbnails onto the work screen.
Everytime I hit “synchronise”, the thumbnails swap screens and my place in the folders panel gets lost.
I could go on...

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:58 am »

Actually you can!

Find the presets folder and go into subfolders and files.
You can open individual presets in Notepad so you can see exactly what the settings are.
As long as you know what changes you want you can edit the settings and resave.

Tony Jay

Tony, that's new to me and interesting. It's hardly a GUI, though! William's suggestion is one I've often wanted as well.

Jeremy

hjulenissen

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2013, 05:12:04 am »

It happens quite frequently with landscapes on forums - someone thinks the image needs a little CW or CCW rotation - someone else thinks it's OK.  Try and develop an algorithm based on feelings or opinion.

Previous posters have said as much in different words.  I think it's a dead issue.

Glenn
I'd offer an alternate view.

If one wanted to find the "true" horizon from an image that does not offer enough information to find the true horizon, then it is obviously impossible to correct the horizon for either a computer program or a person. It is an unsolvable problem.

If one want to find a "pleasing" horizon from an image, then it is only a matter of figuring out what is pleasing for that particular image. I can do it manually for my taste, you can do it manually for your taste, and it is concieable (although very hard/unlikely) that some future computer program could suggest the setting that "65 out of 100 photographers would prefer", or suggest a list of alternatives that would satisfy most photographers. Of course, this is unlikely to ever happen, but the fact that the choice is based only on the image itself (and not on physical parameters outside of the image) means that the needed information is there.

-h

Tony Jay

« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:59 am »

Tony, that's new to me and interesting. It's hardly a GUI, though! William's suggestion is one I've often wanted as well.

Jeremy

Yes, it does show one how complex and interesting Lightroom is.
I certainly cannot claim to know everything there is to know about Lightroom but I am investing a fair bit of time digging into its innards to find out how it ticks.
The way I do this is by investigating issues that come up on this forum and others and seeing if I can solve them.
I have learnt all sorts of interesting things in the process that I would never encounter in my usual workflow.

As for an integrated solution to editing presets - we shall see.

Tony Jay

dreed

« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »

I've never come across an image that one person thought was straight and another thought wasn't.

But regardless of that, if "Auto Level" is out of the question then give me the option of selecting a boundary between two colours in an image as the horizontal or vertical line rather than requiring me to draw one. Sometimes there is no boundary for me to try and draw over but when I do want to make such a correction then most of the time, there is.

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2013, 06:18:07 am »

I apologize if should have been said already and I also know that this probably isn't something Eric is working on but:
LR5 definitely needs more organizational features in the book module. Folders within a book project would already be of great help!

Glenn NK

« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:22 pm »

I've never come across an image that one person thought was straight and another thought wasn't.

Try Naturescapes.net

It's happened a number of times in the landscape gallery.

Pete_G

« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2013, 08:02:28 am »

I'm wondering if there could be an Anti Banding Module. Yes, I know there are techniques in PS, but something like Eric's brilliant CA tool would be very useful. I don't even know if it's possible.

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2013, 08:23:32 am »

I would like more cloud features added.  The web module is ripe for a cloud makeover and the slideshow feature is just not that useful in its current form.   Store 1:1 renders in the cloud and move these output features there.  Make it easy to get images to iPhones and iPads.  I see revenue streams everywhere.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

stamper

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2013, 08:41:42 am »

I'm wondering if there could be an Anti Banding Module. Yes, I know there are techniques in PS, but something like Eric's brilliant CA tool would be very useful. I don't even know if it's possible.

The banding is possibly caused by over processing so I don't think that is possible?

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2013, 09:17:08 am »

A proper implementation of layers with masks would be a good progression, saving a round trip to Photoshop.
Wills
Wil

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:36 am »

Adobe has a 'JDI' (just do it) programme for Photoshop where small adjustments/improvements/tidy-ups are implemented. It would be good to have that for Lightroom. I nominate that pesky double-headed arrow bug in the keyword list as something to be sorted.

Anthony.

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2013, 03:45:10 pm »

The best way to get the horizon straight automatically is for Lightroom to read the accelerometer data and get the yaw, pitch, roll of the camera when the shot was taken. What! your camera doesn't have accellerometers? How 20th Century!

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »

Here's another one: It would be convenient to be able to give names to aspect ratios. I have so many custom formats that I can never remember which is which.

stamper

« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2013, 04:04:26 am »

Surely you can't blame LR for your poor memory? :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up