Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140652 times)

stamper

Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 06:12:41 am »

Yes, Fred's right, one keystroke to do all of this would be nice, but it won't seem so important to people working with big screens.
[/quote]

but you would have to pick the viewing mode first which would mean more than one keystroke? In develop mode I don't see a better solution than TAB? ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2012, 06:13:03 am »

"Care to elaborate further?" It's irony. Was it not patently obvious 4 keystrokes wasn't what Fred suggested? Wow, the world was crying out for that fact to be pointed out. Hence the line from Pulp Fiction.

Just try your tab suggestion when you are in grid, loupe or compare view. On its own, tab is insufficient as it will only hide the side panels - the top and bottom might remain visible, the menu and application window too. So depending on how many of these are shown when you want a single image as big as possible, you could currently need as many as 4 keystrokes to get to a full screen.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2012, 06:34:04 am »

but you would have to pick the viewing mode first which would mean more than one keystroke? In develop mode I don't see a better solution than TAB? ;)
No, I think Fred's idea is one single keystroke to bring an image absolutely full screen with no interface clutter at all. Hopefully flip flopping back to where you where with a second press.
It really could be a more comprehensive solution than tab which still can leave a lot of screen clutter.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 06:41:45 am »

A single keystroke would be helpful, though I'd be happy enough to lose the impromptu slideshow and re-use its Ctrl Enter / Cmd Enter.

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2012, 07:30:04 pm »

How much bigger can the screen get using your suggestions rather than TAB. I tried your suggestions - Rhossyd was correct about the four keystrokes - and none of them made the screen larger than using TAB.  ::)

Well, shift|TAB minimises all four panels and *does* make the image fill the screen (more or less, subject to the crop shape of course), with the FF expanding the images to full screen mode. Certainly bigger than just TAB.

The E John mentions just puts the image into loupe view and would apply even with just TAB. If we want to work our fingers to the bone we could go LL as well, to activate 'lights out' mode as well :-)
Anthony.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »

Have you tried LL?
Works good enough for my needs. Fit or Fill, and its zero clutter.

I don't find use for my needs to fill the screen edge to edge.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2012, 12:33:03 am »

I've seen this mentioned before, and it trips me up often:

A Quit confirmation/cancel would be helpful.  On a Mac, it's easy to hit Cmd-Q when aiming for Cmd-Tab to switch applications.

hjulenissen

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2012, 03:22:42 am »

The big selling-point of Lightroom for me is that is minimize the tedious, monotone actions needed by me to develop large series of raw files into good-looking, well-organized digital libraries. My suggestions are primarily in order to improve on this main benefit.

/* consumer-style features */
+ Facial/Motif recognition would be great. I'll happily tag my first 100 pictures, but if those faces are recognized in other pictures, why not suggest the same tag?
+ Instead of presenting an import as a chronological list of 100s of images, I'd like some smartness in presenting the "likely" good shots first. Focus/camera-shake, over/under-exposure, open/closed eyes etc.
+ Some modules seem overly constrained. Why do I resort to MS Paint occasionally for simple things like putting two images side-by-side in an image, instead of wading through endless options in the LR book module with seemingly pointless e.g. margins enforced upon me?
+ an iOS/Android lightroom-"light" app. Should give access to catalogs shared on a NAS, the ability to search and view images in a UI familiar to LR users. Additional points for being able to rate and tag images on the device, but no need for the full develop module, and images could be pre-rendered by the PC/Mac to jpegs if necessary.
+ Ability to keep source folder (sub) structure when exporting.

/* enthusiast features */
+ 2nd monitor should zoom in on an area defined by the active AF points. I see myself manually doing this all of the time to check focus of e.g. eyes in portraits
+ The ability to combine images into one edited logical image (HDR, side-by-side, layers, etc)
+ add "skin tone" to the wb picker
+ The possibility for true raw histogram and exposure correction (switch early stages of processing pipeline to camera native "colorspace"?)

More snappiness, exploit GPUs if that makes sense. Enthusiasts may have 8+ cores, 256-bit SIMD, large and fast flash drives. How well does LR exploit this? How well will it in the future?

-h
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:41:20 am by hjulenissen »

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2012, 05:06:46 am »

@hjulenissen

+1 on all your suggestions - Image recognition software today is definitely smart enough to find common defects like camera shakes and red eyes - taking advantage of that should be part of the library features to pinpoint shots with or without likely issues, and we should be able to correct them semi-automatically in the develop module (without being forced to do it obviously).

Rhossydd

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2012, 05:16:25 am »

Enthusiasts may have 8+ cores, 256-bit SIMD, large and fast flash drives. How well does LR exploit this?
It's not a question of if it exploits this sort of power, it absolutely needs it. LR will use every morsel of performance in your hard drives when searching and scrolling in the library, similarly CPUs hit 100% utilisation regularly in the develop module and if all other parts of the system keep up will keep all cores at 100% when exporting big batches of files.
But yes the GPU sits doing SFA, whilst the rest of the system is trashing away.

Rhossydd

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2012, 05:19:30 am »

To get back to the original post;
Most of this was discussed when LR4 was first released and ultimately discussions like this here are pretty futile. Although they do have a habit of revealing that many people want features that are already available, but they haven't discovered them yet.

If you want something added, tell Adobe directly. Unfortunately the system for doing this isn't as convenient as it could be, each individual suggestion has to be made separately which is tiresome and awkward if some requests are dependant on others.

With respect to the OP's five requests;
I don't want "automatic" anything. In my experience auto features just get things wrong or not quite right, so I don't want resources wasted on things I'll just switch off.

Below are the suggestions I've sent to Adobe since LR4 was released;

General
A global history option; A list of what files have recently been written to in or used and in which module.
Use the GPU power of high end graphic cards.

Library module
This module is almost perfect but there are two areas where significant improvements can be made;
Keywording:-
1. Significantly increasing the number of the keyword suggestion options (buttons). This would ideally be user configurable to account for different screen sizes.
2. Increasing the number of keywords allowable in a set and increasing the number of buttons to accommodate this.
3. Having the option of a third keywording panel. This would allow suggestions/recent/sets to all be easily accessible.
4. The ability to select and add a complete set of keywords with one click.

Develop module

The ability to split the colour temperature control to give different values in different tonal ranges (shadows/midtones/highlights)

Local adjustments:-
Adjustment Brush;
Move “show selected mask overlay” option to mask control drop down box. (like ACR)
Add buttons to change overlay colour (maybe two pre-configured options). (like ACR)
Add HSL range of options.
Gradient Mask;
Add overlay provision as above.
Add HSL options.
It would also be nice to partially erase areas of the mask using the adjustment brush.

History
Add an indication of where in the history a “before” state is being shown from. (Emboldening the text of the state or an added asterisk would help this)
The ability to delete one edit from the history without removing everything since and/or the option to edit that history state. Surely not an issue with parametric edits ?

Book module

This absolutely needs the ability to work without templates, using custom layouts and custom sizes.
The ability to place text boxes freely anywhere on the page with any orientation.
The ability to save new custom layouts as templates.
A page numbering option.
Improved text handling.
A History panel.
The ability view other collections whilst working on a book and to drag images from any collection straight onto the page and have them added to the book's own collection.

Print module

The ability to place text boxes freely anywhere on the page (as above)

Plus fixing the bugs

hjulenissen

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:16 am »

It's not a question of if it exploits this sort of power, it absolutely needs it.
If LR is threaded by at most 2 or 4 or 6, then it IS a question if it exploits it. If LR cannot currently use more than 6 threads, it does not _need_ 8 cores (but one might argue, like you, that the software should have been written in such a way that it could use 8 cores more effectively. We dont know the low-level structure of the compute-bound algorithms in LR, though. Some problems are notoriously difficult/impossible to thread.)
LR will use every morsel of performance in your hard drives when searching and scrolling in the library, similarly CPUs hit 100% utilisation regularly in the develop module and if all other parts of the system keep up will keep all cores at 100% when exporting big batches of files.
But yes the GPU sits doing SFA, whilst the rest of the system is trashing away.
The question is if porting parts of the image processing to the GPU is worth it in terms of:
-Additional bugs (larger test-matrix, lower-level programming language, buggy GPU drivers)
-Slower development
-Algorithmic constraints due to limited GPU features

I do not claim to know what Adobe should do, but I think it is a relevant question.

-h

Rhossydd

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2012, 11:25:31 am »

If LR is threaded by at most 2 or 4 or 6,
I see all 8 cores at full utilisation when importing/exporting and momentarily when doing CPU intensive tasks in develop.

Adobe have a decent track record of using GPU power in PS & PP so maybe different teams need to help each other.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2012, 12:03:32 am »

5.  Ability to add custom keyboard shortcuts to presets (including cropping presets).

+1

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2013, 06:59:24 am »

Number 1 for me: healing brush (better yet content aware) in development module.

I believe this has also been requested by many in Adobe forums.

Tony Jay

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2013, 07:10:13 am »

Possibly already requested:
An easy way to import and export collection sets as sets.

Currently the only way that I know to do this is as a catalog export/import step.

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:34:46 am by Tony Jay »

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »

How about the ability to generate a text file containing selected metadata for a group of images? I normally list out the file names of the images that I'm delivering (on the invoice, for example) and it's a bit tedious to have to type them out by hand. If LR could generate a list of the file names that I could then copy/paste into other documents, it'd be a great time-saver.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2013, 01:04:24 pm »

Take a look at my ListView plugin, Scott.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »

Just purchased. Thanks, John!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2013, 01:41:11 pm »

I try my best not to be too mercenary!

John
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18   Go Up