Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140647 times)

AlfSollund

Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2012, 01:09:13 pm »

Improved signatures & text adding on export.

Better file handling following folder structure such as the ability to have folder (hierarchy) structures on collections and be able to export/publish (sync) with same folder structure. In fact I would also like to be able to filter/find on exported, and make collections based on exported.

Also to be able to "link" files with same name  but different extortions so that when I delete  one file the corresponding files are also deleted. Would save me some time.

Would like some kind of version control (make new virtual version).
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Tony Jay

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2012, 06:14:11 pm »

It does.. For some reason I am having trouble adding only certain images and I need to go back an re-create that. 

But, what I think I am trying to say is that I want the Collections to function in a more hierarchical manner. Unless I am again missing something, right now I can only create a nested collection inside a Collection Set. I can't create a 'sub-collection' inside that second, nested set, I have to create that sub-collection next to my nested Collection. Kind of like Folders>Sub Folders>Sub, Sub Folders, etc.

I think you may need to do some more reading around metadata, keywords and collections, smart collections.
It seems to me that you are trying to use a powerdrill as a hammer.
It may sort of work some of the time, sort of, but really it is still best used as a powerdrill rather than a hammer.
So what I am trying to say is that you should not be needing to deeply nest collections in the manner of folder structures and collections are not really designed to be used thus - because it isn't necessary.
I think your workflow needs a redesign that actually takes advantage of the strengths of Lightroom.

Get yourself the video tutorial, "Where the @#$% are my Pictures" available on this website.
Although the whole video deals with much broader issues it does give an excellent primer on the sorts of issues that are giving you such headaches.
Also, if you do have further questions to raise it might be best to start a new thread since this one is dealing with a wishlist for Lr5 and your questions revolve around workflow issues in the Library module.

Tony Jay

DesertAura

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2012, 10:54:17 pm »

1. Healing brush (more advanced than a single spot healer or clone tool)

2. Freestyle watermarking. What I mean by that is the ability to change a saved watermark (e.g., position, color, size, opacity) for an exported image without having to Save it as a new watermark every time. That way, I could have fewer saved watermarks, based mainly on font style, and I could customize the position, size, etc. each time I export an image.

3. Ability to put multi-line text on photos. I know I'm probably a lone ranger in wanting this, but I put text on photos a lot (mostly for my church; scripture quotes and such). Applying text is about the only thing that I still have to go into Photoshop Elements for and I'd like to be able to do it in Lightroom.

Bev

aduke

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 12:00:28 am »

3. Ability to put multi-line text on photos. I know I'm probably a lone ranger in wanting this, but I put text on photos a lot (mostly for my church; scripture quotes and such). Applying text is about the only thing that I still have to go into Photoshop Elements for and I'd like to be able to do it in Lightroom.

Bev

No, you're not the only one. My wife likes to make cards of her photos. A better way to add text, either to the image or in another image space next to it would be wonderful.

Alan

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 02:00:21 am »

2. Freestyle watermarking. What I mean by that is the ability to change a saved watermark (e.g., position, color, size, opacity) for an exported image without having to Save it as a new watermark every time. That way, I could have fewer saved watermarks, based mainly on font style, and I could customize the position, size, etc. each time I export an image

This is already available, although the placement can be more useful.  It is in the drop down list. If you look at the bottom of that list you will see Update Setting, or something of the sort. It will do just that.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

DesertAura

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2012, 07:44:42 am »

Thanks, Phil. I can't wait to try that. Is it a recent addition? Please don't tell me it has been there all along.  :)

Bev

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 10:22:43 am »

So what I am trying to say is that you should not be needing to deeply nest collections in the manner of folder structures and collections are not really designed to be used thus - because it isn't necessary.

I disagree that nesting collections is not needed. I would find it very useful. For example, I am currently printing a large show. I put alll the photos in a collection. As I print them I'd like to be able to move them to a sub-collection. Then, when they are successfully framed and are ready to hang, move them to another sub-collection. Of course, the parent collection should not show the images in the sub-collections.

walter.sk

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »

...As I print them I'd like to be able to move them to a sub-collection. Then, when they are successfully framed and are ready to hang, move them to another sub-collection. Of course, the parent collection should not show the images in the sub-collections.

I use the purple label for those I've printed, and it's quick and easy to filter for them.  The rating carries over to the collections, as well.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 12:55:39 pm »

A small request, but being able to have an image in multiple collections would be nice.

I have some images in 3 collections.  I did not know there was a limit to how many collections an image can be in.

John Caldwell

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2012, 01:54:48 pm »

I use the purple label for those I've printed, and it's quick and easy to filter for them.

Good idea. I wish we could search the History states for any image that had been Printed. Does anyone know how difficult, from a programming standpoint, that searching History states would be?

John Caldwell

Tony Jay

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »

I have some images in 3 collections.  I did not know there was a limit to how many collections an image can be in.

There isn't.

Tony Jay

Tony Jay

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »

Peter, using smart collections I can see a way to achieve your goals using private keywords that act as controllers for both negative and positive criteria for the smart collections.
I also fully acknowledge not completely understanding your workflow of course.

By the way, Good Luck with your show!

Tony Jay

Tedd

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

How about a single key that displays the current image full screen.  This is a feature of most image processing software.

stamper

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 03:47:30 am »

How about a single key that displays the current image full screen.  This is a feature of most image processing software.

TAB?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 04:24:08 am »

TAB?
Which just hides the left and right panel and leaves you in whatever view you're in, such as grid view.

E, Shift+Tab, FF

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2012, 04:32:43 am »

E, Shift+Tab, FF
Which is four key strokes. It works, but it's not what our new member was suggesting.

Welcome Fred, good suggestion.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 04:44:28 am »

Which is four key strokes. It works, but it's not what our new member was suggesting.

"Check out the big brain on Brad"?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:54:13 am by johnbeardy »

stamper

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:44 am »

Which just hides the left and right panel and leaves you in whatever view you're in, such as grid view.

E, Shift+Tab, FF

How much bigger can the screen get using your suggestions rather than TAB. I tried your suggestions - Rhossyd was correct about the four keystrokes - and none of them made the screen larger than using TAB.  ::)

stamper

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:02 am »

"Check out the big brain on Brad"?

Care to elaborate further?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:31 am »

none of them made the screen larger than using TAB.  ::)
That depends on the screen state you start from.
E- forces a single image to the screen in loupe mode as large as possible > shift tab- removes all panels, both at the sides and top and bottom > FF makes the application full screen with no window controls or menus.

Yes, Fred's right, one keystroke to do all of this would be nice, but it won't seem so important to people working with big screens.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up