Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140218 times)

Tony Jay

Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 04:45:23 pm »

Ability to shift the crop area outside the "original" frame when using large corrections, rather than having to scale down the image to fit into the frame.

There is a solution to this already - something that I only became aware of recently.
In the lens correction subpanel the last of the transform sliders is scale.
Reducing the scale reduces the image size while keeping the canvas size the same.
This allows cropping outside the "original" frame.

Tony Jay

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 05:30:21 pm »

Ability to shift the crop area outside the "original" frame when using large corrections, rather than having to scale down the image to fit into the frame.

There is a solution to this already - something that I only became aware of recently.
In the lens correction subpanel the last of the transform sliders is scale.
Reducing the scale reduces the image size while keeping the canvas size the same.
This allows cropping outside the "original" frame.

I'd like to eliminate this downsampling workaround.

Tony Jay

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »

I'd like to eliminate this downsampling workaround.

You may have a point there Alan.

Tony Jay

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »

1) More intuitive print module for making precisely sized single prints.
2) When printing on roll paper, where the paper width is fixed, the ability to automatically have the paper length be X inches more than needed to accommodate the image.
3) In collections, the ability to display the number of unique images as well as the total number of images. In other words, the original image, any edited TIFFs from Photoshop, virtual copies, proofed copies, etc. would all together count as 1 image.
4) A way to stop screen elements from automatically appearing and disappearing based on mouse position (this is maddening!).
5) A help screen that can pop up in a separate window listing all of the many keyboard shortcuts and modifiers.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »

manfred...I too use dual 30" screens and just recently added a number of separate catalogs into 1 larger catalog and I already feel the performance hit! So much for that idea.

So, unless LR is serious about DAM managment, I agree th performance MUST be delt with. I honestly don't know how that is possible when 1 application is doing the job of 2 programs that are both content heavy.  So I either need to see a boost in performance that would marginally smooth things over until the catalog gets larger and slows again, or Option to have LR Launch via a DAm application and deal only as a "temporary catalog".  (AS A UNDETECTED OPTION)

This would split the lag of the change from one app to another, as the resources may be alike to some degree(Not necessarily), but demand to switch is independent.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:53:57 am by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:28 pm »

Can we compile these suggestions and vote on them with a importance rating?  I think that would be interesting. I don't always agree with the popular vote (specifically judging photos :-P, but worth seeing. Perhaps we can get a rating from general users and some users that are seasoned in the area of image-making/studio needs/photo retouchers/ photo business/event/commercial. etc...
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Tony Jay

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:24 pm »

Its a good thought Phil, but he who gets the vision gets the job...

Tony Jay

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:46 pm »

1) More intuitive print module for making precisely sized single prints.
2) When printing on roll paper, where the paper width is fixed, the ability to automatically have the paper length be X inches more than needed to accommodate the image.
3) In collections, the ability to display the number of unique images as well as the total number of images. In other words, the original image, any edited TIFFs from Photoshop, virtual copies, proofed copies, etc. would all together count as 1 image.
4) A way to stop screen elements from automatically appearing and disappearing based on mouse position (this is maddening!).
5) A help screen that can pop up in a separate window listing all of the many keyboard shortcuts and modifiers.

Just discovered that #5 is al;ready done - ctrl+/

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 02:44:21 am »

Hi,

One issue I have is that shortcuts work differently on international keyboards, for instance Ctrl+/ is "set label to yellow" on my keyboard.

Best regards
Erik

Just discovered that #5 is al;ready done - ctrl+/
Erik Kaffehr

stamper

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 03:37:27 am »

You may have a point there Alan.

Tony Jay

I wasn't aware you could downsample something that isn't measured in pixels? You learn something new everyday. :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 03:40:28 am by stamper »

Tony Jay

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 03:54:01 am »

I wasn't aware you could downsample something that isn't measured in pixels? You learn something new everyday. :)

I am not sure whether there is a downsampling or not - I still need to check.
I was acknowledging the possibility that Alan is right - and he might be.

Tony Jay

Tony Jay

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 06:52:42 am »

I am not sure whether there is a downsampling or not - I still need to check.
I was acknowledging the possibility that Alan is right - and he might be.

Gentlemen I have clarification.
Using the scale slider can change the subsequent size of the image in pixel dimensions (this is what Alan was trying to tell us).
One could use the term 'downsampling' to describe this but as far as I can determine downsampling is reserved for output purposes only (Alan's use of the term 'downsampling' may not be strictly correct but perhaps one of the guru's may care to arbitrate here).

Thank's to Allen for raising the issue.

Tony Jay

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 11:10:17 am »

This is probably a misuse of terminology but images can already be in multiple collections.

Tony Jay

Yes, I do that by creating virtual copies of the image I want. Is there a better way?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 11:15:28 am »

Just directly drag images (without creating virtual copies) into multiple collections.  You can do this for as many collections as you want.

If you edit the image (e.g., change Exposure setting) while in one collection, you will see that edit reflected properly when visiting all of the other collections that also contain this image.
Eric Chan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:41 am »

Yes, larger books, and mostly more customizable page templates - being able to make the picture or text containers larger (and not only smaller) would be very practical.

Books that are currently not supported by Blurb? IOW, isn't Lightroom somewhat limited to what it can send to Blurb? I have to wonder if Adobe will:

1. Provide other internal uploading and processing of books within LR to suppliers who may have better, more flexible printers.
2. Would they provide output to PDF using templates that Blurb can't support? If so, at least we could export to these sizes assuming some book provider would handle a PDF in the color space output.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Tony Jay

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 04:41:24 pm »

Yes, I do that by creating virtual copies of the image I want. Is there a better way?
Just directly drag images (without creating virtual copies) into multiple collections.  You can do this for as many collections as you want.

If you edit the image (e.g., change Exposure setting) while in one collection, you will see that edit reflected properly when visiting all of the other collections that also contain this image.

Lightroom is not the same as boxes under your bed.
There is no need to duplicate (by making virtual copies) to put images in different collections.
In computer speak all a collection is, is a bunch of pointers pointing back to the original image location.
A single image (as Eric explicitly explains) can belong to as many collections as you like.
Any edits made to an image will subsequently be reflected when that image is selected via any of the collections of which it is a member.
So, virtual copies are only helpful if you are doing different edits (say colour versus black&white) on the same image but completely redundant for the purpose of ensuring membership of a collection.

Hope this explanation helps.

Tony Jay

Don.H

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »

A few suggestions to make image metadata more usable:

1) Using Metadata in Library functions
Current situation:  The LR filter, smart collection, and file renaming mechanisms all allow access to subsets of EXIF/IPTC metadata - but the subsets are incomplete & different (examples - you can use "Headline" in a file name but not as filter or smart collection parameter and you can't use "Event" in any of them). 
It would be helpful to either allow access from each of these functions to any EXIF or IPTC field, or, if that is too cumbersome (too many fields), then allow the user to define a preference for the subset of fields that would be available to the functions. 
For example, if you use Caption, Title, Headline, and Event, then you should be able to access each of these fields in the Filter, Smart Collection criteria, and file renaming.

2) User defined MetaData Field Lists (customizing which MetaData fields show up in the Metadata Panel) - I've found web articles showing how to create these lists - it would be a minor change for Adobe to officially document and support this capability.

3) Add a command to bulk edit metadata for selected pictures - most importantly the ability to copy or move data from one field to another (I'm probably not the only person who has used fields inconsistently from year to year).  Even better would be a bulk edit function to fill or modify field contents based on other metadata for the image (something like the custom filename dialog in export).

I'm starting to look at John Beardsworth's "Search Replace Transfer" plugin which appears to solve items 1 & 3 - but these are important capabilities which should be built into Lightroom and supported by Adobe

4) This might be a stretch, but the same sort of metadata flexibility in text fields in all of the output modules.  Allow the use of any metadata field (as in #1) or constructed fields (like the file name dialog) to fill text boxes in Book, Slideshow, Web, and Print.  Even better if we could define multiple text boxes and multi-line text to better label pictures in Slideshow, Web, and Print (for contact sheets).

As more users' catalogs grow into the 10K's of images and more, the need to manage and clean up metadata will only become more important.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:16 am »

I heartily second the motion for Don.H's suggestions.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 02:27:43 am »

I heartily second the motion for Don.H's suggestions.

ditto

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2012, 09:43:36 am »

Hope this explanation helps.

Tony Jay

It does.. For some reason I am having trouble adding only certain images and I need to go back an re-create that. 

But, what I think I am trying to say is that I want the Collections to function in a more hierarchical manner. Unless I am again missing something, right now I can only create a nested collection inside a Collection Set. I can't create a 'sub-collection' inside that second, nested set, I have to create that sub-collection next to my nested Collection. Kind of like Folders>Sub Folders>Sub, Sub Folders, etc.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up