Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?  (Read 140216 times)

Tony Jay

Re: What are you wishing for in LR5 ?
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2013, 04:29:17 am »

Well that is a whole different issue.
The original question does have an answer though.

Tony Jay

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2013, 06:14:53 am »

Oh but that's such a geek's solution, Tony. Why for example shouldn't a preset's settings be visible in a tooltip?

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2013, 07:28:03 am »

Well that is a whole different issue.
The original question does have an answer though.

Tony Jay
:D just not the answer I wanted  ;)
Wills
Wil

stamper

« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2013, 08:43:30 am »

I am wondering if Jeff & Eric are monitoring this thread and having a quiet chuckle about all these requests, thinking that the posters have about a 1% chance of getting any/all of the requests implemented. Likewise the engineers are having nightmares and sleepless nights because the head of the department has called them up and demanded that all of the requests should be implemented and the bloat should be cut in half into the bargain. Meanwhile despite the costs being doubled the marketing department has been ordered to cut the price by 30% and double the turnover revenue.  ;) :)

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »

I have certainly read all the requests in this thread, but most of them are outside my direct line of work.   ;)
Eric Chan

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 04:15:09 pm »

2) When printing on roll paper, where the paper width is fixed, the ability to automatically have the paper length be X inches more than needed to accommodate the image.
This one is a pet peeve of mine since I bought a R1800 5 years ago, but alas! It seems it needs too much interaction with the print driver.
Maybe do RIPs work like that?

The LR filter, smart collection, and file renaming mechanisms all allow access to subsets of EXIF/IPTC metadata - but the subsets are incomplete & different (examples - you can use "Headline" in a file name but not as filter or smart collection parameter and you can't use "Event" in any of them). 
It would be helpful to either allow access from each of these functions to any EXIF or IPTC field, [...]
Oh, yes!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 05:04:06 pm »

I am wondering if Jeff & Eric are monitoring this thread and having a quiet chuckle about all these requests, thinking that the posters have about a 1% chance of getting any/all of the requests implemented.

Yes...I am monitoring the thread and sometimes chuckle but not because of the 1% chance part. I sometimes chuckle when somebody asks for things that are already in LR4 and when somebody mentions something that might very well be in LR5. But, I will admit that many of the requests are unlikely for a variety of reasons...but that's no reason NOT to ask for them :~)

rogan

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 08:15:15 pm »

Better faster tethering options that is more stable and faster.

stamper

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2013, 04:33:46 am »

Yes...I am monitoring the thread and sometimes chuckle but not because of the 1% chance part. I sometimes chuckle when somebody asks for things that are already in LR4 and when somebody mentions something that might very well be in LR5. But, I will admit that many of the requests are unlikely for a variety of reasons...but that's no reason NOT to ask for them :~)

.....but how many of them do you consider reasonable considering that LR won't grow anywhere as big as PS for obvious reasons? ;)

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2013, 09:20:33 am »

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad I originated the thread then :) ! Now, you just have to point to the feature already implemented (I'm not kidding on that one!), and also give us a detailed list of the ones that will be in LR5, along with the ship date :D :D (ok, I admit I may be kidding on those) !

Best,

Stephane

P.S.
Thanks for the site and the awesome LR tutorial.

dreed

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:11 am »

+1 - better keystone correction.

I'd like to go one further than "draw lines" and be able to "select an edge or line" in the picture.

To expand on this a little..

Many images that we take already have the "horizontal" and "vertical" lines that we want to be straight up and down. Requiring us to draw new lines over those to get the correct angle required just introduces the potential for error because it is often very hard to properly overlay the tool line with what is in the image. (Sometimes the tool line is thicker than the line in the image!)

To take a classic example, picture at the beach with ocean meeting sky line. When I take the image, the camera isn't perfectly horizontal so I need to correct the image. If I can select the boundary of the ocean/sky as being the line then LR should be able to work out what rotation is required to have both endpoints level and also apply distortion correction for any curvature found in the line. If LR was really smart, it could use the information it learns from the distortion correction from that image with other images that I've taken with the same lens, using the same zoom/f-stop settings.

Unfortunately it may be that the number of images with which this works is not sufficiently large to merit this kind of feature being added however it would also work well for architectural photographs where there are lots of straight lines from buildings that often need to be corrected. For sports, I can't see it helping, similarly for a lot of landscape work where straight lines are absent, although maybe it could use things like power poles or fences or maybe even trees (trees might take a lot of extra work.)

In short, often when it comes to horizontal/vertical distortion correction the lines that I want to correct are already in the picture so why do I need to draw new ones?

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2013, 11:08:39 am »

Hi Dreed,

I'm currently trying ViewPoint from DxO, which extracts that very feature from the full DxO package, and exposes it as a 39€ plugin for LR, Aperture or PS... So far, from what I see, I'll gladly pay for it once the trial expires.

One thing I like a lot: an integrated loupe where the cursor is when setting up points, and automated ege detection.

One thing I like less: It doesn't work with NEFs (hey, it's not the full DxO package) so for me it's only useful when integrated in LR.

Best,

Stephane

Glenn NK

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »

After a bit more use of the Adjustment Brush, I've come up with another wish:

It's much easier to use small apertures (which bring the BG into focus with all the warts) than to use large apertures and focus stack for better DOF of the subject without bringing the BG into focus.

In this respect, the AB is useful for blurring a BG of a botanical image.   For example; by setting the brush with negative Clarity and Sharpness and positive Shadows, a busy and/or contrasty BG can be softened (even poor bokeh can be mitigated to some extent).

However, even with the Flow and Density set to maximum values, it sometimes takes two or more "go-arounds" to get the desired effect.

My request is to make the brush so it can be duplicated (this would save a considerable amount of time in going around the subject a second time with Auto Mask on).

In other words, once the brush has been used on the entire image, it could be duplicated, thereby increasing the strength of the effect(s).

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

stamper

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2013, 04:41:52 am »

Quote dreed.

To take a classic example, picture at the beach with ocean meeting sky line. When I take the image, the camera isn't perfectly horizontal so I need to correct the image.

Unquote

Lens distortion > manual > rotate. You can rotate the image with very fine adjustments with a grid overlay and it is better than the line tool for precision placement. :)

dreed

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2013, 07:01:11 am »

Quote dreed.

To take a classic example, picture at the beach with ocean meeting sky line. When I take the image, the camera isn't perfectly horizontal so I need to correct the image.

Unquote

Lens distortion > manual > rotate. You can rotate the image with very fine adjustments with a grid overlay and it is better than the line tool for precision placement. :)

But why do *I* need to make the adjustments?
Why can't I pick the horizon (which is supposed to be a relatively straight line) and tell LR to fix the photograph such that the horizon is a flat, horizontal line?
We've got fast computers so why shouldn't they be doing something even a little bit intelligent like that?
Why can't the computer work out what is the correct adjustment to make?

stamper

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2013, 07:07:28 am »

But why do *I* need to make the adjustments?
Why can't I pick the horizon (which is supposed to be a relatively straight line) and tell LR to fix the photograph such that the horizon is a flat, horizontal line?
We've got fast computers so why shouldn't they be doing something even a little bit intelligent like that?
Why can't the computer work out what is the correct adjustment to make?

Because LR or your computer can't read your mind or know your intentions. If both could think then they might surmise you want the imperfections? It is your image and you are in charge and you should be using the tools - assuming they are adequate - to instruct the program to carry out your wishes? :) BTW why don't you ask your camera manufacturer to implement ways to prevent it in the first place. ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:09:03 am by stamper »

Stephane Desnault

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:18 am »

Hi Dreed, Stamper,

Aperture already has the feature to straighten the horizon in just one click. It's straightforward (no pun intended), and a useful feature. It works whenever there is an obvious horizontal dividing pattern in the frame.

Granted, it saves just about 4 seconds at the start of the edit... but, in many cases, it's such a no-brainer, why not let the computer do it for you!

Best,

Stephane

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:14 am »

@dreed - You know that you can crop and hold down CtrlR / CmdR ?

dreed

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2013, 08:51:29 am »

@dreed - You know that you can crop and hold down CtrlR / CmdR ?

That's just a short cut for clicking on the ruler, yes?

And it doesn't work when zoomed in (crop forces you back to 100% view).

Because LR or your computer can't read your mind or know your intentions. If both could think then they might surmise you want the imperfections? It is your image and you are in charge and you should be using the tools - assuming they are adequate - to instruct the program to carry out your wishes? :)

If LR can do "Auto Tone", why can't it do "Auto Straighten"?
And if it can do "Auto Straighten", why can't it do "Auto Keystone Correction"?

The instructions I want to give to LR are:
- rotate the image and apply whatever distortion correction is necessary to present a straight and horizontal horizon (that might also lead to instructions such as "apply rotation and distortion correction to have as many trees as possible being straight up and down.")
- determine and apply the required correction to make this building look like a rectangle rather than a trapezoid

Now I would be happy to tell LR which edge it is that needs to be horizontal/vertical and/or draw a circle/box around the squished looking building that needs to be made whole again if that will help but that is the limit of what I want to have to do.

Or to pick a Jeff Schewe favourite topic:
- an "Auto Moire Correction" tool that examines the image, detects what regions are impacted by moire and applies a suitable correction even if there are multiple regions in the image that require different levels of moire correction (not likely but a lens can do funny things to a scene)
After all, moire is easily seen with the eye and if it can be easily seen with the eye then it should be possible to detect it using an algorithm and determine what correction is needed to remove the moire without requiring the use of a brush. Or why not even add an "Eliminate moire" checkbox along with those for removing chromatic aberration, etc?

BTW why don't you ask your camera manufacturer to implement ways to prevent it in the first place. ;)

A lot of the more recent DSLRs and MFDBs do actually include a digital leveling feature. So yes, some camera manufacturers are aware of this issue and are doing what they can to inform the photographer about whether the camera is level or not.

hjulenissen

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2013, 09:19:52 am »

After all, moire is easily seen with the eye and if it can be easily seen with the eye then it should be possible to detect it using an algorithm
Not everything that is easy for humans is easy for computers and vice versa.

Stuff like speech recognition, navigation in a room full of obstacles, distinguishing an image of a 'tree' from that of a 'car', stuff that average 2 year old humans do easily, are notoriously hard for computers, even when we throw decades of PhD research and eager entrepenours at the problem.

The basic problem with aliasing is that you get one unique set of data ("pixels" or "raw file") that relate to several possible scenes. I dont think that it is possible to robustly (i.e. 100 out of 100 times) guess wich scene is most likely without simulatenously doing a high-level analysis of the image motif, the photographer intent etc. Of course, us humans do this subconsciously without a sweat, but good luck formalizing that process as an algorithm.

Imagine a photographer shooting a LEGO(tm) set. Brightly colored bricks in a higly "aliased" pattern. A sane moire-reduction might assume that those jagged edges are caused by poor aa-filtering, and try to smooth them out. A 4-year-old would recognize the (unprocessed) image as that of a Lego castle.

-h
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:26:12 am by hjulenissen »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up