Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken Monitor? Help  (Read 1686 times)

dmerger

Broken Monitor? Help
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:13 pm »

I have two monitors (monitor 1 and 2).  Both were working fine.  I left my computer running, and after a couple of hours went back to my computer. Monitor 1 (my primary display) would light up but there was no picture.  I rebooted, tried another spare boot HD, but still no picture, not even during boot up.  I switched my monitors so that monitor 2 is now my primary display and monitor 1 is my secondary display.  Monitor 2 works fine, but still no picture on monitor 1.  It lights up, just no picture.

It appears to me that the problem is with the monitor, and not any other hardware problem.  It’s an inexpensive Acer that is a few years old, so I can easily replace it.  Before doing so, I thought I’d ask here to see if anyone has any other recommendation.   

Vista 64 bit, Nvidia Gt 430.
Dean Erger

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Broken Monitor? Help
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:22:17 am »

Don't forget to check if it's a cable fault.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:12:42 am »

Does it show the on screen configuration menu ?
i have  had a couple Dell's and an Acer that  went to sleep on me because of an EDID issue. i had to switch to analog connection for a while.
Frank

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:08:10 am »

no
Dean Erger

Doug Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:05:28 pm »

I would use the same cable and same video card port to test both monitors.  If just that one monitor is still bad but the other one works fine, then I would feel pretty confident the problem is with the monitor itself.

Doug

dmerger

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys.  It turns out it is my monitor after all. :'(  On the bright side, however, it's my inexpensive Acer I need to replace, not my expensive NEC.  :)
Dean Erger
Pages: [1]   Go Up