Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Canon Full Frame Dslr?  (Read 25598 times)

MarkSe

Which Canon Full Frame Dslr?
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »

I`m looking for a new Canon Dslr to replace my trusty old 5d. I´m shooting mostly architecture and landscape with ts-e lenses. (exclusively iso 100 and tripod). I`m not sure if i should get a 5dII or a 6d. I have to say that i don`t really care about all the new bells and whistles the 6d offers like wifi or gps. I`m only interested in image quality
So my question is: Is the 6d better than the 5dII in terms of image quality when shooting at iso 100? (sharpness, colors, tonal range, dynamic range, noise & banding noise- also when recovering shadows in acr etc.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:52:11 pm by Mark* »

Photomatic

Re: Which Canon Full Frame Dslr?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

I was looking at both myself and went with the 5D Mark III. I do mostly landscapes but wanted the speed to do some wildlife photography. It's a big step up from my Rebel XTi.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:39:28 pm »

Mark* the 5D II will very adequately suit your needs.
If your photographic needs are a bit more omnivorous then the 5D III has a great combination of image quality, excellent autofocus, and shoots 6 fps.

Tony Jay

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:02:21 pm »

Mark, it seems to me that you'd be better served with the 6D. If your main activities involve shooting in dusty environments or under the rain, then get the 5D3. The 6D is cheaper, lighter, smaller and sees better in the dark. The Wi-fi would be great to look at pictures in a tablet. According to some latest reviews, the 6D seems to have a slight (very) edge in noise over the 5D3. Probably nothing to show on a print but it's there. With the price difference you can get a new Sigma A 35mm f1.4. A superb wide-angle lens, better than Canon's or Zeiss'.
I have a 5D2 and waiting for Canon's first FF dslr with a swivel screen.
Eduardo

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

I`m looking for a new Canon Dslr to replace my trusty old 5d. I´m shooting mostly architecture and landscape with ts-e lenses. (exclusively iso 100 and tripod). I`m not sure if i should get a 5dII or a 6d. I have to say that i don`t really care about all the new bells and whistles the 6d offers like wifi or gps. I`m only interested in image quality
So my question is: Is the 6d better than the 5dII in terms of image quality when shooting at iso 100? (sharpness, colors, tonal range, dynamic range, noise & banding noise- also when recovering shadows in acr etc.)

By most accounts "some."  Those trying to quantify say a half stop my dynamic range.  I haven't heard anything about a thicker/thinner AA filter so focus I don't know. 
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:33 pm »

The mk3 has a built in level and if you're shooting architecture you'll like this feature.

lb311

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54:15 am »

I'm expecting my new 6D to arrive today (to replace my original 5D).  I, too, mainly just shoot landscapes and architecture.  While I was hoping the 6D would have a swivel screen, the reviews I've heard thus far about the in-camera wifi hotspot and smartphone app make this a compelling alternative.  If I can't have a swivel screen to aid my ultra-low-angle focusing, being able to use my iPhone screen will be the next-best thing and certainly better than an angle finder.

The 5D was the perfect size and fit for my hands.  Never went to the Mk II or III due to their increased size and weight, so I'm looking forward to the lighter weight 6D-- especially on long hikes!

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:23:34 pm »

While it is a good alternative, wi-fi is 10 times less convenient than having a swivel for odd places. I won't upgrade my trusted 5D2 till Canon comes with a Sony Exmor type sensor or releases a FF body with swivel screen. Whichever comes first.
Eduardo

I'm expecting my new 6D to arrive today (to replace my original 5D).  I, too, mainly just shoot landscapes and architecture.  While I was hoping the 6D would have a swivel screen, the reviews I've heard thus far about the in-camera wifi hotspot and smartphone app make this a compelling alternative.  If I can't have a swivel screen to aid my ultra-low-angle focusing, being able to use my iPhone screen will be the next-best thing and certainly better than an angle finder.

The 5D was the perfect size and fit for my hands.  Never went to the Mk II or III due to their increased size and weight, so I'm looking forward to the lighter weight 6D-- especially on long hikes!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:59 am »

The mk3 has a built in level and if you're shooting architecture you'll like this feature.

So does the 6D.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:30 am »

For your needs, the 6D will be more thn enough. As others have said, unless you ned the specs of the 5DMKIII, the 6D is a hell of a camera. I bought one for travel, landscape, and documentary photography that I normally do. Very happy with it.

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:42 am »

Did you get your camera yet?

I went with 6d over 5d ii.  Even if you don't care about wifi and GPS which I agree is less important than good image quality, the 6d has better low light performance and better autofocusing capabilities in low light.  You are trading off 5% megapixel and the 1/8000 shutter speed.  5% mega pixel less is just over 2% line resolution, negligible in my opinion, and will you ever use 1/8000 shutter speed?  The only time I ever used that was when I was shooting the Transit of Venus.  The wifi capability is a nifty feature, one that I've used many times however.
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:30 am »

I have all the canon full-frame cameras and as of December 2012, I use the 6D the most frequently. Ignore megapixel count and the other numbers, it's all marketing. Prints up to 40x60 on all the canon FF bodies are nearly identical (even the original 5D).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:20:40 am by Graham Clark »
Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com

Atina

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:16:42 am »

I have all the canon full-frame cameras and as of December 2012, I use the 6D the most frequently. Ignore megapixel count and the other numbers, it's all marketing. Prints up to 40x60 on all the canon FF bodies are nearly identical (even the original 5D).

What do you think about Canon EOS-1D C and 1DX? How do those to compare to the other full-frame Canon bodies?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:40:06 am »

What do you think about Canon EOS-1D C and 1DX?

The 1 D X is excellent. I love mine.

if you are primarily going to shooting video the 1D C is a better choice as that is what it is primarily designed for. 

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07:32 am »

What do you think about Canon EOS-1D C and 1DX? How do those to compare to the other full-frame Canon bodies?
I have had most of Canon's Ds series, the X is a stunningly good camera. Nothing out there 35mm I would swop it for.
Video on all Canons I find disappointing. I think in many ways my Sony RX100 video is just as good as the X.
The C would be a different ball game altogether, but at that stupid price if I was shooting enough video to spend that amount, I would get a video camera. The C is niche to the extreme.
I couldn't see where a 5DIII offered anything that mattered over a 5DII or I might of jumped on a 5DIII and not the X.
When I tried to micro adjust my lenses on the X, out of the box was spot on, the 1DsIII they were all over the place.
Kevin.

chez

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:28 am »

The 5d2 can be had for $1200 used. Between the 5d2, 6d and 5d3 image quality is identical for landscapes. The 6d and 5d3 add features that are not required for landscape photography. Save the bucks, go with a lightly used 5d2.

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 12:22:00 pm »

The 5d2 can be had for $1200 used. Between the 5d2, 6d and 5d3 image quality is identical for landscapes. The 6d and 5d3 add features that are not required for landscape photography. Save the bucks, go with a lightly used 5d2.

agreed

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »

Obviously, for anyone who already has a shedload of Canon lenses, the choice is limited.

But, from serious printed magazine reviews (as opposed to the nonsense you find on the internut), the Nikon D600 is grinding the Canon 6D into the ground and there never has been any competition between the Nikon D800 and the Canon 5D3. However, these things are cyclical. It is only a matter of time (possible just a few months) before Canon leapfrogs Nikon again and, thus, the cycle continues.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 03:58:42 pm »

Obviously, for anyone who already has a shedload of Canon lenses, the choice is limited.

But, from serious printed magazine reviews (as opposed to the nonsense you find on the internut), the Nikon D600 is grinding the Canon 6D into the ground and there never has been any competition between the Nikon D800 and the Canon 5D3. However, these things are cyclical. It is only a matter of time (possible just a few months) before Canon leapfrogs Nikon again and, thus, the cycle continues.

I don't think the competition is real - it's fake. The original 5D and the 800e produce nearly the same quality with regards to prints, even up to 40x60.

Graham

TMARK

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 04:21:09 pm »

I don't think the competition is real - it's fake. The original 5D and the 800e produce nearly the same quality with regards to prints, even up to 40x60.

Graham

I think this is mostly true.  At print sizes up to 20x30" I see no significant difference between a D800e and 5D2.  In a print.  On screen, cropping, file depth for working in post, DR, yes, but not in the end print.  I will also say I don't see much between teh D800 and Aptus 75s not attributable to the look and format of the lenses and sensor size.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up