Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help Leaf Aptus Frozen!  (Read 15899 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Please Help Leaf Aptus Frozen!
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 05:23:56 pm »

Simon, I have D800 too.
I like the nikon, but I have some nostalgic feeling about work with MFDB and my Mamiya RZ, I love the slow down and thinking more about the picture.
Nikon is good because in my case, auto focus help a lot, but in future I will like change all to a H4x with IQ 260 or some like that.
This config is very expensive, but I feel that new MFDB delivery more 3D and rich images than DSLR.

Other thing, D800 and C1 is very slow, with aptus files C1 works much more fast and consistent.
I think with new generation IQ/Credo is much much better, not only file size, but flexibility for ajustments.

Andrea - I'm glad you pointed out your reasons for valuing your Leaf (flogged dead horse?) solution, though you shouldn't have to. I don't understand why someone feels their own personal reasons for not wanting to use a product should supersede someone else's reasons for wanting to use a product.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

andreagenor

• André Agenor Photography
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 05:48:18 pm »

Andrea - I'm glad you pointed out your reasons for valuing your Leaf (flogged dead horse?) solution, though you shouldn't have to. I don't understand why someone feels their own personal reasons for not wanting to use a product should supersede someone else's reasons for wanting to use a product.

I don't know if I understand right, because my English is very bad. Sorry :(
Do you can explain in more simple way?

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 05:50:36 pm »

Hello,

Steve it is not my intention to tell other photographers not to use MFDB’s I am just conveying my reasons why I have decided to stop using them.

At a end of of the day I don’t care what other photographers want to shoot with but as this is a open forum I have the right to voice my opinions on what I think is right for me and my business.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 06:08:52 pm »

Hello,

Steve it is not my intention to tell other photographers not to use MFDB’s I am just conveying my reasons why I have decided to stop using them.

At a end of of the day I don’t care what other photographers want to shoot with but as this is a open forum I have the right to voice my opinions on what I think is right for me and my business.

Cheers

Simon

I am totally ok with a photographer choosing to not use MFD - and maybe it was just the way you worded it, but -

"My point is I think Andrea is flogging a dead horse when it comes to her MFB and should consider a different alternative in what brand of camera equipment she decides to use in the future."

This as worded is an opinion - and a pretty strong one at that - but it is based on knowing very little, if anything about her reasons for using MFD. And so it appears by default you inserted your reasons.

I don't talk anyone into MFD. If anything, I talk more people out of it than into it. It's not for everyone. But before I talk them out of it, or agree that they should go forward with it, I have to invest a significant amount of time and discussion over why they are considering it. This just seems to get lost here, sometimes.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

bcooter

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »

I don't talk anyone into MFD. If anything..........
Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve,

I think your speaking to deaf ears.

For some reason people that have moved away from one format to another, can't seem to do so happily, without denigrating their previous cameras.

I don't get it, because I can go down the list of cameras I own and except for a few exceptions give a very compelling reason for all formats in certain situations.

There is no holy grail of cameras and it seems the Nikon has raised such emotion I personally wouldn't buy one if it was half price and I have nothing against Nikon since I own most of their newer lenses, I just don't like the d800 that much, though for others they seem to.

As you know I inquired about buying a Hasselblad H5 system earlier this year and that's still on my radar.  The only hold back is the projects were are producing at the time require different cameras from RED's to 4/3's systems cameras.

That doesn't mean I don't like 35mm formats . . . well I guess I should put it another way. 

35mm format cameras have become very physically large and I'm not that wild about modern cmos sensors with continuous lighting sources, but they have their place, just like medium format has a place in the professional world.

With every 35mm new cmos system  I own and use I find the color very global with HMI's and especially softer daylight and I can expand on this, but what's the point?

I could also show in real world use how well even older medium format ccd files hold up but once again, what's the point as it would just be shouted down.

What I do know is from my older Contax/Phase to the new H5d, there is a world of difference in usability, file quality and post production.

The one constant I've seen about this nikon versus the world crusade is I've haven't noticed anyone that uses medium or any other format tell someone not to use the Nikon, though It seems a lot of Nikon users are the exact opposite.

This is just dp review stuff and I probably should not have brought it up.

IMO

BC

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »

Hi,

I have recently started shooting with a P45+ and a Hasselblad, and it is actually quite fun. Yeah, I bought that stuff used, and I could get a D800E with something like four very decent lenses for the same price. Now, I don't have a Nikon D800E so I cannot compare. Nevertheless I am pretty sure that going Nikon makes a lot of sense, although there have been some reports on issues with Nikon QC recently.

My investment in in MFD was around 15kUSD, and that would buy a lot of brand new Nikon stuff. No way around, MFD is expensive even if entry level prices go down.

From a rational viewpoint, I am a bit with Simon, but if you like working with MFD, the experience may be worth a lot.

Best regards
Erik

I am totally ok with a photographer choosing to not use MFD - and maybe it was just the way you worded it, but -

"My point is I think Andrea is flogging a dead horse when it comes to her MFB and should consider a different alternative in what brand of camera equipment she decides to use in the future."

This as worded is an opinion - and a pretty strong one at that - but it is based on knowing very little, if anything about her reasons for using MFD. And so it appears by default you inserted your reasons.

I don't talk anyone into MFD. If anything, I talk more people out of it than into it. It's not for everyone. But before I talk them out of it, or agree that they should go forward with it, I have to invest a significant amount of time and discussion over why they are considering it. This just seems to get lost here, sometimes.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Erik Kaffehr

HarperPhotos

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 01:48:41 am »

Hi Erik,

You summed up my view point perfectly.

“From a rational viewpoint”

Enjoy your summer.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd

Auckland, New Zealand

sbernthal

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 02:02:25 am »

Hello,

Cheers

Simon

If my memory serves me correctly, you had an RZ system, so very old camera and very old (relatively) back.
RZ is a great system for those who love the form factor and experience, but certainly it is hard to justify in this day and age vs. the modern bodies.
A new 645 body and new back would give you a very different experience than the one you had, although at a very different cost.
It seems you felt uninterested to throw any more money down that path a few years ago already.

The new 645 systems are still not as "flowy" as the newest 35mm's, but many find them quite adequate for their workflow.
It took me a good two years to fully acclimate to a more rigid system than a 35mm.
If you're holding the camera in your hand, or hunting moving subjects, I still think 35mm is the most reasonable way to go.
For static objects in controlled lighting, the MF is for me a delight, and I don't miss the 35mm anymore.

HarperPhotos

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:02 am »

Hello,

I had a Mamiya 645 AFDII system with all the lenses from the fisheye up to the 300mm.

Strangely enough it has taken me now up to two years to sell these relics on EBay where as the Mamiya RZ and Sinar P2 systems sold in a matter of months.

The first lenses to sell from the Mamiya 645 system where the old manual focus lenses.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd

Auckland, New Zealand

sbernthal

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 02:46:17 am »

AFD II does not support computer shutter release.

That's why it doesn't have high demand, along with slow auto focus and some other problems.

II is not what I meant by a new 645 body - it is four generations behind.

I don't know if you used D lenses, but those give a tangible difference to any 35mm lens, in sharpness at different apertures and parts of the frame.
Admittedly, I still haven't found an MF lens match to Canon 85L.

Lenses have generations too.
For instance:
120mm MF
120mm MF D
120mm AF
Each generation brought a breakthrough in closed aperture sharpness.

I would be surprised if you were using the latest lenses, considering you've already developed a distaste for it. My point is, that the new models of all parts - back, body, lens - give you some value for the upgrade money. Maybe for some users the improvements are not relevant, not worth it, or they actually can't find them, but they're there. It's not a hoax.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:28:20 am by sbernthal »

HarperPhotos

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 03:56:28 am »

Hello,

All my Nikon lenses a G's.

Sbernthal at the end of the day I don’t give a fuck what you thing. If your Mamiya gets you hard in the morning well that’s all good with me.

And yes I know Michael will tell me off.

Ciao

Simon
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:02:51 am by HarperPhotos »
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd

Auckland, New Zealand

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 04:23:34 am »

Hi,

I guess that Simon says that the Nikon stuff he uses suits him fine, works for him and save a lot of money (bound capital). Nobody needs to argue with that. I think it's pretty good information.

Now, other photographers may have other needs/wants/likes. Everyone chooses how to spend their money.

Best regards
Erik

Hello,

All my Nikon lenses a G's.

Sbernthal at the end of the day I don’t give a fuck what you thing. If your Mamiya gets you hard in the morning well that’s all good with me.

And yes I know Michael will tell me off.

Ciao

Simon
Erik Kaffehr

sgilbert

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 09:26:03 am »

You just have to love the level of decency and respect on the internet.

I wonder if people behave the same way in person? 

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:04 am »

Well, clearly Shlomi and Simon are at two different extremes.  ;)

But go figure. That's the nature of photography and the equipment choices people make. I would say no two are alike, but unfortunately, that's not true. But there are many, many subjective differences in the approach photographers take to imaging and to the equipment they prefer. I think that's what makes the world go round. I just don't think what does or doesn't work for one applies to someone else, unless you have a detailed sense of what is driving that person and their needs/desires.

Based on the significant amount of feedback Simon has provided right here on this forum, I would say he's made the right choice for himself.

BTW - interestingly, last year I sold more digital backs for RZ than the previous 4-5 years combined. But this year, my RZ fan base is down by comparison. Guess I saturated the market.

....At any rate, I hope Andrea was able to get her situation under control with the help of her (hopefully) trusty dealer.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up