Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Morning Steam  (Read 2016 times)

Tom Frerichs

Early Morning Steam
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »

I've heard rumors that car photographs may not be totally acceptable here, but I was wondering if trains fell into the same category.  (grin)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Early Morning Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:27:01 pm »

I like it. I do find myself wishing those two characters standing on the left behind the sign were a little more obvious as I think would help balance the shot. That said, there is a nice mystery about it. Very cartier-Bresson like.  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:43 am »

I like it, but I find the contrast - especially in the steam -  to be way too high.  It looks like someone cut out white steam patterns and pasted them on a black background.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:49:04 am »

I love the mood of this image.
The blown highlights of the steam being caught by the early morning steam actually work and add to this mood.
A grand image.

Tony Jay

stamper

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:23:30 am »

I've heard rumors that car photographs may not be totally acceptable here, but I was wondering if trains fell into the same category.  (grin)

No. Only lighthouses are banned. ;) I like the high contrast processing because it gives a sort of grim reality. Well done. :)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:38 am »

No. Only lighthouses are banned. ;) I like the high contrast processing because it gives a sort of grim reality. Well done. :)

AND cats!

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 05:12:04 am »

Are we talking puddy tats or Bengal tigers?

Tony Jay

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:22:53 am »

There's always the site's artistic dustbin thread: "Without prejudice"…
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:24:45 am »

Love the feel of this. Great image.

Peter

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:10:21 am »

I like this image. I like the subject and it's grittiness. I like the noise and how it contributes to the old-fashioned style. I like the contrast, but I do not like the large area of pure white in the smoke.  High contrast doesn't necessarily need to also mean you have large areas of clipped highlights. I would try to mask the smoke areas to see if a small amount of color or detail could be brought into that space.  The contrast in the rest of the image remains a really fabulous enhancement to the mood.  I would also consider a subtle tint to the B&W conversion but that is totally my prejudice.  
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:32:31 pm »

I like this image. I like the subject and it's grittiness. I like the noise and how it contributes to the old-fashioned style. I like the contrast, but I do not like the large area of pure white in the smoke.  High contrast doesn't necessarily need to also mean you have large areas of clipped highlights. I would try to mask the smoke areas to see if a small amount of color or detail could be brought into that space.  The contrast in the rest of the image remains a really fabulous enhancement to the mood.  I would also consider a subtle tint to the B&W conversion but that is totally my prejudice.  

I agree with all of that, particularly the lack of appeal of the big white area in the middle.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up