1. Connecticut has the most restrictive gun control in the nation.
the laws shall be nation wide, limiting laws to a state or a city does not solve the problem
2. The weapons were legally purchased by the school teacher mom.
and that is the problem - she shall not be able to do that and in such quantity...
3. They appear to have not been stored in such a way that an under aged (you must be 21 to own a handgun) child/friend/casual thief, or other could gain access to them.\
that is your guess only
5. They've learned the kid who did this has mental issues. There is no way he qualifies to own or have access to firearms with existing laws, though because of privacy advocates fighting which information can be entered in the national database used for gun checks I doubt there is one thing about this guy available to law enforcement.
1) they learned
2) yet you doubt
so there is a way learn legally, unless they learned that illegally now ?
6. Be careful of quoted statistics. More guns equal more gun deaths in the same way more humans equals more humans dying by natural means, or accidents, or in any other way people die. Statistics are not easy for the average person to understand.
what is to be careful about - more guns more deaths from guns, more people more deaths from natural causes = less people less deaths from natural causes, less guns less deaths from guns... however we can easily make less guns w/o any issues, unlike to make less people... so it is a no brainer...
With the information available as of now, none of the popular gun control methods would have prevented this shooting.
with the information available as of now, making it impossible for a law complying teacher to get any or so many of them would prevent that kind of massacre.
What would have worked in this case is proper storage of firearms thereby limiting access.
inability to get or have so many guns will work much better on top of proper storage requirements
If this was a law and it had failed, the only possible way to improve this specific situation was to have trained teachers with their own firearms as a first line defence. Fortunately the schools new policies are said to have prevented the shooter getting to even more victims.
the only possible way is to outlaw NRA, tax gun owners a lot, implement mandatory fingerprining and DNA collection, huge waiting period during the sales process, ban on line sales, criminal BC (yearly), drug testing (yearly), limit on how many you can own/limit automatic and semiautomatic weapons, implement mandatory insurance payments from guns manufactureres/dealers/owners to a fund to compensate victims and so on... you have the right, true - but we have the right to make it difficult for you.
Sadly all these recent shooting in the temples, malls, schools.. have very similar circumstances.
indeed, NRA reign of terror in the country.