Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clogged Epson 9880 Printer  (Read 7058 times)

lpajeans9880

Clogged Epson 9880 Printer
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »

I just purchased a used 9880 printer which has not been used for over 1 year for $1,000.

I am new to these Epson printers.

I have run the full nozzle test, and the printer is printing the 3 out the 4 blocks of colors - (black, cyan, and yellow).  The color between the cyan and yellow is only printing a few blocks of green.  

When I run the quick nozzle test which prints out each color of ink from the printer as a box with lines, only the third color, vivid magenta, does not print.

I have soaked a paper towel with windex, and moved the print head over the windex soaked paper towel, and left it there over night, but the nozzle print results persist.

I have sent for an e-printerhelp guide / document from Arthur Entlich on the Yahoo Epson Printer forum.

I have also posted this message on the Yahoo Epson Printer forum.  

I am looking for recommended steps to resolve my clogged Epson 9880 printer.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:46:57 pm by lpajeans9880 »

John Caldwell

Re: Clogged Epson 9880 Printer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:22:57 pm »

Have you run a nozzle cleaning from either the printer front panel or the Utility?

John Caldwell

lpajeans9880

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »

I have run nozzle cleaning from both the printer front panel and the Utility several times for each option.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »

Sounds like you've correctly tried the all the standard things.  To keep it simple, you may be looking at a head replacement, pump replacement, and possibly a replacement of the ink lines between the carts and the head.  IMHO, any of those would be a waste of money compared to buying a whole new printer on one of the many wide format printer end-of-year sales specials going on right now.  For instance you can "trade in" your 9880 for $1000 on a new Canon 8400, which also has a $1000 rebate (in the US).  And Epson has some deals, too.  Printer restorations are much less fun than actually using them.   :)

Was the printer sitting outside in a surplus yard, or was it stored in a hot location like a shipping container?  If so the ink in some of the lines or printing head may be petrified.  You can buy special carts full of inkjet embalming fluid to clean them out in that case, although there are reports of mixed success in doing so.

And even when you get that printer up and running, you are still going to have to deal with all too regular nozzle clogs.  I had a love/hate thing going with a 9880 for a few years, we finally got divorced.  But oh, could she ever print when she was in the mood!

lpajeans9880

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »

The printer was lightly used, and was kept in a home the entire time. 

lpajeans9880

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »

Oh, in addition, I also did the following steps to in an attempt to eliminate the clog:
  • pulled out all of ink cartridges, did a quick shake, and put the ink cartridge back in place
  • completed a power clean

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »

A few more thoughts,

You have listed a 9880, but mention green ink/color on the nozzle check.  The 9880 does not have a green cart, so if you are seeing green, it's a bleed issue between other colors, which may be a damper issue.  NOTE, if the printer was left for 1 year with ink in it, more than likely your problem is a damper clog.  The dampers are not that hard to replace on  the 9880 and I would look into that before a head replacement. 

Windex, I would stay away from it, the inks are aqueous, and water will do the same thing.  Windex has other agents that may or may not hurt the head.  If you go back to the extra long post on this site about "the 7900 from the inside out", there is mention on one of the pages of a Epson cleaner used by the tech's that you can purchase.  If you want to use a cleaner I would try that.

Your 9880 has two extra cleaning cycles, the Power Clean and whats called a SSCL,  (super Strong Cleaning Cycle)  I would try the Power clean option first, then the SSCL.  I can't remember the steps for the SSCL, but you launch it from the Utility panel on your computer.  Epson Tech support can step you through this.  Both take a lot of ink.  If you can't get a clean NZ check after both of these, then I would look to the dampers, and if that doesn't fix it, then the head. 

Lastly, clean off the wiper.  On the 9880, move the head out of the way, then look up inside towards the top.  You will see the wiper, a long black rubber strip.  More than likely yours is either worn out or dry and coated with old ink.  Wipe it off with warm water and and lint free cloth.  Look directly below the wiper and you will see the area where the head is parked.  It's a multi color felt looking patch.  Soak that with warm water also and then park the head back.  The water may help to free up a clog. 

Good luck, and hope you get it working.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up