Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One V7 and Lightroom.....  (Read 7260 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Capture One V7 and Lightroom.....
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:35:16 pm »

Hi all,

The background: I was a happy user of C1 V3 and then moved to Adobe. I still like Lightroom and ACR however with the issues with the X-Pro 1 and who knows when or if Adobe will fix it and the fact that C1 V7 will support the Fuji soon, I ended up purchasing V7 and now I am going through the video tutorials. etc.

I am curious if anyone has any good write ups about using C1 V7 with Lightroom for DAM...etc. Any thought of how to incorporate a workflow between the two? One of my reasons for asking is I have read and not really tried the DAM in C1 mostly because I have read it is not as robust as Lightroom. I know there was an article on this site for using C1 V4.8 and Lightroom 2 and using sessions and having Lightroom monitor a folder for the output of C1 to load into the catalog on Lightroom.

Is that a workable solution? Just curious if anyone has worked out a working solution between the two, just trying to shave some effort off of the learning curve.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Ronald NZ Tan

Re: Capture One V7 and Lightroom.....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:31:05 pm »

Good afternoon sir,

Since you purchased version 7, I think that you should go through the video tutorials to learnt and adapt yourself to the version 7 way of doing things. Like yourself, I have been a user of PhaseONE CaptureONE PRO since their version 3.7.8 days and happily upgraded to version 6, when my version 4 and 5 upgrades were applied.

To directly address your thoughts, I would try adapt your workflow to version 7. Just be warned that the cataloging of version 7 is still "iffy" and stability of C1PRO7 is questionable at best. Why did I still recommend version 7? Because despite the software inconveniences AND if you could bear the anomalies of version 7, it is still "usable." Notice the word in quotations. Version 7's processing engine is a vast improvement and worthy upgrade. Since you are already familiar with Lightroom's cataloging and working with LR's metadata handling, why not elect to export the changes in XMPs and configure C1PRO7 to "Fully Autosync" to read the metadata changes created from LR? I am on Windows 7 and on the Windows version of C1PRO7, there is an option to favor XMPs over other forms of metadata. You could specify the XMP-favor checked.

In summary, use LR to enter metadata and labels. Ensure that the color labels in LR and C1PRO are the same. For example, the color green in LR/ACR defaults to "Approved." While the green label appears as "Green" in C1PRO. Make sure your color labels read as colors. Once the color labels have a uniform text, export your metadata edits from LR as XMPs. C1PRO should be able to read the XMPs. This way, you can use LR to metadata use and the C1PRO7 to actually process the RAW files.

I hope that helped you and nor further confused you.

—Ronald

Hi all,

The background: I was a happy user of C1 V3 and then moved to Adobe. I still like Lightroom and ACR however with the issues with the X-Pro 1 and who knows when or if Adobe will fix it and the fact that C1 V7 will support the Fuji soon, I ended up purchasing V7 and now I am going through the video tutorials. etc.

I am curious if anyone has any good write ups about using C1 V7 with Lightroom for DAM...etc. Any thought of how to incorporate a workflow between the two? One of my reasons for asking is I have read and not really tried the DAM in C1 mostly because I have read it is not as robust as Lightroom. I know there was an article on this site for using C1 V4.8 and Lightroom 2 and using sessions and having Lightroom monitor a folder for the output of C1 to load into the catalog on Lightroom.

Is that a workable solution? Just curious if anyone has worked out a working solution between the two, just trying to shave some effort off of the learning curve.

Thanks,
Alan

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:29:16 pm »

As a session user, the workflow of Capture 7 is great.  I work on multiple machines and do not like the catalog idea.  It seems that for now Capture 7's catalog is not as robust as LR, but you can expect that to improve over time.  To me the key major changes to the processing engine and the quality of the output files. 

It's worth a 60 trial to see if the output is worth it.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify, I am quite happy with the raw processing, that is not the issue and it is not a matter of evaluating it, I already bought it. ;D I was looking for pointers to have some sort of workflow between the two, I like the database function of Lightroom, but their raw processing of the X-trans sensor leaves some room for improvement so I would like to combine the two in an efficient workflow. I have found in the past that sometimes different raw processor can be quite different, so having a workflow that will let me move between the two would be great. I still have all my Canon gear, which I also use.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Ronald NZ Tan

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »

If you like LR's cataloging and DAM features, I mentioned that you can embed metadata and organizing in LR and export the XMPs so that C1PRO can read your labels and ratings.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:43 pm »

Thanks Ronald I will give it a try...

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:57 am »

As a session user, the workflow of Capture 7 is great.  I work on multiple machines and do not like the catalog idea.  It seems that for now Capture 7's catalog is not as robust as LR, but you can expect that to improve over time.  To me the key major changes to the processing engine and the quality of the output files. 

It's worth a 60 trial to see if the output is worth it.

Paul

Actually Paul we have many more Catalog features than Lightroom.

- Shared Catalogs
- Work with multiple Catalogs at a time
- Work on "Offline" images.  Even make adjustments and edit metadata.
- Powerful virtual organisation with Projects, Groups, Albums and Smart Albums.

D

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:58:20 am »

"Many" is a bit of a stretch. I like the look of the shared catalogues and adjusting offline images, though opening multiple catalogues is a "be careful what you wish for" and I wouldn't cite "powerful virtual organisation with Projects, Groups, Albums and Smart Albums" as a differentiator. LR can also happily edit the metadata of offline images, plus its catalogues have "many" other features that don't exist in C1.

By the way, I enjoyed your talk at Holborn on Tuesday.

John

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:02:33 am »

"Many" is a bit of a stretch. I like the look of the shared catalogues and adjusting offline images, though opening multiple catalogues is a "be careful what you wish for" and I wouldn't cite "powerful virtual organisation with Projects, Groups, Albums and Smart Albums" as a differentiator. LR can also happily edit the metadata of offline images, plus its catalogues have "many" other features that don't exist in C1.

By the way, I enjoyed your talk at Holborn on Tuesday.

John

Hi John,

Ah - you should have come to say hello!

Yes, LR can edit meta data but not apply adjustments as in Capture One.

Personally, I think our virtual organisation is more flexible than Lightroom, but we can agree to disagree.  ;)

What 'many' other features are missing that you want to see?

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 08:37:04 am »

Someone got to you first! And I was eager to yomp along the canal on such a nice afternoon.

Right now, it strikes me that keywording is the biggest relative weakness. Is hierarchy possible? Synonyms, privacy? Maybe dig out iView's old controlled vocabulary feature. And stacking has many fans - have I overlooked that somewhere?

John

PS
Selecting more than one folder?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:45:12 am by johnbeardy »

KevinGSaunders

• KGS Studios
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 07:14:48 pm »

Hi David,

I bet you are just the person to help here. I need to put things in a working folder on my computer as I work with big composites, and as such huge folders. They need to then live on a NAS until needed again. What is your suggestion for this from a catalog perspective? I am happy to switch everything over from Lightroom to C1 if I can figure this out. Here is what I do:

Tethered in studio, to laptop on C1 7. Move to working computer. Process. Archive

In field, create session on working computer. Import from Aptus II 12. Process. Archive.

I do shoot with my Canon as well, so could go into C1 while it has been going straight to LR.

I need to create Tiffs in C1, so that is no biggie, and I need some watermarked and some non watermarked internet files.

Oh, I could be needing to process files on another workstation too, in C1 7. I still need things to live on the NAS, so they will need to be copied to the working computer and returned.

Thank you so much for your wisdom and advice.

Best,

Kevin
Kevin G Saunders
KGS Studios
Pages: [1]   Go Up