Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating NEC PA271W-BK with i1 display 2 & spectraview 2?  (Read 2376 times)

nikcap

Calibrating NEC PA271W-BK with i1 display 2 & spectraview 2?
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »

Hi,

I just bought the PA271W-BK. 

I heard that you need a specially tuned i1 display pro to get the best results with wide gamut calibration. 

The necdisplay.com site states Spectraview II is compatible with my i1 display 2 v1/2. 

Will my i1 display 2 work good enough to calibrate for prints using an Epson as well as output to Adorama print service? I'm not performing super highend prepress work so I am not looking to buy a new calibration device until the one I have stops working. 

Thanks.

Also, I am on OS X mountain lion and did not like installing Java SE runtime 6 because of security vulnerabilites.  Does Spectraview II need to be running at all times?  I was thinking of uninstalling Java once I calibrated the screen. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Calibrating NEC PA271W-BK with i1 display 2 & spectraview 2?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »

That instrument will work fine. As to getting a match, possible yes, once you get the settings dialed in for that visual match. You need an output profile (used at printing) for soft proofing.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Fisher

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:04:24 pm »

You need to let the SpectraView II run on boot up so that it is loading the values into the monitor's LUT each time you boot up.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:16:43 pm by Doug Fisher »

chrismurphy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »

I heard that you need a specially tuned i1 display pro to get the best results with wide gamut calibration.

That used to be the case with the previous colorimeters, with the pros, both NEC and X-Rite branded colorimeters are appropriate.

The necdisplay.com site states Spectraview II is compatible with my i1 display 2 v1/2. 

Which does not have the calibration matrix that applies to NEC wide gamut displays, but the SpectraView II software accounts for this so you aren't going to get a bad calibration, it'll still be quite good.

My recommendation is to use NEC MultiProfiler for this display for starters. It's free, and uses the calibration data already in the display, custom measured at assembly. If you think you need better results at some point you can buy more hardware. At least in my case I'm getting such good results with Multiprofiler I'm hard pressed to confirm/deny that it's significantly better with a measuring device.

Will my i1 display 2 work good enough to calibrate for prints using an Epson as well as output to Adorama print service? I'm not performing super highend prepress work so I am not looking to buy a new calibration device until the one I have stops working. 

NEC MultiProfiler. Google it, it's not that easy to find through the NEC web site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up