Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CaptureONE 7 (C1PRO7) Catalog Feature Request  (Read 3885 times)

Ronald NZ Tan

CaptureONE 7 (C1PRO7) Catalog Feature Request
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:37:40 pm »

Greetings and salutations—

I am new to the forums here and would have to earn my stripes to be acknowledged as a regular. I know this site and forum is predominantly "landscape," as per the title of the forum. I specialized in portraiture, men's fashion, beauty, and fine-art.

I am hoping to appeal the the C1PRO users in this specific forum regarding the following feature request for the cataloging functions of C1PRO7.

1) Copy and Delete: When instructed to catalog a certain folder into the specific "Import to Catalog" option, C1PRO7 will simply move the files into its organizational architecture in the "Originals" folder. In current 7.0.1, when you import, C1PRO7 simply copies the files into its "Originals" folder.

2) Check for duplicates: Suppose you forget to delete the residual files from (1) because C1PRO7 has successfully copied into the Originals folder. What if you forget to delete the residual files? When you absentmindedly tried to import again, C1PRO7 should check for duplicates to PREVENT creating unnecessary copies.

Lightroom has these features during the import state. I think my feature requests are sound and practical features to evolve the cataloging functions of C1PRO7. I recently logged into my account to submit a ticket for the feature. If you think my requests are practical, please log into your P1 accounts and submit similar feature requests.

Thank you for your time.

Yours warmest sincerity,

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan
PHOTOGRAPHER

http://ronaldnztan.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: CaptureONE 7 (C1PRO7) Catalog Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:17:29 pm »

Both reasonable requests, and very clearly stated, for features to add to the Catalog.

Given that v7.0 was the first version of Capture One to include cataloging, I have no doubt more features will be added to flesh out it's functionality.

Ronald NZ Tan

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:24 pm »

Thank you sir.

I was hoping that, if anyone who concurs with me are willing to login to their P1 accounts and submit similar requests. Requests for evolved function are great in numbers. I have been using C1PRO since version 3.7.8 and have seen its evolution, while remaining consistent to "what is the world's best photography is made of."

Both reasonable requests, and very clearly stated, for features to add to the Catalog.

Given that v7.0 was the first version of Capture One to include cataloging, I have no doubt more features will be added to flesh out it's functionality.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09:50 am »

Hi Ronald,

2) actually already exists. ;)

Files that already exist wont be imported.

With regards to 1) we find that most customers don't use this functionality, purely as we all like to do a 'sanity' check when the import has completed and then manually delete the images.

Equally if you don't want to copy image files inside the catalog, you can reference them at their current location.

David.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

jeanvalentin

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:16 am »

With regards to 1) we find that most customers don't use this functionality, purely as we all like to do a 'sanity' check when the import has completed and then manually delete the images....

If the feature doesn't currently exists in the software, obviously you will "find" the most customers don't use it (curious how the few use it though, since it doesn't exist).

I noticed that when somebody suggests a feature, the first responses are "people don't use it" or "people don't need it". Unless you poll ALL your current users for EVERY suggestion made, I doubt you know if your users will use it if available or need it. I've had C1 for a very long time. I don't recall receiving any polls.
Best,
Valentin

Ronald NZ Tan

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:14:05 pm »

Hi David,

I don't think we have bumped into each other in either this or the official User-to-User P1 forum.

I wrote to Tech Support and was told that (2), the duplicity check has existed on the MACs. I am on a PC. That is another thing heavily bugs me: the difference between C1PRO functionality on MACs and PCs. The following example is a great way to make a point or giving a strong argument towards platform uniformity. If you click on this link: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13550&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15, I was going crazy. I couldn't find the functionality Paul was telling me about. Because I posted the thread in the PC version of C1PRO7, I had assumed that everyone engaging me on correspondence are also on a PC. Finally Paul agreed with me that my request would be a great feature for the PC version of C1PRO7.

Getting back to my original request for evolved cataloging functionality, perhaps "copy-and-delete" was poor choice of words. I should have elected to use "MOVE" instead. I thought, in terms of basic computing, when files are "moved," they are being copied and expunged at the core. I asked this request because Lightroom has it since it came out in almost seven years ago.

To re-summarize, I started this thread because I know there are several dedicated C1PRO users and in order for feature requests to be considered, the requests must have votes. I am hoping to win your agreement and vote for the feature requests in a close, next point update of C1PRO7. When you vote, you have to log into your P1 account and write to Tech Support either referencing this thread or completely re-composing the same requests.

Hi Ronald,

2) actually already exists. ;)

Files that already exist wont be imported.

With regards to 1) we find that most customers don't use this functionality, purely as we all like to do a 'sanity' check when the import has completed and then manually delete the images.

Equally if you don't want to copy image files inside the catalog, you can reference them at their current location.

David.

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:09:41 am »

If the feature doesn't currently exists in the software, obviously you will "find" the most customers don't use it (curious how the few use it though, since it doesn't exist).

I noticed that when somebody suggests a feature, the first responses are "people don't use it" or "people don't need it". Unless you poll ALL your current users for EVERY suggestion made, I doubt you know if your users will use it if available or need it. I've had C1 for a very long time. I don't recall receiving any polls.

We regularly poll our user base.

Like any market research we don't poll every single person.  The system takes a random selection of people in each country and then compiles the list.  We carried out a huge amount of surveying during the building of Capture One Pro 7.

If you have downloaded a trial of Capture One Pro 7, then you will also receive a poll during your trial period asking for your opinion.  Part of that poll has a free text area so you can write whatever is on your mind.

So I would encourage you to fill that in.

David

David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 07:19:12 am »

Hi David,

I don't think we have bumped into each other in either this or the official User-to-User P1 forum.

I wrote to Tech Support and was told that (2), the duplicity check has existed on the MACs. I am on a PC. That is another thing heavily bugs me: the difference between C1PRO functionality on MACs and PCs. The following example is a great way to make a point or giving a strong argument towards platform uniformity. If you click on this link: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13550&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15, I was going crazy. I couldn't find the functionality Paul was telling me about. Because I posted the thread in the PC version of C1PRO7, I had assumed that everyone engaging me on correspondence are also on a PC. Finally Paul agreed with me that my request would be a great feature for the PC version of C1PRO7.

Getting back to my original request for evolved cataloging functionality, perhaps "copy-and-delete" was poor choice of words. I should have elected to use "MOVE" instead. I thought, in terms of basic computing, when files are "moved," they are being copied and expunged at the core. I asked this request because Lightroom has it since it came out in almost seven years ago.

To re-summarize, I started this thread because I know there are several dedicated C1PRO users and in order for feature requests to be considered, the requests must have votes. I am hoping to win your agreement and vote for the feature requests in a close, next point update of C1PRO7. When you vote, you have to log into your P1 account and write to Tech Support either referencing this thread or completely re-composing the same requests.

Hi Ronald,

Now we haven't bumped into each other until now.

You are right and I apologise.  I didn't carry out my own sanity check when thinking about platforms.

With regards to moving files, technically that doesn't happen in a catalog with managed files.  What you are really doing is 'importing' which etiquette would dictate that the files are copied.

As Lightroom does not have the ability to have fully managed files (i.e. inside the catalog database file) the Lightroom behaviour is somewhat different and cannot be compared, in my opinion.

Within Capture One, if we are copying from memory card then I would argue it is not a completely necessary step to delete the contacts of the card.  Far better to format the card once it is placed back in the camera for fresh images.

If we are referencing files in their current location, then no action is required.

If we want to reference them in a different location to they currently are, move them from within the file system of your computer, and then initiate the import process.

Just some suggestions which I hope are helpful.

David
David Grover

Ronald NZ Tan

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:56:22 pm »

Hi David. Hi Lionel (in case you happen to stumble on this thread).

I have figured out a working solution to the request. The solution is the already Import Dialog's "Delete After Import" option. I am exploring the catalog features of 7.0.1 and if I am importing from internal or external drives/directories, the "Delete After Import" cannot be selected.

Make it available to check the box next to "Delete After Import" regardless of the importing source medium.

—Ron

Hi Ronald,

Now we haven't bumped into each other until now.

You are right and I apologise.  I didn't carry out my own sanity check when thinking about platforms.

With regards to moving files, technically that doesn't happen in a catalog with managed files.  What you are really doing is 'importing' which etiquette would dictate that the files are copied.

As Lightroom does not have the ability to have fully managed files (i.e. inside the catalog database file) the Lightroom behaviour is somewhat different and cannot be compared, in my opinion.

Within Capture One, if we are copying from memory card then I would argue it is not a completely necessary step to delete the contacts of the card.  Far better to format the card once it is placed back in the camera for fresh images.

If we are referencing files in their current location, then no action is required.

If we want to reference them in a different location to they currently are, move them from within the file system of your computer, and then initiate the import process.

Just some suggestions which I hope are helpful.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up