Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zion National Park - Mid December  (Read 5552 times)

rickruss

Zion National Park - Mid December
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »

I am heading to Zion next weekend to photograph and would appreciate any suggestions as to what to shoot and when to shoot it.  I am shooting large format (4x5 - probably Provia, but will also bring Acros) and my photography partner will be shooting a medium format digital camera.  I am a hiker and will have the appropriate layers of clothes and appropriate water resistant hiking boots.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

PDobson

Re: Zion National Park - Mid December
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:41:09 am »

If you're lucky enough to get any snowfall, go through the Carmel tunnel and check out the eastside. It's easy to wander around there and a completely different landscape than the canyon. The petrified dunes are very pretty covered in ice and snow.

Phillip

masl

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:05 pm »

second the eastern or western plateaus of the canyon (though Kolob Reservoir Rd may not be open) and while you're up there spend at least a day at Bryce (likely much more snow).  The hike up to Observation Point won't be as treacherous as Angel's Landing for a 'view from the top' but bring some rope & crampons just in case.  Nearly a new moon so star trail opportunities exist...  If you've never been to Zion, spend some time early on scoping the valley up to the narrows and absolutely check out East Zion.  I'm hoping to get up there or to monument valley over Christmas.
-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:00:54 pm »

If you're lucky enough to get any snowfall, go through the Carmel tunnel and check out the eastside. It's easy to wander around there and a completely different landscape than the canyon. The petrified dunes are very pretty covered in ice and snow.

Phillip

Nice one!
A common woman~

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »

PDobson

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:17:03 pm »

Thank you Patricia.

A big storm had just rolled through and left dozens of beautiful ice lines.  This flow was right by the road before Checkerboard. The storm completely ruined our plans for rock climbing, but tried offering this untouched ice in its stead. If only I hadn't left my ice gear back in Montana... I won't make that mistake again.

Phillip

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 04:13:30 am »

Here's what Zion looked like yesterday on the way down from Walter's Wiggles:

I turned back from the final slope to Angel's Landing - it was downright scary without crampons and I'm surprised that only 6 people have died there since 2001. I wandered along the West Rim instead where I saw this frozen waterfall:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:44:58 am by markadams99 »

The Ute

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 07:09:15 am »

The link below shows some photos taken this past Sat. :

https://picasaweb.google.com/109721757058432487394/Zion2#

The shot taken under the pine creek bridge is an unsual location.

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

The classic shot down the Virgin River from the bridge looks quite good with snow in the winter.
It is shown below in the first week of November.

Angels Landing is spectacular but crampons and a belay rope are recommended to get there this time of year.
If you're not an experienced climber I wouldn't recommend it.

Bryce in many ways is a far better photo location in winter.

For more info see http://wyofoto.com/Photo_maps/Zion_NP/Deluxe_Zion_Photoguide_PDF.html

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:53 pm »

I turned back from the final slope to Angel's Landing - it was downright scary without crampons and I'm surprised that only 6 people have died there since 2001.

From a friend from yesterday....

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 06:12:38 pm »

The classic shot down the Virgin River from the bridge looks quite good with snow in the winter.
It is shown below in the first week of November.

The same shot from a few days ago.  From a non-photographer friend.  Notice the effect of the 2010 floods on the riparian vegetation and the scene.  IMHO, it's not nearly as compelling as it used to be.

Pages: [1]   Go Up