Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: outdoor photography on the run  (Read 1108 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
outdoor photography on the run
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:25:51 pm »

The feedback from the photographers on this site has been helping me improve more than anything else I've tried.

So, in hopes of your opening my eyes to the artistic possibilities of the telephoto range in nature photography, here are my top 3 picks from a first time out with a new lens. Let me know what you think.

I have to admit that balancing optimal exposure and DOF, and then focussing this beast of a lens on moving targets was not the easiest thing I've every done. I'll also try posting a little technical/field review over on camera gear forum in case anyone's interested in a setup that is light enough to run with it.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: outdoor photography on the run
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »

VERY quickly, the sparrow in the first shot has a red pipe arising out her butt, the two cattle in the second image are cropped too tightly, and the third image hold some promise but I wouldn't put the goldfinches in the middle of the frame and I don't think you need to include the dead thistle stalks on the right.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

gerafotografija

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:11:30 pm »

Wow, really quick, to the point response. I wish I had noticed all the above before asking. Thanks!

gerafotografija

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:10:46 am »

Ok, I went back to the drawing board and came up with the following.

The cows were clearly a lost cause. Apparently there is not much you can do to make a bucolic view more exciting.

Even to my untrained eye, the finches benefited from your advice Mike. As a bonus, I added my first largish-scale panorama - I was feeling ambitious and used 7 stitched images taken with the long lens.

Fire away.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:33:20 am by gerafotografija »
Pages: [1]   Go Up