Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Books at the local public library  (Read 32021 times)

Isaac

Re: photography book acquisitions
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 12:11:34 pm »

"…with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

stamper

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 03:55:47 am »

Do you mean to express a personal dislike of puppies as photo content or …?

"…with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Amen. ;D

Isaac

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 07:21:18 am »

Be more charitable, it's OK to prefer kittens.

BobDavid

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:29 am »

The most useful book for learning studio lighting: Light--Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting -- "The effective size of the light source... Three types of reflection... the family of angles..."

It is an excellent primer.

Isaac

Minor White: Manifestations of the Spirit
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »

Minor White: Manifestations of the Spirit -- The superficial meaning is descriptive; the underlying meaning is symbolic; and the ultimate meaning is intensely personal and thus the most elusive.

One Woman 100 Faces -- Over the course of 22 years, Alberto has photographed Mitzi in endless fantastical guises, from otherworldy creatures to sculpture … Make-up and hair, inextricably linked create a powerful illusion that only survives in the photograph.

Cindy Sherman -- the artist's work recorded in photographs.

101 Top Tips for Digital Landscape Photography: Capturing great landscapes with your camera -- Suitable for new and improving photographers.

Empire -- …twenty-one states, hundreds of miles, 9,000 sheets of exposed 4x5 film … a vast array of items, indiscriminantly selected -- random commonplace things…

Adobe Master Class: Photoshop Inspiring artwork and tutorials by established and emerging artists

Adobe Master Class: Advanced Compositing in Photoshop: Bringing the Impossible to Reality
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:53:43 pm by Isaac »

stamper

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 04:17:30 am »

Minor White: Manifestations of the Spirit -- The superficial meaning is descriptive; the underlying meaning is symbolic; and the ultimate meaning is intensely personal and thus the most elusive.

One Woman 100 Faces -- Over the course of 22 years, Alberto has photographed Mitzi in endless fantastical guises, from otherworldy creatures to sculpture … Make-up and hair, inextricably linked create a powerful illusion that only survives in the photograph.

Cindy Sherman -- the artist's work recorded in photographs.

101 Top Tips for Digital Landscape Photography: Capturing great landscapes with your camera -- Suitable for new and improving photographers.

Empire -- …twenty-one states, hundreds of miles, 9,000 sheets of exposed 4x5 film … a vast array of items, indiscriminantly selected -- random commonplace things…

Adobe Master Class: Photoshop Inspiring artwork and tutorials by established and emerging artists

Adobe Master Class: Advanced Compositing in Photoshop: Bringing the Impossible to Reality

Isaac I take it you have read these books and can personally recommend them .... or some of them .... or even one of them?

Isaac

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 09:21:10 am »

I've read them.

I take it you only expect me to reciprocate your un-helpfulness.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:27:27 pm by Isaac »

jwstl

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 11:46:56 am »

I've reported your post to the moderators as is seems you are adamant on ruining another thread with your insults.

michael

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 11:52:54 am »

1: Less aggression in postings please.

2: Thicker skin when reading.

Please. Otherwise good threads get locked and disappear.

Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 12:37:39 pm »

I've reported your post to the moderators as is seems you are adamant on ruining another thread with your insults.

Who are you referring to? Isaac or Stamper?

Richowens

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 01:01:55 pm »

All I see here is a little brotherly banter, although a little juvenile.

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »

Please. Otherwise good threads get locked and disappear.

It is a pity that the practical response to people who get their fun from derailing or disrupting a discussion is to close the discussion -- they win.

But I don't really have a better suggestion: 5-day no-posting penalty?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:01:38 pm by Isaac »

Isaac

Digital Photography Masterclass
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »

A History of Life in 100 Fossils -- beautiful photographs illuminate the significance of these amazing pieces - photograph as illustration

A Painter's Progress: A Portrait of Lucian Freud -- These photographs reveal in a most intimate way the subjects and the stages of paintings in progress. - photograph as record

Digital Photography Masterclass -- An information-packed mass-market manual that expects more from the reader.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:53:16 pm by Isaac »

NancyP

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »

I need to re-read "Light: Science and Magic" and try to replicate set-ups for practice.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:22 am »

Many of us on LuLa seem only to shoot, post, and talk about available light pictures. But there's a whole world out there that can open up to you if you learn to use strobes. I'm not talking about pack and heads or monolights. That's basically studio stuff, though most pros haul them to on-site shoots if they need them. But speedlights are easy to carry, and nowadays they're powerful and flexible. With relatively inexpensive but reliable and easy to use radio controls such as the Phottix Odin system you can hide them behind things or set them to shoot through windows and, as Gene Smith said, make them "available light."

In the past couple years I've read an awful lot of stuff on the use of flash, and I've done a bunch work with my Nikon strobes. There are some really good books on the subject out there, but the best ones I've run across are Joe McNally's: The Moment it Clicks, Hot Shoe Diaries, and Sketching Light. Joe also has a collection of two DVDs "The Language of Light" that are well worth sitting through.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

NancyP

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 02:07:30 pm »

Does McNally talk in general terms that "even a Canonista can understand"?   ;D

I am looking into triggers and an extra flash, after attending a good Saturday seminar on flash by wildlife photographer Greg Basco, who returns to St. Louis on occasion to visit family.

Are you happy with your Phottix Odin and do you use the matching Mitros flash?  I have considered starting with the ordinary Phottix Stratos inexpensive trigger and another el-cheapo manual flash in addition to the 580 EXII I have already. Not having to  putz with "is my optical detector in line of sight" would seem to be an advantage outside the studio.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 03:06:49 pm »

McNally is a Nikon guy, but if you know anything at all about the Canon lineup you'll realize that Canon has almost identical equipment under slightly different names: Nikon: "speedlight," Canon: "speedlite." That's how much difference there is between the company's flash equipment. For instance, Nikon has the SU-800 infrared wireless controller. Canon has the ST-E3. Both do essentially the same thing. In his books, McNally concentrates on the principles of flash. Most of the equipment he mentions is Nikon stuff, but he also gets into heavy studio equipment like pack and head and monolights when that's appropriate. Besides that, McNally has a terrific sense of humor, and it's a real pleasure to read his stuff. Sometimes I'm ROTFL.

So far, the Odin has performed flawlessly for me. The range of the thing is astonishing, and it doesn't have quirks like the Pocket Wizard, which requires a specific turn-on sequence if it's to work at all, and sometimes fails even when you follow the sequence. I don't have a Mitros, though I've thought about it. I have two Nikon SB-910's, an SB-700, and an SB-600, a collection that gets the job done. One of the things I like about the Odin is that the way its controller works is close to the way the SU-800 works.

Since I don't charge for the shoots I do in and around the retirement community where I spend winters, I don't have to worry about anybody telling me what they think the result should be. I used flashbulbs in the fifties and barely competent strobes in the sixties. Both were a pain in the rear. Then I went to pure available light for a long time. But this new stuff is a barrel of fun.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

NancyP

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 03:13:00 pm »

I figured that I could translate Nikon-ese (model numbers, etc) to their Canonista equivalents. Thanks. Humor helps a lot. Phottix seems to have a lot of fans and few detractors, as opposed to YongNuo, which has significant numbers of fans and of detractors (most of whom say that the flash fell apart). I am guessing that Phottix has better QC and is perhaps engineered better.

Manoli

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »

Does McNally talk in general terms that "even a Canonista can understand"?   

Flash terminology is pretty much 'universal' - but if you're in doubt there's a 2nd edition of a Canon dedicated version coming out in April this year ( the 1st edition was released in 2010 but is still available).

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites (2nd Edition)  Paperback – April 27, 2015 - Syl Arena

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up