Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing ICC in Lightroom  (Read 4339 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Installing ICC in Lightroom
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »

I have several custom ICCs that I've made. They are properly installed in the Photoshop spool\driver\color folder and I can select them from CS4 without issues. However in Lightroom they do not show up in the Profile panel, even when I select 'other' and scroll through the whole list.

How do I get these to show up in Lightroom so that I can print with them?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Installing ICC in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:59:22 pm »

Make sure they are RGB profiles, lightroom doesn't do cmyk

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:00:15 pm »

And they go here C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\color

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:09:11 am »

Also remember that you've got to go to 'Other...' at the bottom of the selection box and then select them to show in the standard drop down box.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 07:58:00 am »

Also remember that you've got to go to 'Other...' at the bottom of the selection box and then select them to show in the standard drop down box.

even when I select 'other' and scroll through the whole list.

I think he already did that
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:50:14 am »

Thank you all. You hit exactly all the things I thought of, which is why I'm perplexed. I've added two screen shots. One is the color file with the properties of one of the ICCs I'm looking for opened up. The other is the Lr4 popup from 'other'. This does not show all the ICCs in the screen, but it is alphabetical and the one I want, QTR_1400_RR_FAW_UT14_EB-BLK, should be in the range.

I tried moving all my unused ICCs to a sub folder. This took them out of the Lr4 panel, but the other two did not show up.

I looked in CS4 and the two I want are grouped at bottom along with three others that I created for black and white printing. These are gray scale only ICCs that perhaps Lr4 can't deal with. They are very small, only 5K compared to 800K for standard color ICCs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:25:02 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:57:35 am »

I don't see a *.icc or *.icm file extension after the QTR profiles and maybe this is a problem for Lightroom?  If so, you might try renaming one of the profiles and giving it the file extension name and see if it is now recognized (though it would be strange if LR and PS were coded differently in terms of profile recognition).

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 09:55:46 am »

The file is an ICC. You have to go into the details of the properties panel to see it.

I think the issue is that these are not RGB ICCs. They are monotone created with the Quad Tone RIP Create ICC tool. I noted that they are all grouped together in CS4 with other monotone ICCs. QTR also has a Create ICC-RGB tool that I think I need to use for ICCs in Lr. I noticed that an ICC (for black and white but with a color curve to control the cartridge densities) does show up in Lr. It's the one just above the four checked ICCs in the screen grab.

I think the solution is that I have to recreate the ICCs using the Create ICC-RGB tool if I want to use them in Lr. This raises two other issues: Will I get the same results with the new curve generation? (They never seem to be the same twice!) And, if no color curve is actually added to the Create ICC tool, will it generate a monotone ICC or an RGB ICC.

I'll check it out over on Yahoo Groups, B&W the Print and see what they have to say.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »

The file is an ICC. You have to go into the details of the properties panel to see it.

I think the issue is that these are not RGB ICCs. They are monotone created with the Quad Tone RIP Create ICC tool. I noted that they are all grouped together in CS4 with other monotone ICCs. QTR also has a Create ICC-RGB tool that I think I need to use for ICCs in Lr. I noticed that an ICC (for black and white but with a color curve to control the cartridge densities) does show up in Lr. It's the one just above the four checked ICCs in the screen grab.

I think the solution is that I have to recreate the ICCs using the Create ICC-RGB tool if I want to use them in Lr. This raises two other issues: Will I get the same results with the new curve generation? (They never seem to be the same twice!) And, if no color curve is actually added to the Create ICC tool, will it generate a monotone ICC or an RGB ICC.

I'll check it out over on Yahoo Groups, B&W the Print and see what they have to say.
All my QTR profiles are visible in both PS and LR.  I think that you are correct in that you have to use the Create ICC-RGB tool.  I don't know about the 'same results' as I've only used it this way but you probably should post a note on the QTR user group site, maybe someone there can help out.  I've not had any problems using QTR profiles with LR (Win7 computer, Epson 3880).

Peter Langham

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:56 pm »

I create QTR RGB icc using density information only.  That creates RGB icc that Lightroom will recognize and works the same as a grayscale icc.

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »

Yep, that's the fix Peter. Now all I have to do is recreate my ICCs!

Peter, how do you do your calibration step? I've been using a Q13 card scanned with the printer-controlled printed stepwedge but the results are poor. If I paste in a copy of the 21 stepwedge scale and calibrate off of that, I get better results, but I know this is cheating and is not adjusting for any scanning errors.

What method works for you?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »

I'm not Peter, but will respond anyway.  I create a 21 or 51 B/W patch set using Argyl CMS and then read the patches with an I1 spectro using the same software.  I then paste the readings into the ATR tool as Peter mentioned. 

Peter Langham

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 06:26:34 pm »

I am using a densitometer.   I print out a standard 21 tone strip  (usually the one that comes with QTR) and read those.  I enter the values manually into a text file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up